By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why did Sony go with Super Smash Bros. too instead of Super Mario Bros. too?

Tagged games:

Rafux said:

We all know that sales = quality:

And don't fool yourselves people you know CTR was superior to Mario K 64.

Good game but mario kart when based on the music and awesome levels like rainbow road ;)

"Excuse me sir, I see you have a weapon. Why don't you put it down and let's settle this like gentlemen"  ~ max

Around the Network
JoeTheBro said:
Galaki said:
JoeTheBro said:
Galaki said:
LBP is more in the same gene as "The Incredible Machine" than it is to SMB.
No. It's not a better platformer because it's not a platformer to being with.

Are you telling me this isn't a platformer?

Shirley, you're not trying to compare Frogger.

Thought it was obvious, that's a LBP Vita level.

So, you're trying to tell me that LBP Vita is a Frogger clone, not a Mario Bros. clone?

the_dengle said:
Have you played Battle Royale? Clearly, character balancing was not one of Sony's concerns.

Seemed pretty well balanced to me, Maybe you weren't very good at the game?

think-man said:
the_dengle said:
Have you played Battle Royale? Clearly, character balancing was not one of Sony's concerns.

Seemed pretty well balanced to me, Maybe you weren't very good at the game?

lol there's always that comeback.

oni-link said:

LOL...yups sounds like the same denial that Sony fans have been making for quite sometime now!!! Jeez talk about hypocrisy, I still remember the meltdowns and whines about Dante's Inferno being a God of War clone!!! I don't care if Sony ripped-off Smash Bros, it's a successful franchise; naturally Sony would like to copy that.  What beffuddles me is even denying the copy when in fact it's so blatantly obvious!!!

First off.  Dante's Inferno is amazing.  God of War is garbage in comparison.  It's a ripoff, but such an amazing game.

As for Playstation All Stars, the only thing you can argue that Playstation All Stars ripped from Smash Bros is the graphical style.  Franchise mash ups have been out before Super Smash Bros.  King of Fighters and Marvel vs Capcom anyone?  You don't see MvC fans crying that Nintendo stole Capcom's idea on video game mash ups.  King of Fighters came out first, but just using Capcom in the example.

So even if you were able to say Sony did their mash up fighting game franchise just because Nintendo did, which everyone knows they did, if you've actually played the game, you'd realize that even outside of the "you can only kill with supers," it's a completely different game.  One thing Smash Bros does excel on far beyond what Playstation All Stars does is the use of items.  Some items are worth acquiring on PSASBR but most items are better to just skip by unless the opponent is close to their level three as you're penalizing yourself by using them.   When it comes to characters though, Smash Bros characters all feel like you're playing the same character with different statistics.  I'm not even describing the clones, but all of the characters regular attacks could be argued that they're all exactly the same.  Each character has a different speed, different range of attack, etc, but all of their attacks are going to be the same.  Whether it's the multi punch in front of them by hitting A repeatedly, their directional swings, their smash attacks whichever direction, attacking both sides if hitting a down Smash, every character is almost a duplicate outside of stats.... and, the four attacks each character gets.  Four unique attacks, up B, side B, B, and down B. 

Now only by playing the betas, no Playstation All Star character feels alike.  Not even remotely similar.  Obviously due to the simplified controls it doesn't take long how to figure out how to play asa each character, atleast on a basic level, but you have an entirely different experience playing as Sly than if you were to play as Parappa, etc.  Not only that, but while retaining the simplified gameplay, Playstation All Stars can be a combo heavy game.  Parappa has his side mic dash, linking to a mic grab, neutral punch, slide, shoulder, uppercut, then finish with a mic dash for a 115AP full combo with the added bonus of 25AP for hitting a 100AP combo.  Also puts the person who received the 100AP combo in an invincible state.

I'm a Smash Bros fan and didn't think that Playstation All Stars was going to be as good as it was.  Being a first party title it's quite obvious it wasn't going to be as bad as Dreammix TV, but I was thinking something along the lines of, really good, just not Smash Bros good.  I have to say I'm quite impressed and that it's better than Smash Bros.

