By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2012 Discussion Thread: FINISH YOUR LISTS

14. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 (2008)

Down from 7th, this was a surprising and wonderful title considering how late in the console's life cycle it was released, this RPG mixed with a visual novel provided plenty of different gameplay.  The addition of RPG elements such as leveling, magic, and dungeon crawling turn the choose your own adventure characteristics of visual novels into more complete gameplay.  The game's periodic switching between the two genres leads to an interesting back and forth that staves off the boredom of the quickly repetitive rpg stages.  Mixing personas in the velvet room can consume as much or little time as you desire, doing so will make battles easier but isn't necessary.  Trying to figure out the right way to progress social links in the real world provides an extra challenge rarely seen in RPGs.  While trying to solve the mystery world, there is plenty of amusing, intriguing, and confusing story which actually means failure to find the murder is possible.  The battle systems weakness mechanics are good but the lack of variety in enemies means you pretty much end up using the same strategy for the majority of the game's battles. I really enjoyed being given the feeling that there was a concrete way to determine the good ending of the game, rather than some sequence of arbitrary flags you may or may not have encountered.

Primarily an RPG player but have interest in any game that will make me think. 

Around the Network

Clue for 13: Main character's name is similar-ish to my username. Long (30 level or so) campaign split into three sections.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Michael-5 said:

Michael-5 said:

46. A precursor to Modern CoD's (Not the WW2 ones), one of the best online shooting franchises. This game was ported to consoles (Specifically ones whose libraries mimic those on PC) after a fair bit of time on PC. I think this game was originally created as a MOD of a different game. It's difficult to buy this game idividually, without the source game. I specifically like the updated version better, probably because I was too busy playing Warcraft 3 when the original came out.
Incorrect Guesses: Day of Deateat, Medal of Honor, Unreal Tournament, Quake, Wolfenstien 3D
Correct Answer: Counter Strike: Source

43. Often regarded as one of the best games of all time, the main character is an iconic trademark which almost saw exclusivity on an opposing platform. The other platform is not a gaming platform.
Incorrect Guesses: Final Fantasy VII
Correct Answer: Halo: Combat Evolved

39. Of a team of 6, nobody makes it out alive. Prequel to #43.
Incorrect Guesses: F-Zero, Famicom Grand Prix
Correct Answer: Halo: Reach

28. The franchise is named after the system it debuted on, which was a different system in Japan then the rest of the world. This is the first game not on either of those platforms, but the franchise name hasn't changed outside of Japan, and in Japan, it's now named after an even older system.
Correct Answer: Advance Wars: Dual Strike

38. This game almost wasn't localized outside of Japan because Nintendo thought no one would be interested. Good thing NoA changed their mind. Fairly old game. A Spinoff franchise featuring Mario. This game was so popular that it actually got Nintendo to localize more traditionally Japan only franchises.
Incorrect Guesses: XenoBlade Chronicles, The Last Story, Earthbound, Super Mario RPG, Mario & Luigi

34. First platform game in the franchise after an 8 year gap. Made a story where the previous game concluded the series. Since the keytone Species was erradicated, and new species emerges.
Incorrect Guesses: Rayman Origins

33. Most people see me debate why this game is inferior to one higher on my list. Many think I dislike this game.

31. Since this game concluded the trilogy, the next interation, which was made by a new developer saw substantially less hype, and potentially killed the franchise.
Incorrect Guesses: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

30. EA-FU. Because of EA this game wasn't as good as it could have been. Not a property of EA (EA screwed up someone elses game).
Incorrect Guesses: Mass Effect 3, NFL Games

27. This game looks and plays like Miami Vice (The Movie)

26. The creator of this game is well known for misplaced or ending quests, it's his newest game.

25. This game is known for wrecking N64 controllers. It destroyed 1 of my N64 controllers, and since then I have never broken a Nintendo product.

24. It's a Mad World

23. This franchise was introduced to North America in this title, and it was because of the success of another Nintendo product. Did so well, it's developed a strong fanbase.

22. Ads for this game featured a shorted peom by Alan Seeger.

---

Everytime someone guesses one of my games wrong, I will expand the clues. 46 seems to be troublesome, but I don't see why.

25. Mario Party

24. Gears of War

23. Fire Emblem

22. Gears of War 2

Primarily an RPG player but have interest in any game that will make me think. 

Kantor said:

Clue for 13: Main character's name is similar-ish to my username. Long (30 level or so) campaign split into three sections.

Legacy of Kain?

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

shogia said:
Michael-5 said:

Michael-5 said:

25. This game is known for wrecking N64 controllers. It destroyed 1 of my N64 controllers, and since then I have never broken a Nintendo product.

24. It's a Mad World

23. This franchise was introduced to North America in this title, and it was because of the success of another Nintendo product. Did so well, it's developed a strong fanbase.

---

Everytime someone guesses one of my games wrong, I will expand the clues. 46 seems to be troublesome, but I don't see why.

