By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2012 Discussion Thread: FINISH YOUR LISTS

ganoncrotch said:
S.Peelman said:

#7 - GoldenEye 007 on the N64 was not the first shooter-game I've ever played, but it is the best. The first Call of Duty ended up very high on the list, but no FPS game beats GoldenEye. Before this, there were the likes of Doom, Wolfenstein 3D and Quake which got mediocre ports to home consoles and all of them were awkward to play. GoldenEye fixed this however, and paved the way for the genre to grow extremely popular outside of PC. I had a great time with the stellar single-player mode of this game, but the multiplayer is where the innovation was. Split-screen already existed, but to play with friends fluently in a four-way split-screen was something new. That and the streamlined controls due to the N64's analogue stick made for intense matches. This game taught me that there is no harm in mindless fun!

#6 - ?

The first time a game in this series went with full 3D models was on a failed console add-on, but the second game that did this (this game), gave the game a look that still looks absolutely stunning and super realistic to this day. Though, it get's a little jagged if you zoom in too far...

thinking could you mean virtua fighter that the first game was on the megacd but... the second one of these also was on the saturn and that doesn't hold up well :S

Nope .

Though I've played Virtua Fighter at a friend's a million years ago, that's not it.

The console add-on and the platform where the main line of these games always end up, have nothing to do with each other.

Around the Network
Kresnik said:
Player2 said:
Kresnik said:
Clue for my #05 - Origin story for one half of a Playstation mascot duo, and widely regarded as the best entry in the series.

Jak and Daxter.

Noes, the other one :P and Kantor would know the exact game, there's another hint!

Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time!!!?

Onto the Top 5:

5. Mass Effect 2 (PC, also on 360 & PS3)

Another sequel where the original doesn't make the list but the sequel is ridiculously high up! Mass Effect 1 was good, but was plagued with poor shooting mechanics, a clunky RPG interface and some rather horrible bugs. ME2 fixed all that and then refined the experience to become more of a shooter/RPG hybrid than an RPG with tacked on shooter controls. Guess what? It worked brilliantly. 

Rather than focus on weapon customisation and RPG-levelling, the RPG focus was shifted more towards character development and story-telling that helped to bring the player into the Mass Effect universe. The shooting elements were also changed so reloading and ammo conservation now became important. Gone were the numerous bugs that plagued the original. All these aspect, when combined together produced one of the best RPG/shooter hybrids on the market.

The characters were some of the most intriguing seen in a video game. Mordin was brilliant and hilarious, Thane was deep and philosophical with Miranda loyal and ideological (it also helped that Yvonne Strahovski from Chuck was in the game ). However, summing up these characters in a couple of words doesn't really do them justice. The vast majority of missions were based on the characters as you built your team and new layers were added as you did each mission. Discovering motivations and each characters personal story, as well as managing interactions between crew members were all part of what makes this game so amazing. The main story itself was actually relatively simplistic, but the smaller character stories were what made the game. Mass Effect 3 improved on the mechanics from this game, but I placed it lower because the hub areas, the missions and the characters in ME2 have an extra lavel of polish, thought and refinement that seems to be absent from 3. 

Add into the mix that all the decisions you made in ME1 are carried over to ME2 and you get a truly great RPG experience.

green_sky said:

Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time!!!?

Ding ding ding.

Well thanks to 36 of you that went and completed their lists ahead of time, I've gotten a pretty good head start thus far. ^_^

36 Lists counted and tallied, 733 unique games so far. Keep it coming guys!

And yes... I need to catch up here myself!

Around the Network

6. Chrono Trigger (1995)

Moving up from 11th, time travel is a tough thing to get right, and Chrono Trigger includes time travel as well as any game I've ever played.  The time travel is mostly story based but allows you to find extra items and explored the same world map in many ways.  Your party of characters feels more alive because of the myriad of backgrounds created throughout different eras.  Removing random encounters and allowing you to see your enemies on the world map also made the game more immersive.  The game is designed such that each era actually feels like its own game, even yough you know you are working toward a bigger goal.  The equipment in this game is better for the lead up and loreplaced behind it. Techs added a light spacial element to battle, and more importantly multiple characters can combine to use more powerful attacks.  The story and exploration in this game are fantastic and kept me eagerly awaiting what would happen within the next hour.  This game lacked the long grinds attributable to most RPGs and made the battles far more interesting.

Primarily an RPG player but have interest in any game that will make me think. 

#10: Metroid Prime (2002)
Last Year: 9

Metroid Prime was actually my first ever Metroid game. At that point in time I was quite familiar with Ninendo's other great heroes such as Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Kirby, and Pokemon... but Samus Aran was just some space bounty hunter in Super Smash Bros. for all I knew. I didn't know about her previous adventures such as Metroid and Super Metroid (Don't worry, I've played them since then!). So Metroid Prime was my first jump into the role of Samus Aran. As you can tell, I'm glad I made the jump... as Metroid Prime is one of the finest games I've ever played. Despite being in the first person, Prime always felt like an elite Action-Adventure game in the same vein as Ocarina of Time. In fact, the viewpoint helped enhance the game by immersing the player in the amazing world that you explored. The terrain was always a joy to traverse, the battles were always intense (as with Bioshock, I love it when games integrate horror elements. Some truly tense and even frightening moments in this game!), and the music is incredible. Metroid Prime is an unforgettable adventure... and an unforgettable game.

Hints for games #9-#6

#9:

Kew kew kew...

#8:

Trouble with the blustering wind? No need to trace the footsteps, just jump on his head instead!

In Japan, that old man was passed out drunk. In the rest of world, he just needed some coffee.

Want the coolest weapon in the game? Start with eye-drops.

Cheddarchet said:

As guessed by Player2, the number six slot on my list goes to...

6. Tales of Symphonia (GC)!

To this day, I'll always be glad I stumbled across the attractive boxart of this game in a random trip to Best Buy, or I may never have gotten into this wonderful series. And what an introduction it was! There was such a vast world to explore, and the story was captivating, as was tinkering around in all the sidequests the game had to offer. The characters of the game were wonderful, too, and there was no in the cast I didn't feel at least some sympathy for by the end of the trip. My only regret is that the first disc got scratched literally right after I beat it for the first time and restarted my newgame+... Too cruel, right?? Ahh, I'll get a new copy of it eventually.

Don't forget to submit your compete list in the Official Thread so I won't miss it. ^_^

Smeags said:
Hints for games #9-#6

#9:

Kew kew kew...

#8:

Trouble with the blustering wind? No need to trace the footsteps, just jump on his head instead!

In Japan, that old man was passed out drunk. In the rest of world, he just needed some coffee.

Want the coolest weapon in the game? Start with eye-drops.

9. Skyward Sword?

8. Super Mario 64

6. Ocarina of Time

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.