By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Wii U Will Sell Out, Sell Faster Than Wii (during first holiday season)

noname2200 said:
VicViper said:

Yeah, unless Wii U proves to be a disruptor, it just can't compete with the wii.

A product needn't be disruptive to be successful. That said, I don't see much in the Wii U, or the latter half of the Wii itself, to indicate that Nintendo intends to carry on with the values that made the Wii a disruptor, so...*shrug*

Despite the successful launch, with pre orders selling out everywhere and all that, do you get the impression the excitement that was felt six years ago, a few days before the Wii launched, just isn´t really here for the Wii U?

I don´t know, that´s the impression I´m getting, and despite the stories about the system selling out fast and the OP´s article regarding the Wii U´s launch, something seems off...don´t even know how to explain and/or show you what I mean, but I´m just not feeling all that excitement that usually comes with a new console, especially when I compare it to the Wii six years ago.

Around the Network
JGarret said:
noname2200 said:
VicViper said:

Yeah, unless Wii U proves to be a disruptor, it just can't compete with the wii.

A product needn't be disruptive to be successful. That said, I don't see much in the Wii U, or the latter half of the Wii itself, to indicate that Nintendo intends to carry on with the values that made the Wii a disruptor, so...*shrug*

Despite the successful launch, with pre orders selling out everywhere and all that, do you get the impression the excitement that was felt six years ago, a few days before the Wii launched, just isn´t really here for the Wii U?

I don´t know, that´s the impression I´m getting, and despite the stories about the system selling out fast and the OP´s article regarding the Wii U´s launch, something seems off...don´t even know how to explain and/or show you what I mean, but I´m just not feeling all that excitement that usually comes with a new console, especially when I compare it to the Wii six years ago.

To be honest, I also share that impression. I'm not surprised, since the Wii was exceptional in this regard, but I also get the impression that the excitement is below what the PS3 received as well. The closest analogy I can think of is the 360, whose launch (if memory serves) was met with something closer to a shrug than anything.

There would be something wrong if they didn't sell out quickly this winter, not only is it a new Nintendo system it's the only new console we've had in six years, lol. There should be enough demand over Christmas to ensure it's sold out.

I don't think it will have anywhere close to the post-launch craze the Wii did though. That thing was sold out like all through 2007 and into 2008.

Wii Sports is a tired idea by now (like Brain Training and Nintendogs), they needed something new, Nintendo Land is what they came up with.

I think launch hysteria/hype is somewhat muted this time though because the Wii U tablet isn't the game changer the Wii Remote was for 2006. The Wii U feels more like Nintendo finally catching up to Sony/MS' HD consoles (720p graphics, actual emphasis on an online network, getting ports of some HD franchises, ability to download full games from an eShop, friends lists, etc.) than "OMG! I've never seen or played anything like this before!!".

That's why there isn't more hype.

I really haven't realize such demand yet, but you never know.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

I thought Nintendo has said there would be 5.5 million at launch. Down from 5.83 Million at launch of the Wii. PLUS, some Wii U will be white, not the system people are looking for. Wii U black is going to a MAJOR seller this winter.

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
noname2200 said:
JGarret said:

To be honest, I also share that impression. I'm not surprised, since the Wii was exceptional in this regard, but I also get the impression that the excitement is below what the PS3 received as well. The closest analogy I can think of is the 360, whose launch (if memory serves) was met with something closer to a shrug than anything.

Yup, it is similar to the 360 launch. No real anticipation and people wondering if it was really next gen material, because the perceived graphical leap seemed so small and the competitors' systems still largely existed in a fantasy world (remember, the PS3 in particular was supposed to blow the 360 out of the water).

yes most expected the PS3 to be more powerful than the 360, however no one questioned how powerful the 360 was vs the previous generation, it was quite obvious. The only similarity between the 360 and the WiiU is they both released first in their generation.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Moonhero said:
I thought Nintendo has said there would be 5.5 million at launch. Down from 5.83 Million at launch of the Wii. PLUS, some Wii U will be white, not the system people are looking for. Wii U black is going to a MAJOR seller this winter.

They plan to ship 5.5 million in the launch quarter.  That means up to March 31st, 2013.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

RolStoppable said:

Yup, it is similar to the 360 launch. No real anticipation and people wondering if it was really next gen material, because the perceived graphical leap seemed so small and the competitors' systems still largely existed in a fantasy world (remember, the PS3 in particular was supposed to blow the 360 out of the water).

Nihil sub solem novum.

The WiiU has a ton of great content to cater to people this holiday season. When picking up a gift, WiiU will be an interesting option. I think it's still too early to tell, wait yet another few weeks.

I have seen people put their hands on the U at my local gamestop, and they were having fun. It will be big, just more of an unexpected hit. The screen is beautiful too. (controller's a bit cumbersome, but It's a non-issue since we have the pro-controller, which most of us will be getting and the younger and non-gamers wouldn't care)

psrock said:
RolStoppable said:

[...]  The only similarity between the 360 and the WiiU is they both released first in their generation.

This is actually good news for Nintendo, at least initially.  Nintendo expects 5.5m units sold by March 31, 2013; whereas it took the 360 an entire year on the market to accomplish that.