By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2012 Discussion Thread: FINISH YOUR LISTS

#36 - Banjo-Kazooie was a great platformer when it came out. On the quality of Nintendo's own platform games in fact, which made me believe it was a Nintendo game at first. Banjo's appearance in Diddy Kong Racing didn't help me either. Banjo is a a more 'mature' version of Mario, for the lack of a better word, but still contains a lot of shenanigans. The game could get pretty difficult too, especially if you wanted to complete it 100%. Due to the combination of Banjo with his pal Kazooie, RARE could create loads of interesting platforming mechanics, that would still be relevant today.

#35 - ?
The number 35 game is a very old one and came bundled with a popular system, (at least) in the PAL regions. It also contains some of this system's most iconic sound 'effects'.

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:
F0X said:
Kresnik said:
F0X said:
Since I have absolutely no patience whatsoever, I'll give a second hint.

Hint #1: "My #47 is a beloved follow-up to one of the most influential simulation games of all time, and featured all sorts of deadly natural disasters."

Hint #2: This game taught me the importance of taxes.

SimCity... 2000?  3000?  Unsure.  One of them.

SimCity 2000 it is. People praise it for its depth and addicting city-building nature. I remember it for making me feel like God.

Everytime I see someone speak about SimCity 2000 I immediately think about the ingame-music and the phrase;

"SimCopter reporting heavy traffic..."

As that was a line I heard way too often!

Oh goodness... I remember the music too. Even though it's been about a decade since I actualy played it last.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Kresnik said:

Just Cause 2?

#36 Red Dead Redmption, I didn't like this as much as a lot of people but it's still an amzing game and it has my all time favorite achievement "Dastardly"(put a woman on the train tracks and watch her get run over)

S.Peelman said:

#36 - Banjo-Kazooie was a great platformer when it came out. On the quality of Nintendo's own platform games in fact, which made me believe it was a Nintendo game at first. Banjo's appearance in Diddy Kong Racing didn't help me either. Banjo is a a more 'mature' version of Mario, for the lack of a better word, but still contains a lot of shenanigans. The game could get pretty difficult too, especially if you wanted to complete it 100%. Due to the combination of Banjo with his pal Kazooie, RARE could create loads of interesting platforming mechanics, that would still be relevant today.

#35 - ?
The number 35 game is a very old one, and came bundled with a popular system (at least) in the PAL regions. It also contains some of this system's most iconic sound 'effects'.

My best guess is that it's a Sega Master System game (it was pretty much only popular in Europe) and I don't know too much about it... so I'm guessing Alex Kidd in Miracle World. If so, you are now the only person I know who has played that game.

WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Hint for #35- This game was one of the first to use xbox live. It got a sequel but much to my disappointment it hasn't gotten a third installment.

Around the Network

Well, this will be my second-to-last addition for the night. One more hint/game then before I retire.

The List;
#50 - Spyro the Dragon (PS1)
#49 - Crackdown (360)
#48 - WarioWare: Twisted (GBA)
#47 - SimCity 2000

My #46 game is a direct sequel to a game that shares its title with an unrelated Atari 2600 shooter (outside of PAL regions, I think).

F0X said:
S.Peelman said:

#35 - ?
The number 35 game is a very old one and came bundled with a popular system, (at least) in the PAL regions. It also contains some of this system's most iconic sound 'effects'.

My best guess is that it's a Sega Master System game (it was pretty much only popular in Europe) and I don't know too much about it... so I'm guessing Alex Kidd in Miracle World. If so, you are now the only person I know who has played that game.

Nope, it's no Master System game.

I'll move a comma in my hint, as I meant the word "popular" to be tied only with the word "system" and the "in the PAL regions" with "[the game] came bundled". Sorry about that, my bad. Otherwise, good guess, but I'm afraid you still don't know anyone who's played that game .

EDIT: It's funny though, as this also happened with the clue for my #47 game. It seems my clues for games on the system I seek here lead to the Master System instead !

F0X said:
Well, this will be my second-to-last addition for the night. One more hint/game then before I retire.

The List;
#49 - Crackdown (360)
#47 - SimCity 2000

My #46 game is a direct sequel to a game that shares its title with an unrelated Atari 2600 shooter (outside of PAL regions, I think).

Star Fox 64.

The first two Star Foxes were named Starwing and Lylat Wars respectively in Europe because of the 'Star Fox' game on 2600.

S.Peelman said:
F0X said:

The List;
#49 - Crackdown (360)
#47 - SimCity 2000

Star Fox 64.

The first two Star Foxes were named Starwing and Lylat Wars respectively in Europe because of the 'Star Fox' game on 2600.

Yep. An excellent game about talking animals. In space. I adore the game as it (probably unintentionally) plays out as an action movie parody, replete with cheesy one-liners, massive explosions, and amatuerish flying stunts. All pretense of realism was dropped for the sake of purely fun shooter bliss.

#36. New Play Control! Donkey Kong Jungle Beat (Wii)

This game was so much fun to play. I wish there was more like it. Totally not your average platformer, or your average Donkey Kong game. I later learned the same people who made this also made Super Mario Galaxy. Great people working over there.