By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why did Sony go with Super Smash Bros. too instead of Super Mario Bros. too?

Tagged games:

Jay520 said:
DanneSandin said:
JustThatGamer said:
You people pathetically arguing about what game's better is just embarrassing. 

And calling people pathetic isn't... pathetic?

He called no one pathetic. He's saying the manner of which some are 'arguing' is pathetic.

Back to OP guys, talk about the games!!

Okay, so I haven't played much of Little Big Planet, but from what I've seen it has enough to differentiate itself from Mario that it can't be called a Mario clone.

However PASBR is a smash clone, no doubt about it. In that sense, they have yet to make one "too". If they did try to emulate the great platforming controls and visuals of games like SMB & SMB3, they could make some serious cash.

Around the Network
Jay520 said:
DanneSandin said:
JustThatGamer said:
You people pathetically arguing about what game's better is just embarrassing. 

And calling people pathetic isn't... pathetic?

He called no one pathetic. He's saying the manner of which some are 'arguing' is pathetic.

Ok, he called our actions pathetic. much better.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

DanneSandin said:
bananaking21 said:
DanneSandin said:
bananaking21 said:

where did i say SMB wasnt a better game in reviews opinion? im just saying that doesnt matter now, as that game is now 30 years old and doesnt matter (to sony or nintendo) because it doesnt sell systems. the games that sell systems are the games that are coming out now, thats what i was saying.thats why i was comparing the newer games. what matters is what is coming out now. if you must know in my opinion i prefer super mario land on the snes more than LBP, i cant honestly say that that is an objective choice as my memories of super mario land are filled with nostalgia, its probably the first video game i ever played (cant remember i been playing for literally as long as i remember) and i havent played the game for over 15 years. i would have to play the game again. i cant give an objective opinion on which game is better because of that reason. i have to play mario again and only then can i give my personal opinion

When you said that LBP was superior and started to list metacritic scores to back up this claim. If that's not insinuating that LBP is better then I don't know what is! It doesn't matter to the OP, but it DOES matter to your statement that LBP is superior to Super Mario Bros - which it isn't, and even YOU are now opening up to the possibility that SMB is better with the first sentence in your last reply (seen above).

Even if we look past this superior game compared to LBP, what you are saying is that; sales matters. "the games that sell systems are the games that are coming out now, thats what i was saying.thats why i was comparing the newer games. what matters is what is coming out now"<---- your words. And by this statement we can logically assume that sales matters. NSMB sold more than all of LBP games put together. It's therefore superior.

ok please listen to what im saying, in the past couple of generations LBP has been superior and the reasons i say this is based on what i have been saying all along and i wont repeat them again. Metacritic scores made by professional reviewers?

as for what i said about the first SMB, to reviewers it might be a better game than littlebigplanet yes.Which should mean that SMB is in fact superior to LBP, since you are using professional review scores to back up your claim that LBP would be better.

but thats one game in one franchise after all, And many reviewers feel that either of SMB3 or SMW is in fact better than SMB, which should make them superior to LBP as well?

secondly when i said it matters i clearly said to nintendo and sony and i never said that sales matter to detrmine the quality of a game. i also said whats coming out now is what matters to again, sony and nintendo because because these games are what people are buying now, not a 30 year old game. also i clearly said the sales matter only to sony and nintendo, not to the gamer or the quality of the game, you misunderstood me. I see your point

so you said SMW is considered by reviews as the best game of all time, then now SMB3 and SMW are better than it? that doesnt match up if you ask me. and again littlebigplanet hasnt been around those days so you cant compare them. the ones you can compare them to is the recent SMB games because they released in about the same time frame, not 30 years appart

@Jay: Yes. Go back and Jak & Daxter is like Crash, directly aimed at Mario.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

bananaking21 said:
DanneSandin said:
bananaking21 said:
DanneSandin said:

When you said that LBP was superior and started to list metacritic scores to back up this claim. If that's not insinuating that LBP is better then I don't know what is! It doesn't matter to the OP, but it DOES matter to your statement that LBP is superior to Super Mario Bros - which it isn't, and even YOU are now opening up to the possibility that SMB is better with the first sentence in your last reply (seen above).

Even if we look past this superior game compared to LBP, what you are saying is that; sales matters. "the games that sell systems are the games that are coming out now, thats what i was saying.thats why i was comparing the newer games. what matters is what is coming out now"<---- your words. And by this statement we can logically assume that sales matters. NSMB sold more than all of LBP games put together. It's therefore superior.

ok please listen to what im saying, in the past couple of generations LBP has been superior and the reasons i say this is based on what i have been saying all along and i wont repeat them again. Metacritic scores made by professional reviewers?

as for what i said about the first SMB, to reviewers it might be a better game than littlebigplanet yes.Which should mean that SMB is in fact superior to LBP, since you are using professional review scores to back up your claim that LBP would be better.

but thats one game in one franchise after all, And many reviewers feel that either of SMB3 or SMW is in fact better than SMB, which should make them superior to LBP as well?

secondly when i said it matters i clearly said to nintendo and sony and i never said that sales matter to detrmine the quality of a game. i also said whats coming out now is what matters to again, sony and nintendo because because these games are what people are buying now, not a 30 year old game. also i clearly said the sales matter only to sony and nintendo, not to the gamer or the quality of the game, you misunderstood me. I see your point

so you said SMW is considered by reviews as the best game of all time, then now SMB3 and SMW are better than it? that doesnt match up if you ask me. and again littlebigplanet hasnt been around those days so you cant compare them. the ones you can compare them to is the recent SMB games because they released in about the same time frame, not 30 years appart

Yes, I even provided you with a list where it's hailed as one of the best games ever. But that doesn't mean that there are reviewers out there calling SMB3 and SMW the best games ever. It only adds to what I'm trying to say: SMB>>>>>LBP.

And with your way of thinking we shouldn't compare Citizen Cain or the God Father with contemporary movies, because there's too many years apart. It's one thing to NOT compare the special effects of STar Wars to the Avengers, since there's 30 years between them, but as far as plot and characterizing goes this is actually very comparable. We can't compare SMB's graphics to LBP, but we can compare controls and game play.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network
psrock said:
looks like the thread intention backfired on the OP.

Well, only if you mean that this thread got more serious than he intended.

I really don't like when some people under the cover of a heated thread start bashing the posiion of others.

People should know that this thread was meant as a joke. 200 replies in less than a day, I almost forgot that feeling.

Faxanadu said:
@Jay520: I am talking about Crash Bandicoot, Jak & Daxter etc. Platformers that directly aimed at SMB in the past.

??? Ok could you explain to me exactly how jak & Daxter was aimed at Mario? The only platformer that was aimed at Mario was Crash Bandicoot and that was more of a direct rival thing more so than a copy thing. 

I'm not sure if it's even worth posting in this thread anymore since it is filled with moronic (insert Nintendo/Sony) soldiers but hopefully they have crawled back to their caves by now.

Any one heard of puppeteer?

Surprising amount of replies for what I would consider a below-average attempt at a troll thread.

Guess it was much better than I thought!

JoeTheBro said:

I'm not sure if it's even worth posting in this thread anymore since it is filled with moronic (insert Nintendo/Sony) soldiers but hopefully they have crawled back to their caves by now.

Any one heard of puppeteer?

Yea puppeteer looks good. I think puppeteer is the game that could bring life back to the 2d platformer genre(im talking about direction when I say this). The direction puppeteer is going in is the direction I think 2d platformers should go in from here on out. I would love to see Megaman brought back with this direction