By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - The People have spoken - Marriage Equality wins in Maine, Maryland and Washington!

What is your opinion on Marriage Rights?

I support Full Equal Marr... 105 62.50%

I support Domestic Partne... 15 8.93%

I support only one Man an... 18 10.71%

I support one Man and many Women. 6 3.57%

I support one Woman and many Men. 4 2.38%

Domestic Partnerships for all Only. 6 3.57%

I think nobody should get married. 11 6.55%

Other (in post.) 3 1.79%

Total:168
ninetailschris said:
Dodece said:
I understand some Conservatives think that maybe Civil Unions are some kind of equitable compromise. They aren't a compromise at all. They are code for a draconian practice referred to as Segregation. Which has been defined on many occasions as meaning separate but equal. Segregation makes a victim of everyone. Separation was a injustice then, it is a injustice now, and will always be a injustice. How many times do you have to shove your hand into the flame before you realize it burns. The answer is never going to separate but equal. The only right answer is equal and together.

Beastiality,Polygamy, Marriaging 13-15 year olds when your over 18. I wonder do you consider this segregation against these groups?

Beastiality is already legal in 22 countries do you believe it's right for us to not segregate this people and let them have the right to have sex with whatever you want?

What about Polygamy  many countries in the world approve of this and live perfectly normal lives which HURT nobody. Are you fighting for them are do you agree that this country discriminate against them? Polygamy has happen for years and has done nothing really in history to deserve this.

Now the last one the marriage of a 13-15 year old marriage with a man. Do you not agree this is a very clear discrimination of age. In many countries it's perfectly legal to marry a 13 year old because it's  in some socities the age of one becomes an adult. Also back in the old days in the western times it isn't uncommon for a 14 year old to marry an older man.  There are also ways of getting married to under-age people showing that it isn't even consider 100 percent wrong by government standards but more of a social problem with people discriminating based on personal disguest

Also what about the argument against them saying that 13 year old is mentally able to make choice like that YET we allow mental men/woman get married who don't even have the thinking ability of a 13 year old or even a 10 year old. There have been many cases of 13-15 year olds marrying and staying together for a long time with no physical abuse or crimes done. 

I want to see what you view on these issues to see if you REALLY believe in stoping segregation or are you just a follower of trends. For example, history has shown people will say there all for justice but there really just fighting for something that makes them feel comfitable with society and not actual fight for something good. I'm intrested to see if you act like history and go with trends or do you actual believe in segregation you so much believe in. I'm honestly curious because I see a lot of people on here throw the word discriminate and segregation like they live lifes that don't opress people based soley on a personal bias. 

Give me your thoughts.

Uhg, I get so irritated when people bring up Beastiality, Pedophilia, etc nonsense to a civil debate about gay rights. There are key differences between a same sex relationship, and one of the ones you described. The most important thing to remember is that the laws are protecting our civil liberties, right to happiness, and in general making sure everyone is treated fairly. Consent is a key factor in these things. Beastiality, an animal cannot consent to doing anything with a human. If animals could somehow speak with human tongue and understand fully what is going on around them like we can.....sure why not......but they can't. Pedophilia is the same thing, a underage(subjective) child's mind has not fully developed yet. Children are more prone to persuasion and influence due to unformed parts of the brain. This hinders their ability to think things through fully, and also consent to something as big as marraige. Now different places have different standards on how old a person has to be before that part of the brain can be trusted to make that important of a discision. Similar to why we don't give toddlers alcohol.  US basically deems you are smart enough to make that choice at 17.5yo. If you are emancipated, which they do a psyche eval on you, I believe you can do what you want then as well. I don't truly believe telling someone they can't get married at 12 is discrimination either. Age, is constantly progressing forward. Its not barring them from ever doing it, eventually they will be "of age". If you are so called going to spend the rest of your life together, what is another couple of years anyway? Plus any of the benefits that would befall a married couple under the Gov't would be useless to children so it really wouldn't matter.

