By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Opinion: The Vita Problem

Sony has one real problem with the Vita and that's the fact that Japanese developers have, up to this point, decided to keep developing for the PSP. Check the Japanese charts each week, PSP games are still pretty big. They're going to need to convince these developers that it's time to move on. They will eventually, I think, as the Vita base grows, but it might take awhile. We'll see. I think we'll get some big announcements next year.

And no, before anyone asks, I don't believe everyone in Japan will simply jump to developing for the 3DS. That would be an incredibly crowded market. It would greatly benefit publishers and developers to expand both markets in the long run.

Around the Network

"In addtion, the Vita needs to be redesigned with a base amount of memory added. At least 16GB but preferably 32GB. "

NOPE. That would only bring up the price. People are already saying its too expensive.

Game size isn't an issue for Vita, 3DS has about the same storage for games and it is doing great. What Vita needs is AAA developers to make AAA games for it. Also, less console-style games, more "made for Vita" games.

VGKing said:
"In addtion, the Vita needs to be redesigned with a base amount of memory added. At least 16GB but preferably 32GB. "

NOPE. That would only bring up the price. People are already saying its too expensive.

Game size isn't an issue for Vita, 3DS has about the same storage for games and it is doing great. What Vita needs is AAA developers to make AAA games for it. Also, less console-style games, more "made for Vita" games.

We have a winner.

I would love to buy a Vita, but it frustrates me to see it promoted as, essentially, a PS3 on the go. I typically don't buy handhelds to play something I wouldn't prefer to play on handhelds. More games like LittleBigPlanet, which are 100% exclusive and make good use of Vita's features, are exactly what I want before I spend a cent on it. I'm not kidding here - I'll gladly buy a Vita if it means more handheld games with console production values, not console games squeezed onto a handheld.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

F0X said:
JoeTheBro said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

It's an infinite loop: The Vita is not selling due to lack of high quality games, and the lack of high quality games is due to the Vita not selling.

Not to mention that handheld consoles are casual by default while the Vita is trying to attract the "hardcore" audience.

You know, by saying that you are saying the 3DS has a lack of high quality games? Going off of metacritic both system's games are neck and neck in quality and quantity.

Really? I could've sworn that 3DS has more 90+ games. Let's also not forget that Virtue's Last Reward is on both systems. Which Metacritic seems to forget...

EDIT: Oh wait. I guess they added reviews since I last checked. But not all of the 3DS version's reviews are there, so the metascore is skewed. The 9.5 from IGN should be for both versions, according to the review. It even said that both versions were basically equal in that review. :P

I really don't care about VLR, it's on both systems... Going off of just exclusives the Vita is neck to neck with the 3DS in terms of quality and grows at a similar rate. Of course since the 3DS has been out for twice as long it beats the Vita in terms of quantity. That doesn't heavily factor in when saying the vita has a "lack of high quality games."

sethnintendo said:
JoeTheBro said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

It's an infinite loop: The Vita is not selling due to lack of high quality games, and the lack of high quality games is due to the Vita not selling.

Not to mention that handheld consoles are casual by default while the Vita is trying to attract the "hardcore" audience.

You know, by saying that you are saying the 3DS has a lack of high quality games? Going off of metacritic both system's games are neck and neck in quality and quantity.

You can ignore metacritic and just state that the Vita just doesn't have a true system seller.

Now that's what I'd agree with. NSMB2 might not even be that great of a game and yet it alone has helped shift more 3DSs than all Vita games combined.

Around the Network
justinian said:
And this is me thinking that the vita problem was that no one was buying it. What do I know?

Even if the console had addressed all the issues you mentioned it would still be a poor seller.

And it's poor sales that is any console's biggest problem...regardless of it's capabilities.

Sony needed to released a handheld that was truly revolutionary. Too many consumers the vita is not, that's it's problem.

If it had included a base amount of memory of 16-32GB internally, it would be selling better.

IamAwsome said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

I wouldn't call all handhelds casual by default. Nintendo tried to make the 3DS seem hardcore to no avail, and Sony tried TOO hard to make the Vita hardcore. One of those systems needs to hit the middle ground to really tap into the handheld market. 

Onto another point: The general cosunsus right now is that the Vita needs games. 

