By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2012 Discussion Thread: FINISH YOUR LISTS

ganoncrotch said:
Player2 said:
S.Peelman said:

#7 - ?
This game defined a certain genre popular today, on home consoles.

Halo: Combat Evolved.

my guess on that'd be Goldeneye really.

Yeah, it's probably Goldeneye given the amount of games published on Nintendo systems in his list and it did that. Halo was the one who popularized the genre.

Around the Network
hatmoza said:
hatmoza said:
8-

Hint- Silent protagonist, Stubby King, Sailor with an Australian accent.

This could be Chrono Chross (Serge, Fargo) if King Guardia shows up...

Clues for Game 6:

Happy Windows/Mac
Rock Shelter Libertarian
Food-Crop Martial Arts.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

ganoncrotch said:
Player2 said:
Cheddarchet said:

#6 Hint: Famous RPG series makes its only outing on the GC.

If it isn't Final Fantasy CC, then Tales of Symphonia.

or phantasy star online ep1/2 .... or Paper mario the thousand year door :D there was a lotta rpg's with one outting on the GC but my vote would still be on FF:CC given their previous games!

Yeah, those fit as well. I went with Tales because there's always one Paper Mario per system and Phantasy Star popularity isn't what it was.

ganoncrotch said:

Hint for my number 4 - it's where I got my forum name :o

Ocarina of Time?

7. Puzzle Pirates (2003)

This is way up from 37 because I was willing to throw out the fact that it was non-standard entry.  The time I spent playing this game vastly outclocked every other other entry on this list, combined. The premise for this game is great, an MMO based on puzzles.  Not all of the puzzles are original (bejeweled clones included) but throwing a persistant rating system on top of them really adds to the experience and makes it less of a one game takes all deal.  This rating is based largely upon what the community was like in the past as it has gone downhill over the years as less unique content was added to the game.  One of the major bonuses to this game compared to most MMO games is that it largely rewards skill rather than playtime.  I wish more MMOs would take this approach but realize that it isn't in their interest financially.

Primarily an RPG player but have interest in any game that will make me think. 

Around the Network

7. Wario Land 2, GBC (1998) Nintendo

This was another game that dominated my first few years of gaming, from which it gains its spot on my list. I bought it actually because i wanted Super Mario Land 2, which by 2000 was no longer available in mainstream stores. Thus Wario Land 2 found its way into my hands at just the right time. It was really an inventive platformer, both in the fact that it focused much more on getting through the stages than about living (you couldn't die), and in that you had to use injuries inflicted on you by enemies to get through places, such as getting crushed to be flat enough to slip through small spaces or float through the air, or getting set on fire to burn your way through fire blocks, or getting zombified to smash through blocks you could not otherwise get through. You could even get drunk!

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Cheddarchet said:

And my game for today is...

#7. Guild Wars (PC)!

Seriously, such an amazing game back in the day. Actually, I think this game has my highest playtime out of any other I've ever played. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing, to be honest, but there was so much to do! I could never stop exploring the world whenever I played this game, and collecting all the skills to make different builds was a lot of fun, too. That said, don't know if I'll ever play number two. It looks really good, but I sunk A Lot of time into this, and there's a noticeable drop in my grades back in high school and middle school when I was playing this... -_-;

#6 Hint: Famous RPG series makes its only outing on the GC.

Baten Kaitos or Baten Kaitos Origins.

It's a shame most people haven't played these games. Really excellent and unique work.

P.S. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles saw sequels on the DS, and Tales of Symphonia is available on PS2 in Japan. Baten Kaitos is the only truely Gamecube exclusive RPG.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

6. Hint: Just the best turn based strategy game ever. One of the best games available on a handheld. This game is the sequel to the best selling game in the franchise, but it's much better then the game it's based off. However the next iteration has a good chance of being the first game in the series to break 1 million sales WW.

5. Hint: IMO this is the best handheld game that isn't a console port. To me, this is the spiritual successor to Super Mario RPG. Similar dungeon styles, similar puzzles, similar jokes, similar graphics, but no Mario. Amazing game.

Hint: Both the above games are available on the same platform, and what a platform it was.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Player2 said:
hatmoza said:
hatmoza said:
8-

Hint- Silent protagonist, Stubby King, Sailor with an Australian accent.

This could be Chrono Chross (Serge, Fargo) if King Guardia shows up...

no.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

Number 6: An epic game with three plots that tangled together in a massive epilogue showdown leading up to a fight with a Goddess. This game made no use of its console's primary feature.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.