By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - WayForward Would Like To Make A Metroid Game

Tagged games:

Would you like to see them take a crack at a Metroid game?

Yes 14 60.87%

No 3 13.04%

See Results 5 21.74%

Total:22

WayForward Would Like To Make A Metroid Game

Posted Fri, 16 Nov 2012 | 21:00 GMT by Andy Green

Is this the Way Forward for Metroid?

Will you be signing the petition?

WayForward, the developer behind games such as A Boy and his Blob, Mighty Switch Force: Hyper Drive Edition, and the upcoming 3DS title Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why'd You Steal Our Garbage?! has expressed its desire to make a Metroid game.

Responding to a tweet by a fan who thought the studio would do a good job with the franchise, the team seemed pretty enthusiastic about the prospect of developing a game for everyone’s favourite female bounty hunter.

So would we! Someone needs to start a petition! (Because petitions are always super effective!)

WayForward have a good relationship with Nintendo already, with Director and Game Designer Austin Ivansmith saying many of the studio’s games are popular with the Nintendo fanbase and community. Whether or not this relationship is strong enough for them to be entrusted with the Metroid franchise is another matter entirely, but one thing is for certain, the team would love to be given the opportunity.

What do you think? Would you trust WayForward with one of Nintendo’s oldest franchises?

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/11/wayforward_would_like_to_make_a_metroid_game

Would you like to see a 2d Metroid from them? Or would you not trust them with Metroid?

Around the Network

...who?

I've been thinking about this for months now. Shantae and Aliens: Infestation are basically different flavors of Metroid in the first place.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

They did Contra 4 if I'm not mistaken, so sure, why not... can't be any worse than Other M. I nice 2D Metroid-vania style game in the vein of Fusion or Zero Mission would be great.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

At this point I'd give all of my money for a bad imitation of 2D Metroid.

Even if Nintendo don't let them use the name, they should use the publicity from this to make a Metroid-like 3DS game. It wouldn't have any competition.

(No, having a bunch of key-lock 'Metroidvania' upgrades is not enough to qualify)

Around the Network

I need to try out the Adventure Time game more. That's WayForward

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Soleron said:

At this point I'd give all of my money for a bad imitation of 2D Metroid.

Even if Nintendo don't let them use the name, they should use the publicity from this to make a Metroid-like 3DS game. It wouldn't have any competition.

(No, having a bunch of key-lock 'Metroidvania' upgrades is not enough to qualify)

So Shantae doesn't count as "Metroid-like"?

Anyway, @OT, LET THEM DO IT! C'mon Nintendo, it's the perfect opportunity! And while you're at it, let Platinum make that Star Fox game they've been asking for.

the_dengle said:
Soleron said:

So Shantae doesn't count as "Metroid-like"?

Just looked that up and it said non-linear, interconnected world and the upgrades are useful in the world for travel and combat as well as being needed to advance. So I guess it does.

In my eyes, they proved themselves worthy with Shantae: Risky's Revenge. They have what it takes. The only question is, would they be better off making a smaller Metroid as an eShop killer app, or a larger adventure for retail?

Love and tolerate.

RolStoppable said:
Salnax said:
In my eyes, they proved themselves worthy with Shantae: Risky's Revenge. They have what it takes. The only question is, would they be better off making a smaller Metroid as an eShop killer app, or a larger adventure for retail?

Since Metroid is a premier IP, it needs premier treatment. Therefore an eShop release shouldn't even be up for debate.

I wouldn't completely rule out smaller eShop games based on premier IP, but only in addition to retail releases, definitely not as an alternative. I wouldn't say no to more Four Swords games, for instance, but I would if it meant fewer retail Zeldas.