Polygamy, the honest truth about it is there is nothing inherently wrong with it. The reality of it is it makes some people insecure and uncomfortable. That feeling of constantly having to compare to another person is the main reason people want to settle down with a "one and only". Humans don't like that feeling, so the selfish ideal that a person should only have them and no one else comes to play. I guess it just depends on the person. Maybe it should become legal.

And Now for the Equal Marraige Argument as a Whole-

Firstly, the only thing standing in it's way is the Religious Conservatives who are trying to claim they have rights over how marraige is defined due to it's history with the religion and the Bible's stance on Homosexuality.

I would like them to realize that there is a seperation of church and state for a reason. Marraige under Church is entirely different than what it means to the government. As far as Gov't is concerned, the unions between two ppl means that they have a better chance of becoming productive members of society, boosting the economy and keeping the cycle going. THATS ALL!!! There are 100s of religions with slightly varying views about what is required to constitute a marraige, but that is seperate from being legally married. A Pastor can deny someone from getting married in their church(which is their right, I don't fault that) but to be able to hinder someone from marrying at all? Ridonkulous. If a Muslim couple were to walk into a COGIC Church and asked to be married they would be turned away for not being apart of the congregation, but they could still go to the court house and get it done.

Also, the gov't recognizes a Same-Sex couple is equal to a Hetero-Coupling, so if that is true it makes no sense to impede one from doing what the other can do. I am starting to believe if Gay's just called themselves a Religion maybe this could be solved, because seemingly the rules are made by religious orders of what is possible. :/

Lastly, Christianity, or any othe religion did not create marriage. Marraige has been around in varrying cultures since forever. Early Egypt actually had a Trans-Pharoh Queen who had several wives. Early marraige practices were also built as a business transaction, and less about personal feelings. That is where the dowry, white dress, etc all come from. Thats how the Gov't sees it, a business transaction. I wish they would just admit that there is nothing that defines these sorts of terms other than the culture we live in. And all that is happening right now is one group of people are holding on to the rights of another group trying to tell them they can't have it because they don't like them.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Around the Network
SamuelRSmith said:
They had marriage equality before. Gay men were just as equally allowed to marry women as straight men, and straight men were just as equally banned from marrying men. Same with gay/straight women.

I would have thought you better than arguments such as this.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Player1x3 said:
Roma said:
Player1x3 said:
Roma said:
Player1x3 said:
Roma said:

I'm neutral on the subject of same sex marriage

Aren't you gay yourself ?

hahaha I'm surprised how well known that is

if I want to get married I will do it no matter what the rules are so that's why I'm neutral to what the people think

so you do support same sex marriage ?

yes..

So why did you say you were neutral on the subject ?

yes

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

We legalized it in California except that Utah was able to get overturned somehow, actually I know how, they through millions of dollars at it.

killerzX said:

so killing and eating, and controling in every capacity = OK. having sex with = no no no. thats wrong.

got it. consistancy in arguments have never been a strong suit in the pro-marriage (and largely anti- "mariage equality" crowd.

While animals are eaten for food and controlled as pets animal cruelty with the sole purpose of human enjoyment is still not allowed.  It's why dog fighting is illegal even if you can put the dog to sleep, because forcing them to fight and die for your amusement is inhumane.  Having sex with an animal is similarly inhumane and is therefore different.

The rest is all about consent.  Consenting adults should be allowed to marry in any combination they like.  Marrying a minor or an animal forces an innocent into a situation they cannot consent to by definition.  Yes the choice of 18 is somewhat arbitrary, and if reasonable research comes out suggesting that children are mature before that the issue can be revisited, but you still need to choose an age as a society when you think children become adults and that's what we've chosen as of yet.   

