By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why did Sony go with Super Smash Bros. too instead of Super Mario Bros. too?

Tagged games:

pezus said:
fighter said:
pezus said:
fighter said:
pezus said:

Did I say I was offended? People can call me a fanboy without me getting offended, but it's against the rules so I'd expect the banhammer to swing.

you seem pretty offended by them, and oddly so considering how many similar inoffensive memes populate the web

otherwise i really cannot understand why you would be so picky on these and, despite your long record of postng on this website, not by facepalms

You seem to be missing the point. It's not a question of me being offended or not, it's about holding up the same standards each time. 

do you (hold the same standards each time) ?

have you also requested teh hammer of bannitude on facepalms and other illustrations of belittlement and offensiveness ?

Not facepalms, but that's not the gif/pic I was talking about.

making it so hard... gifs of laughter... not more offensive than facepalm memes... and still you don't see the point ?

i give up

Around the Network

Title doesn't make any sense. I hope English isn't your first language.

OT: Nothing can compete with Mario. No point in trying.

ok as a PS/ninty fan the dominant Playstation side in me is going to be honest(like always)

Is Little Big Planet a superior 2d platformer to Mario? FUCK NO!!!! And it doesn't need to be..

Little Big Planet is still new to the game(the whole gaming scene as a whole) and LBP needs work. i also agree with what @Rol was trying to say. Mario is overly set in pretty much all of the 2d platformer categories. Mario has the unforgettable enemies like the giant ant(goomba), the turtle(koopa), the plant that bites(piranha plant) and so many more and yet they are so simple at the same time. It Has the unforgettable boss that was a big ass turtle with spikes(Bowser). It has the memorable friends like Yoshi, luigi, peach and more. Nintendo has done a phenomenal job with the whole Mario series while still keeping it simple at the same time and this is why Mario is the undisputed king in the 2d platformer genre.

Little Big Planet is the undisputed king in the Play, create, share genre. LBP is a pcs game before it is a 2d platformer and that's just the way it is. Mario does some things better than LBP and LBP does some things better than Mario so I can understand and see how some could like LBP more than Mario and vice versa.

LBP at this point is very good but the still need to expand the franchise though. I want to see some more memorable characters on sackboys side that ARE NOT other sackboys. Give me a memorable rival to sackboy and bring in some memorable well thought out enemies as well. Sony just needs to expand the franchise a bit more and LBP will be fine.

So yea LBP IS NOT a better platformer than Mario at this point and it doesn't need to be. I also don't need for a reviewer to tell me what's better because I can still play SONY and NINTENDO games without being biased towards a company just like I did when I was a kid before I ever realized that my 2 favorite game company's were actually in competition with each other.

Edit: and to answer some earlier speculation about Crash Team Racing in this thread...

Yes ,Crash Team Racing was better than Mario Kart but it's not really fair to compare an old game like CTR to the newer Mario Karts of today but CTR was definitely better than Mario Kart 64. The only Kart game that could stand its own against CTR was Diddy Kong Racing

Im not trying to stir my fellow Nintendo fans up by saying this but hey it is what it is

Just saying..

DOUBLE EDIT: ... Wack ass auto correct smh

We all know that sales = quality:

And don't fool yourselves people you know CTR was superior to Mario K 64.

Jay520 said:
Mr Khan said:

Because when they don't... this happens. Asserting opinion as if it is fact is going to derail discourse. Not in any way that is moderatable, but in a way that should be discouraged in order to foster good discussion.

Although this thread is much longer than many we've had recently, so who knows...

What I get from this is that there's nothing necessarily wrong with asserting your opinion without explicitly saying "imo." Rather, it's the reaction that's the problem. This shows me that it's the other people posts who should be discouraged, not the original post. Saying something is wrong because other people can't react respectfully doesn't make sense to me. The other people's actions should be what's wrong.

Now, of course, if he were making several posts and constantly quoting people asserting his opinion, then that should be discouraged. However, he made one post in response to the OP. That one post was met with responses also claiming an opinion as fact. However, unlike Bananaking's post, the responses were often riddled with beliitling and undermining remarks. Those are the posts that should be discouraged, not the original post.

People can have a decent discussion without explicitly typing "imo" as long as they remain respectful. The problem isn't a lack of "imo," the problem is a lack of respect. Disrespect should be discouraged, not the exclusion of "imo." 

I think a major problem here is the confusion of opinion with preference.

I may prefer chocolate to vanilla, but I'm not going to claim the former is superior to the latter.  Such a claim would not be preferential.  In fact, to do so would imply I have an argument for to believe that.  As such, one might inquire as to my argument or begin giving their own counter-argument to that.

An opinion is a falsifiable belief held by an individual; a preference is a taste.  One cannot really disagree with a person who says they prefer one thing to another ("I don't believe you actually like chocolate over vanilla!"  "...Actually I'm pretty sure I do"), but one can disagree with a person who say one things is better than another.

I think this has been a major problem with this site's community.  Users have often made statements of quality and then equivocated those to be merely matters of preference, thus protecting their argument from refutation.  In Bananaking's case, he initially said that LBP was superior to SMB (which is an arguable opinion, not a preference) and then it was claimed, by him or others, that this was merely an opinion (read: preference), which is that subtle way of protecting an argument.

Okami

To lavish praise upon this title, the assumption of a common plateau between player and game must be made.  I won't open my unworthy mouth.

Christian (+50).  Arminian(+20). AG adherent(+20). YEC(+20). Pre-tribulation Pre-milleniumist (+10).  Republican (+15) Capitalist (+15).  Pro-Nintendo (+5).  Misc. stances (+30).  TOTAL SCORE: 195
  http://quizfarm.com/test.php?q_id=43870 <---- Fun theology quiz
Around the Network

LBP is more in the same gene as "The Incredible Machine" than it is to SMB.
No. It's not a better platformer because it's not a platformer to being with.

Galaki said:

Are you telling me this isn't a platformer?

Wow how did I missed this thread!?

Anyway, imo the only thing Little Big Planet has over SMB is the level editor and all the things you can unlocked and create. But other than that the game isn't that special, the controls aren't bad but they aren't as precise as 2D Mario games. And for me the game lacks colors, it's soulless, and some of the "creatures" in the game can really freak out a little kid (I have seen it myself lol). 

This is completely my personal preferences but I like speed running in games (specially platformers), and LBP lacks that aspect a little bit, you can obviously speed run the game but it's not as satisfactory as Rayman Origins, DKCR or VVVVVV. Mario is more fast paste so it also feels more satisfactory beating the stages fast.

Nintendo and PC gamer

JoeTheBro said:
Galaki said:

Shirley, you're not trying to compare Frogger.

Galaki said:
JoeTheBro said:
Galaki said:

Shirley, you're not trying to compare Frogger.

Thought it was obvious, that's a LBP Vita level.