Everyone thought that Uncharted would carry the system, but he just doesn't have the brand power of Mario. People thought that other brand names like Resistance, LBP, and Assassin's Creed would carry it.  Call of Duty has the brand power Sony needs, but the game itself is extremely terrible according to reviews. Other than COD, Uncharted, LBPVita, and various PS3/360 ports, the Vita doesn' t have much to offer; granted it hasn't been out that long, but the games should be here by now. 

With that said, come E3 2013, Sony should come out of the gate with a Gran Turismo game (that will actually launch sometime soon ^_^), and be prepared to show people why they bought the Vita (like Nintendo did with the 3DS in '11). At this past E3, all we really got was PASBR and Call of Duty. We already knew about the games on the show floor, but nothing new? At this point Sony HAS to have something in development for it. If E3 2013 doesn't save the Vita, then at that point nothing will. 

This is the same excuse used with the PS3.  It just needs a killer game.  In the end, it wasn't a killer game that made the difference but a price reduction and a new gamepad.

Then when it wasn't happening, even from first-party developers, the blame went to developers.  I don't think developers are the problem, I think once again we're looking at limitations within the hardware that make it more difficult to make compelling games on the Vita.

THE VITA NEEDS ANDROID SUPPORT!!!! A price cut, and more AAA from Sony. (and maybe a redesign which features an small keypad, if and when it gets android support; a better camera, and internal memory)

They turned the table with the PS3 when they began showing the 1st party exclusives, so now Sony needs to do the same thing, but I think it would take longer because there is only 1 studio focused on VITA games.

It is not that the platform has not games, It already has great 1st party titles like:

Uncharted: GA
Gravity Rush
LittleBigPlanet VITA
Super Star Dust Delta
Escape Plan
Wipeout 2048
Unit 13
Hot Shot Golf
And Many amazing PSP titles

But they need more games and a price cut most importantly. This franchise are "unknown" for the portable market so they need a better incentive to buy the device, so I think a price cut and more games will do it. After that word of mouth will began rolling the thing. Also the platform is getting PS+, so I think Sony is on track to make a reversal of the situation, but I think it will take more time to accomplish it.

Sony´s main problem right now is the reputation the PSP had among most publishers, being it as the main reason why they are not supporting it. And that is why Sony needs to support it more than ever.

EDIT: Sony needs to reduce the price of the custom memory cards.  And bundle each VITA with an 8 gigs card.

JoeTheBro said:
F0X said:
JoeTheBro said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

Really? I could've sworn that 3DS has more 90+ games. Let's also not forget that Virtue's Last Reward is on both systems. Which Metacritic seems to forget...

EDIT: Oh wait. I guess they added reviews since I last checked. But not all of the 3DS version's reviews are there, so the metascore is skewed. The 9.5 from IGN should be for both versions, according to the review. It even said that both versions were basically equal in that review. :P

I really don't care about VLR, it's on both systems... Going off of just exclusives the Vita is neck to neck with the 3DS in terms of quality and grows at a similar rate. Of course since the 3DS has been out for twice as long it beats the Vita in terms of quantity. That doesn't heavily factor in when saying the vita has a "lack of high quality games."

I'll grant you that the 3DS has had a head start, but the Vita exclusive list does not impress me. I'm not seeing much in the way of killer apps - high quality games that move systems - and that's what the Vita desperately needs. I'd argue that the 3DS has at least three, and even more if we count Japanese titles. What does Vita have? Uncharted? Looking back at Metacritic, that doesn't touch the likes of Super Mario 3D Land.

No, I think Sony's approach is almost completely wrong. Vita needs more games like LBP, ones that are good exclusive games that work perfectly in a handheld context, and apply console-level (or nearly so) presentation to them. No more squeezing Uncharted/Assassin's Creed/CoD onto Vita in hopes that a big name will move units. Smart handheld game design will move units (though if Sony can manage to attach a big name to the product, then that's a bonus).

WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

RolStoppable said:
JoeTheBro said:

Now that's what I'd agree with. NSMB2 might not even be that great of a game and yet it alone has helped shift more 3DSs than all Vita games combined.

NSMB2 is way better than any Vita game released so far. Except Sound Shapes, for obvious reasons.

Ugh, no. Sound Shapes features Beck music (not to mention Deadmau5), so NSMB2 wins automatically.