By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - WayForward Would Like To Make A Metroid Game

Tagged games:

Would you like to see them take a crack at a Metroid game?

Yes 14 60.87%

No 3 13.04%

See Results 5 21.74%

Total:22
Soleron said:

Just looked that up and it said non-linear, interconnected world and the upgrades are useful in the world for travel and combat as well as being needed to advance. So I guess it does.

Shantae is frequently compared to Metroid; I haven't played it yet, but from what I've heard it follows the Metroid formula pretty closely, with some great twists that make it unique. I thought maybe you considered Shantae more 'Metroidvania' like you were talking about, but I guess you just hadn't heard much about it. :P

Anyway, I'd love for WayForward to tackle Metroid after they finish this Shantae game. If you're itching for some Metroid action on your 3DS ASAP, Risky's Revenge is available in the DSiWare section for a kinda-steep-but-probably-worth-it price of $12.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Salnax said:
In my eyes, they proved themselves worthy with Shantae: Risky's Revenge. They have what it takes. The only question is, would they be better off making a smaller Metroid as an eShop killer app, or a larger adventure for retail?

Since Metroid is a premier IP, it needs premier treatment. Therefore an eShop release shouldn't even be up for debate.

Since when is Metroid a premier IP? It doesn't even have a dedicated studio. Sure, a lot of Nintendo fans act like the series is a big deal, but compared to other Nintendo series, Metroid is small-time, selling on average under a million units a year throughout its history. Your beloved NSMB2 will probably outsell the entire Metroid franchise singlehandedly.

Besides, WayForward tends to take on a bunch of projects at a time. I think they'll have a total of five games released in 2012. They probably don't have or aren't willing to devote the resources to make a retail Metroid game.

Though now that I'm thinking about it, I suppose Sakamoto and at least a few other Nintendo employees would be devoted to any Metroid project. So if Nintendo wanted to do a collaborative effort like Other M, they could. I'm just worried about how well that went the last time.

Love and tolerate.

I don't care who does the next Metroid game, but they better not use the voice actress from Other M and go back to Jennifer Hale for full voice acting with actual dialogs instead of just effect sounds like in the Prime Trilogy or I'll have a shit fit.

This is entertaining, but very very out of the question. A game developer like WayForward thrives on making a handful of smaller, lower budget games every year and would not have the time/resources to make a huge metroid-scale game, much less metroid itself.

RolStoppable said:
blackstarr said:
This is entertaining, but very very out of the question. A game developer like WayForward thrives on making a handful of smaller, lower budget games every year and would not have the time/resources to make a huge metroid-scale game, much less metroid itself.

Since Metroid is Nintendo's IP, Nintendo would fund the project. Therefore time and money wouldn't be an issue for WayForward, because Nintendo would cover these things. And in case WayForward needed more staff, Nintendo would be more than willing to have a few of their own people co-developing the game to ensure the desired quality of the final product.

The only question in all of this is if Nintendo is still interested in making a proper Metroid game. The same holds probably true for several other of their IPs, because there are definitely third party developers who would like to work on Nintendo properties (like Platinum Games who has shown interest in Star Fox).

How much do you think a Metroid game would have to sell in order to interest Nintendo? A million copies or so on the 3DS? Because Metroid has generally seen less and less sales over the years. The last two handheld Metroids couldn't even reach the million-mark. Admittedly, one was a remake and the other was an FPS, but that's still not encouraging.

I don't enjoy being a Negative Nancy. I really liked the non-Prime Hunters Metroid games I've played. I'm just skeptical of the series' future, especially after the Other M fiasco.

Love and tolerate.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Salnax said:

How much do you think a Metroid game would have to sell in order to interest Nintendo? A million copies or so on the 3DS? Because Metroid has generally seen less and less sales over the years. The last two handheld Metroids couldn't even reach the million-mark. Admittedly, one was a remake and the other was an FPS, but that's still not encouraging.

I don't enjoy being a Negative Nancy. I really liked the non-Prime Hunters Metroid games I've played. I'm just skeptical of the series' future, especially after the Other M fiasco.

This is Nintendo we are talking about, so sales do not really determine how interested they are. Remember, it took them six years to release a sequel to NSMB and if the 3DS wasn't a failure, then NSMB2 would have come even later or perhaps not at all. It's basically just a question of "do they want to make a game or do they not", because games with lower sales potential than Metroid aren't uncommon.

The worst thing about this is that giving WayForward a chance on Metroid (as well as giving other third parties an opportunity to work with Nintendo IPs) would benefit everyone, but Nintendo doesn't seem to see it. It would strengthen Nintendo's bonds with a given third party developer, it would increase the number of interesting games on their system (thus keeping their business more stable) and gamers would see new entries to their beloved series more often.

One problem that can arise with outsourcing is that the developer might be crappy, but here we are looking at cases where great talent is actually excited to work on these games. WayForward would like to make a Metroid game, Platinum Games would like to make a Star Fox game. Nintendo themselves is currently not interested in making new entries to these series, so it's win-win-win all around.

The best thing that Nintendo can do with their money is to invest it into game development, because that way they are going to make even more money. But during the last two or so years it seems that they've looked at anything but games to expand their business. It's time that they get back to what made them great in the first place instead of pursuing non-gaming opportunities. I hear stuff about Miiverse and Nintendo TVii and have to ask myself why is Nintendo making it so hard for me to buy a Wii U. Just where are the damn games? ... I better stop now, because I'll just get too angry otherwise. It's going too far off-topic as well.

I support the idea of giving game developers a chance to develop Nintendo IPs... I love that with Wii U we are seeing healthy collaboration (Ninja Gaiden 3 is a much better game this time, Tekken has Nintendo-themed suits, Bayonetta 2, even Super Smash Brothers.)

Specifically, with this situation, a game developer like WayForward has not proved themselves because of several decent games in the eShop. A small developer that Nintendo should continue to support through eshop promotion for sure, but I'm not ready to pay retail price for any of their games yet.

Salnax said:
RolStoppable said:
blackstarr said:

Since Metroid is Nintendo's IP, Nintendo would fund the project. Therefore time and money wouldn't be an issue for WayForward, because Nintendo would cover these things. And in case WayForward needed more staff, Nintendo would be more than willing to have a few of their own people co-developing the game to ensure the desired quality of the final product.

The only question in all of this is if Nintendo is still interested in making a proper Metroid game. The same holds probably true for several other of their IPs, because there are definitely third party developers who would like to work on Nintendo properties (like Platinum Games who has shown interest in Star Fox).

Metroid generally has a range of 1-3 million. Not great, but reliable

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

After playing the goodness that is Shantae: Risky's Revenge and the excellent Mighty Switch Force, I trust them. These guys are great. If either of those games bore the Nintendo name, I wouldn't even blink an eye. They have the Nintendo feel down pat.