By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 5 reasons wii u will be the ps2 of next generation

That´s a weak article.

I don´t see any console being a 'new PS2'..the market has changed considerably since the early 2000´s, so much I´m not sure we´ll ever see 'another PS2'.

Around the Network

I mostly agree
the WiiU will be the PS2 of the upcoming gen

Now now OP, don't lets be silly.

I fully expect the Wii-U to do well, and be a good profitable machine for Nintendo.

I don't believe anything is going to be the PS2 of next generation, because I don't believe that kind of dominance is going to happen ever again. It would require Nintendo to get everything right and get all the important third-party exclusives, including games that I believe are never going to go exclusive again.

The other two would have have to get plenty of things wrong as well. Sony got plenty of things wrong this generation and that still didn't put them out of the game.

Even if, for arguments sake, Wii-U did become a beast. I doubt many of the factors in the OP are going to come into play. #1, as other people have pointed out, has hardly ever lead to generation-winning. #2 isn't particularly a reason of any sort, nor is #4 (you can't make swinging presumptions this early in the game).

Vgchartz already had turkish. Then appeared his Nintendo counterpart. The universe needed to balance itself.

Game of the year 2017 so far:

5. Resident Evil VII
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
1. Super Mario Odyssey

JGarret said:
That´s a weak article.

I don´t see any console being a 'new PS2'..the market has changed considerably since the early 2000´s, so much I´m not sure we´ll ever see 'another PS2'.

Agreed. I doubt there will ever be another PS2 ever. It was just a perfect storm.

As for the OP, these are weak arguments. I expect the Wii U to be a success -- maybe 70-80 million units sold -- but not for the reasons the author expounds.

Around the Network

"We are sorry for neglecting the core base...so here is a bunch of ports of other core games you probably already played on your 360 and/or PS3."

Seriously, why all the ports Nintendo?

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Attoyou said:
First?
SNES > GEN
PS1 >Saturn
PS2 > Dreamcast
Wii > 360

First never wins. Wii U doomed confirmed.

You forgot about NES > Sega Master System

Interesting article. Lots I disagree with, lots I agree with.

It will greatly help Nintendo to be the first to market, like it helped the PS2 to come in before the xbox and the cube.

And the Playstation brand will not enjoy the same lauch support this gen, that is already pretty obvious.

Kyuubi Ricky SSJ2 said:
Attoyou said:
First?
SNES > GEN
PS1 >Saturn
PS2 > Dreamcast
Wii > 360

First never wins. Wii U doomed confirmed.

You forgot about NES > Sega Master System

Damn this mind of mine, forgetting things all the time. 

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

kain_kusanagi said:
2. "I'm skeptical" you said that 7 years ago
Things have changed a lot in those seven years.

3. Launch lineup
Dreamcast had the best launch lineup in the history of gaming and continued to have stellar games each month.

For 2 you seem to be missing what I am saying. I am not talking about a shift in market. I am talking about control shift. The balance of power is constantly shifting in the home console market. My point at 2 is microsoft managed to prove a lot of people wrong because people were skeptical of 360. It never crossed many minds that sony might actually make mistakes and microsoft could claim a large chunk of their market.

I don't see what 3 has to do with dreamcast. I was saying wii u is getting a very strong lineup. Which it is.

@ Kresnik its just stuff I wanted to throw out there. I know there are plenty of factors that can play against nintendo. Just things to consider on the table. I think wii u could be a beast.

One more thing to complete my year = senran kagura localization =D