By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2012 Discussion Thread: FINISH YOUR LISTS

milkyjoe said:
Kresnik said:

Clue for my #22 - Play good or play evil.  Bloody blast shards EVERYWHERE.

inFamous.

Correct.  I still haven't found them all yet...

Around the Network
Smeags said:

#23: Disney's Epic Mickey (2010)
Last Year: 27

I'm sure many of you have a game or two on your list that feels like developers were creating a video game just for you. Well, in my case, that game is Disney's Epic Mickey. I was fortunate enough to live close to Disneyland when I was growing up, so I would visit the Magic Kingdom as often as I could. It was a truly magical place, and it contains some of my favorite memories as a child. Epic Mickey somehow scooped all of those wonderful memories out of my brain and made a game about them, and I couldn't be happier playing it. The game is, gameplay wise, a homage to the action-platformers prevalent in the 5th generations, even complete with the wonky camera. But even despite its faults (as EM has the lowest Meta-Ranking out of my top 50), this game was a joy to play. It was all smiles, all the time.

I really have to finish this game but I still blame it for killing my original Wii (and all my saves!).

Signature goes here!

#23. Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii)

With this game Retro Studios have done the impossible: capture the essence of what made the DKC games so fun and manage to create a game that surpassed even the original. World after world this platformer comes up with new ideas making it fresh from start to finish. This time around instead of collecting bonus levels you get to search for puzzle pieces and KONG letters.

While I try to get as many puzzles pieces as I can, I really focused on getting the KONG letters because they unlock the incredible K levels in each world. These levels really test your platforming skills (and sometimes your patience ) but managing to finish them all is one of the most rewarding gaming experience there is.

Signature goes here!

#22 Hint: Two main characters, one with the worst first day on the job ever and the other is one dedicated sister.

Signature goes here!

27. Journey (PS3)

Journey boasts absolutely gorgeous visuals and a Grammy-nominated score, but those are probably the least impressive things about it. What's really amazing about it is the emotions it evokes, and while those things certainly contribute, it's really down to the game design itself. When you first start out, a small figure swaddled from head to toe in a brown robe and wandering a vast, ruined world all alone, the feeling of solitude and isolation is almost crushing. And then, eventually... you see another wanderer. Thankfully, there is no PSN ID hovering over their head to tell you that this is T0KerSm0Ker420. Nor can you hear them shouting obscenities at you over the headset. For the brief time that you are together, they are not some dumbshit who accidentally stepped away from Call of Duty for a second to try out the latest PSN title. They are a person, and you need them desperately. Stripped of any ability to communicate with one another, save making some humming sounds that merely act as a beacon for other players, you are amazed to find yourselves instantly cooperating to propel each other to previously unreachable spots as if were the most natural thing in the world. That is Journey: a brilliant rumination on human frailty and how we are better off together than we are apart. Also, a reason to curbstomp Roger Ebert's chinless freak face the next time he pontificates on how a video game can't be art because he's a million years old.

Around the Network
Kantor said:

24) Mass Effect (PC / 2007 / RPG)

Mass Effect is my favourite new IP of this generation. I love the setting, the characters, the fusion of shooter and RPG gameplay, the music, and pretty much everything else about it. Although ME1 is actually my least favourite ME game, it has the best villains in the form of Saren Arterius and Sovereign, and although there aren't many squadmates, they are all fleshed out and excellent characters (perhaps with the exception of Ashley, who nobody likes). I didn't like the tendency of the inventory to get clogged with junk that you would have to convert into omni-gel, but I liked the fact that an inventory at least existed unlike in the later games in the series.

Take that back! She was the love of my first trilogy playthrough!

My #23, as guessed by TruckOSaurus, is Final Fantasy VII.

Originally slated for release on the SNES, Final Fantasy VII was pushed back for release on N64. But when the storage space on the N64 cartridge was deemed insufficient, developer Square decided to release the game on Sony's Playstation. Thus began a decade of Sony exclusivity for Final Fantasy, and a decade of decline for Nintendo -- although the two are only tangentially related. So Final Fantasy VII had a big impact on the industry, but it had an ever larger impact on public perception of RPGs. It wouldn't be an exaggeration to claim that FFVII was the first mainstream RPG -- it has sold 10 million copies, the most of any Final Fantasy game -- and was one of the first games to place a huge emphasis on story and production values. In fact, the game cost $45 million, the most expensive game of its time, and required a team of roughly 120 artists and programmers. It's not the best Final Fantasy game, but it's certainly the most influential.

27th -

Luigis Mansion is an excellent game, which I wished that I played sooner. I found little problems with this game and it prooved to be a very enjoyable game. The only problem I really had was the Boos, when they went through the walls all the time and the controls. However the controls were only bad for me because I played Banjo Kazooie before this game,  for that I had to take some time with the controller.

I thought that the core of the game was well done and I hope Luigis Mansion 2 improves on this (except that LMansion 2 has a tad bit worse controls than this game).

26th - 

It's Mario Party and my favorite one, not much to say, besides that I had a blast playing this with my family. I loved the mini-games and the boards, as they were well constructed. I also liked the different game modes of this game, as those modes saw a lot of replayability from me and sometimes me and my brother.

Mario Part 5 was my first one and is one of three that I have played.

Check out my Upcoming Wii U Games 2014 Thread

3DS Friend Code: 4553 - 9954 - 4854. Name - David

25th -

When I first heard of this game, I became instantly hyped. That you could play as a Pokémon made me really excited. But I never thought that this game would catch me as it did. Soundtrack was superb and the story, oh boy. The story was really something, as I never would have expected it to turn the way it turned. This game also offers a load of content, I do not even want to know how many hours I clocked on this game. 

However this game also had its faults. Like for example when you die, you loose a lot of items, which prooved to be a problem, as I probably restarted some dungeons quite some times. Another one of  my complaints is the dungeons with 99 floors. The problem I had with them was that you could not quit/close the game, whenever you wanted. That is all I have to say about this game.

Check out my Upcoming Wii U Games 2014 Thread

3DS Friend Code: 4553 - 9954 - 4854. Name - David

23. Goldeneye 007, N64 (1997) Nintendo/Rare (21 last year)

As guessed by nobody (I guess it wasn't too easy, Alec). Goldeneye 007 is the only non-Metroid-Prime first-person shooter on my list. Although it's primitive compared to those games that came after, it helped set the standard for console shooters with varied missions and multiplayer that made it endlessly replayable. Its simple soundtrack is also quite memorable.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.