Unless you've played the game, don't bash it, because looks can be very deceiving.

As for balancing issues,  everyone you see complaining about Radec/Kratos being overpowered are just noobs.  These characters have noticeable attack delays and/or recovery times with all of their attacks.  The only overpowered thing in the game is Sly's side triangle electric roll, which has an extremely quick recovery time, high AP gain, has priority over most attacks, and after both a connected hit or block, he's safe by anything but a quick mid range attack.

A Playstation All Stars Combo video by Superbot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_Eg-olsGUc

--

As for the Super Mario Bros me too comment?  LBP isn't as good as the early Mario games, but neither are Nintendo's current Mario games.  The LBP series mops the floor with any of the Mario platformers released this gen.  Who cares though.  If you want to play the best platformer this gen, look no further than Prinny.

As platformer games are my second favorite genre, it really saddens me that this gen doesn't have very many titles that are any good.  There are a few good indie games here and there, Super Meat Boy being the most overrated one in my opinion, but that's it.  A few good indie titles, a few good titles by large developers, but mostly nothing.

If you are a platformer fan and have yet to play Prinny and Prinny 2, then you're doing yourself a major disservice.  Whether it's fanboyism tying you to a single console, or the fact that NIS constantly puts out garbage video games(don't worry, only their RPGs are bad,) put all of that aside and get these games. These games are hard, but it's like playing the earlier Castlevania games, etc.  They were difficult, but the difficulty was never cheap or unfair(except for CV Adventure or Vampire Killer.)

Here's a speed run.  You're probably not going to be even close to this good.  I'm actually surprised how good the player is and I think I'm good at the game.  Although at the same time, this is just replays of his saved videos of each stage.  So after a few retries I could make a video that looks almost as good.  I have some Mega Man and Castlevania videos if anyone wants to  check them out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnp93PM95oA

Around the Network

Actually superbot copied ssb not sony. All sony did was give them the rights to bring all the playstation characters together no matter the genre. Superbot chose it to be a fighter not sony

What an ugly thread this became. I know someone that's pretty happy about that though.

With regards to the debate, it would seem that PASBR is far closer to being a SSB clone that LBP is to being a 2D Mario clone.

The latter 2 games are of such a vastly different style and approach that they really are not directly comparable.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

kupomogli said:

When it comes to characters though, Smash Bros characters all feel like you're playing the same character with different statistics.  I'm not even describing the clones, but all of the characters regular attacks could be argued that they're all exactly the same.  Each character has a different speed, different range of attack, etc, but all of their attacks are going to be the same.  Whether it's the multi punch in front of them by hitting A repeatedly, their directional swings, their smash attacks whichever direction, attacking both sides if hitting a down Smash, every character is almost a duplicate outside of stats.... and, the four attacks each character gets.  Four unique attacks, up B, side B, B, and down B. 

Apparently, Jigglypuff, Zero Suit Samus, Snake, Ice Climbers, Olimar, and Diddy Kong are all just the same character with different stats.  And here I've been using them all in a radically different manner.  I guess I've been doing it wrong.

Rafux said:

i still have the disc for that... fun times

kupomogli said:
oni-link said:

LOL...yups sounds like the same denial that Sony fans have been making for quite sometime now!!! Jeez talk about hypocrisy, I still remember the meltdowns and whines about Dante's Inferno being a God of War clone!!! I don't care if Sony ripped-off Smash Bros, it's a successful franchise; naturally Sony would like to copy that.  What beffuddles me is even denying the copy when in fact it's so blatantly obvious!!!

First off.  Dante's Inferno is amazing.  God of War is garbage in comparison.  It's a ripoff, but such an amazing game.

As for Playstation All Stars, the only thing you can argue that Playstation All Stars ripped from Smash Bros is the graphical style.  Franchise mash ups have been out before Super Smash Bros.  King of Fighters and Marvel vs Capcom anyone?  You don't see MvC fans crying that Nintendo stole Capcom's idea on video game mash ups.  King of Fighters came out first, but just using Capcom in the example.