25. Mario Party

24. Gears of War

23. Fire Emblem

22. Gears of War 2

All correct! Fire Emblem made my list pretty high too, GBA just had so many quality games.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

Around the Network

Correct Answer: Mario Party

24. It's a Mad World
Correct Answer: Gears of War

Correct Answer: Fire Emblem

Correct Answer: Gears of War 2

38. This game almost wasn't localized outside of Japan because Nintendo thought no one would be interested. Good thing NoA changed their mind. Fairly old game. A Spinoff franchise featuring Mario. This game was so popular that it actually got Nintendo to localize more traditionally Japan only franchises. It's a game I'm confident everyone who reads this has played.
Incorrect Guesses: XenoBlade Chronicles, The Last Story, Earthbound, Super Mario RPG, Mario & Luigi

34. First platform game in the franchise after an 8 year gap. Made a story where the previous game concluded the series. Since the last of the Keytone Species was in captivity then erradicated in the prior game, a new species emerged as the villian.

33. Most people often see me debate why this game is inferior to one higher on my list. Many think I dislike this game. It's a platform specific game which has a rival on another platform.

31. Since this game concluded the trilogy, the next interation, which was made by a new developer saw substantially less hype, and potentially killed the franchise. The next game in the series is unreleased

30. EA-FU. Because of EA this game wasn't as good as it could have been. Not a property of EA (EA screwed up someone elses game).

27. This game looks and plays like Miami Vice (The Movie). A Sandbox game.

26. The creator of this game is well known for misplaced or ending quests, it's his newest game, was not published by the same people in all regions.

21. Revived the survival Horror franchise, but sequels to this game have failed to achieve such critical aclaim, and review scores.

20. This game is part of a Japanese series, but developed by a Western studio. Many questioned if this game would ruin the franchise, but it ended up being the best rated and best selling game in the franchise.

19. Introduced NeoTanks.

18. Introduced flying Monkeys, made by a studio which changed ownership, as a result many of the developers moved to Crytek, and are responsible for Crysis.

---

I gave additional hints to all the older games. I'm starting to catch up

Michael-5 said:

24. It's a Mad World

38. This game almost wasn't localized outside of Japan because Nintendo thought no one would be interested. Good thing NoA changed their mind. Fairly old game. A Spinoff franchise featuring Mario. This game was so popular that it actually got Nintendo to localize more traditionally Japan only franchises. It's a game I'm confident everyone who reads this has played.

34. First platform game in the franchise after an 8 year gap. Made a story where the previous game concluded the series. Since the last of the Keytone Species was in captivity then erradicated in the prior game, a new species emerged as the villian.

33. Most people often see me debate why this game is inferior to one higher on my list. Many think I dislike this game. It's a platform specific game which has a rival on another platform.

31. Since this game concluded the trilogy, the next interation, which was made by a new developer saw substantially less hype, and potentially killed the franchise. The next game in the series is unreleased

26. The creator of this game is well known for misplaced or ending quests, it's his newest game, was not published by the same people in all regions.

21. Revived the survival Horror franchise, but sequels to this game have failed to achieve such critical aclaim, and review scores.

20. This game is part of a Japanese series, but developed by a Western studio. Many questioned if this game would ruin the franchise, but it ended up being the best rated and best selling game in the franchise.

19. Introduced NeoTanks.

18. Introduced flying Monkeys, made by a studio which changed ownership, as a result many of the developers moved to Crytek, and are responsible for Crysis.

---

38 - Mario... Golf? (never played it, but...)

34 - I'll go with Metroid: Other M... even if the time gap is six years.

31 - StarFox Adventures?

30 - Tons of games here... Dragon Age 2?

27 - GTA Vice City?

21 - Resident Evil 4.

20 - Metroid Prime.

Yes, Winter Gold was the last Super FX game.

As for Front Mission 3, I went with that one because it does have two campaigns with different party members (you get characters from one side or the other) and endings, depending on an apparently innocent choice at the beginning of the game. Good game overall.

axumblade said:
14. Borderlands 2 (PC)

In Borderlands 2, Claptrap often refers to you as Minion. :P A vast improvement on one of my favorite shooters. I feel that Gearbox did a great job at listening to what people wanted in Borderlands 2.

13. Rumors are going around, this game is getting a spinoff as a first person shooter. This game I've played on 4 different "systems."

Syndicate?

axumblade said:
14. Borderlands 2 (PC)

In Borderlands 2, Claptrap often refers to you as Minion. :P A vast improvement on one of my favorite shooters. I feel that Gearbox did a great job at listening to what people wanted in Borderlands 2.

13. Rumors are going around, this game is getting a spinoff as a first person shooter. This game I've played on 4 different "systems."

There's a zombie on your lawn. There's a zombie on your lawn. There's a zombie on your la-awn! We don't want zombies on the lawn.

Michael-5 said:

24. It's a Mad World

19. Introduced NeoTanks.

---

38. Super Smash Bros.

34. Metroid Fusion

33. Some sort of Forza or Gran Turismo?

27. Scarface: The World is Yours

21. Resident Evil 4

20. Metroid Prime

18. One of the Timesplitters?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.