So even if you were able to say Sony did their mash up fighting game franchise just because Nintendo did, which everyone knows they did, if you've actually played the game, you'd realize that even outside of the "you can only kill with supers," it's a completely different game.  One thing Smash Bros does excel on far beyond what Playstation All Stars does is the use of items.  Some items are worth acquiring on PSASBR but most items are better to just skip by unless the opponent is close to their level three as you're penalizing yourself by using them.   When it comes to characters though, Smash Bros characters all feel like you're playing the same character with different statistics.  I'm not even describing the clones, but all of the characters regular attacks could be argued that they're all exactly the same.  Each character has a different speed, different range of attack, etc, but all of their attacks are going to be the same.  Whether it's the multi punch in front of them by hitting A repeatedly, their directional swings, their smash attacks whichever direction, attacking both sides if hitting a down Smash, every character is almost a duplicate outside of stats.... and, the four attacks each character gets.  Four unique attacks, up B, side B, B, and down B. 

Now only by playing the betas, no Playstation All Star character feels alike.  Not even remotely similar.  Obviously due to the simplified controls it doesn't take long how to figure out how to play asa each character, atleast on a basic level, but you have an entirely different experience playing as Sly than if you were to play as Parappa, etc.  Not only that, but while retaining the simplified gameplay, Playstation All Stars can be a combo heavy game.  Parappa has his side mic dash, linking to a mic grab, neutral punch, slide, shoulder, uppercut, then finish with a mic dash for a 115AP full combo with the added bonus of 25AP for hitting a 100AP combo.  Also puts the person who received the 100AP combo in an invincible state.

I'm a Smash Bros fan and didn't think that Playstation All Stars was going to be as good as it was.  Being a first party title it's quite obvious it wasn't going to be as bad as Dreammix TV, but I was thinking something along the lines of, really good, just not Smash Bros good.  I have to say I'm quite impressed and that it's better than Smash Bros.

Unless you've played the game, don't bash it, because looks can be very deceiving.

As for balancing issues,  everyone you see complaining about Radec/Kratos being overpowered are just noobs.  These characters have noticeable attack delays and/or recovery times with all of their attacks.  The only overpowered thing in the game is Sly's side triangle electric roll, which has an extremely quick recovery time, high AP gain, has priority over most attacks, and after both a connected hit or block, he's safe by anything but a quick mid range attack.

A Playstation All Stars Combo video by Superbot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_Eg-olsGUc

--

As for the Super Mario Bros me too comment?  LBP isn't as good as the early Mario games, but neither are Nintendo's current Mario games.  The LBP series mops the floor with any of the Mario platformers released this gen.  Who cares though.  If you want to play the best platformer this gen, look no further than Prinny.

As platformer games are my second favorite genre, it really saddens me that this gen doesn't have very many titles that are any good.  There are a few good indie games here and there, Super Meat Boy being the most overrated one in my opinion, but that's it.  A few good indie titles, a few good titles by large developers, but mostly nothing.

If you are a platformer fan and have yet to play Prinny and Prinny 2, then you're doing yourself a major disservice.  Whether it's fanboyism tying you to a single console, or the fact that NIS constantly puts out garbage video games(don't worry, only their RPGs are bad,) put all of that aside and get these games. These games are hard, but it's like playing the earlier Castlevania games, etc.  They were difficult, but the difficulty was never cheap or unfair(except for CV Adventure or Vampire Killer.)

Here's a speed run.  You're probably not going to be even close to this good.  I'm actually surprised how good the player is and I think I'm good at the game.  Although at the same time, this is just replays of his saved videos of each stage.  So after a few retries I could make a video that looks almost as good.  I have some Mega Man and Castlevania videos if anyone wants to  check them out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnp93PM95oA

First off.  Dante's Inferno is amazing.  God of War is garbage in comparison. Annnnnd thats when I stopped reading.