Basically there's no reason that someone fighting for marriage equality has to support all the things you mentioned because they are fighting for marriage equality between consenting adults.  The fact that some wants to marry a non-consenting party doesn't affect that in the same way that gay marriage proponents don't have to fight for forced marriages to fight for full marriage equality, because equality swings both ways.  That animal has a right not to get fucked by you or mistreated for your amusement in any other way, but you should have the right to marry any consenting party you so desire.  

Around the Network

I'd wager a guess that all of those so-called progressives out there only support marriage equality for monogamous homosexuals. If you were to take a poll of how many of those same progressives support the rights of others to practice plural marriage, then the support for marriage equality would drop off a cliff. My point being... people are trumpeting marriage equality, but that only seems to include their narrow definition of it. Seems a little hypocritical...

Torillian said:
killerzX said:

so killing and eating, and controling in every capacity = OK. having sex with = no no no. thats wrong.

got it. consistancy in arguments have never been a strong suit in the pro-marriage (and largely anti- "mariage equality" crowd.

While animals are eaten for food and controlled as pets animal cruelty with the sole purpose of human enjoyment is still not allowed.  It's why dog fighting is illegal even if you can put the dog to sleep, because forcing them to fight and die for your amusement is inhumane.  Having sex with an animal is similarly inhumane and is therefore different.

The rest is all about consent.  Consenting adults should be allowed to marry in any combination they like.  Marrying a minor or an animal forces an innocent into a situation they cannot consent to by definition.  Yes the choice of 18 is somewhat arbitrary, and if reasonable research comes out suggesting that children are mature before that the issue can be revisited, but you still need to choose an age as a society when you think children become adults and that's what we've chosen as of yet.   

Basically there's no reason that someone fighting for marriage equality has to support all the things you mentioned because they are fighting for marriage equality between consenting adults.  The fact that some wants to marry a non-consenting party doesn't affect that in the same way that gay marriage proponents don't have to fight for forced marriages to fight for full marriage equality, because equality swings both ways.  That animal has a right not to get fucked by you or mistreated for your amusement in any other way, but you should have the right to marry any consenting party you so desire.  

thank you for trying to debate the beasyilaty point. i respect that. and as i said beastiality was the least of my argument. i respect your opinion on the matter. 

i dont know if you support polygammy and or incest marriage, but i just wish for proponents of consenting homosexual couple marriage would be consistant and support other forms of consenting adult marriage.

and like i have said i wish for the government to get out of the marriage business

killerzX said:
Torillian said:
killerzX said:

thank you for trying to debate the beasyilaty point. i respect that. and as i said beastiality was the least of my argument. i respect your opinion on the matter. 

i dont know if you support polygammy and or incest marriage, but i just wish for proponents of consenting homosexual couple marriage would be consistant and support other forms of consenting adult marriage.

and like i have said i wish for the government to get out of the marriage business

I think Polygammy to any extent should be allowed if people want it.  I see no reason not to since I don't think the government should be viewing marriage as two people loving each other, but just people who agree to share their lives for a long time.  

Incest is more questionable only because it has obvious biological consequences for any child born out of such a relationship, but if you allow two jews who carry Tay-Sachs to marry knowing the risks then I think incest should be treated the same way.  Just test the two and let them know the chances of disease for their child as best you can and let them make the decision.    

Lastly I'd have to agree, it'd be best if marriage wasn't something the government was into at all, but something people define on their own terms, but I don't see that happening any time soon, and I think there probably are benefits to the government promoting marriage even if procreation isn't the goal.  

" I support Domestic Partnerships, but not Marriage Rights for same sex couples. "

My vote, but the whole system needs an overhaul as marriage means far too much in terms of what you can and can not do in areas that have nothing to do with it.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I don't care how people decide to group into a family unit and treat each other and live like a family. I think any civil rights offered to one preference of family unit should extend to all on governmental/legal level. I think various societal cultures and religions are and should remain 100% free to define what they consider to be a family unit per their traditions and values and they should have 0% rights to impose those views on anybody else in disagreement.

A family unit is not necessary to survive through life but it is certainly beneficial in almost everyway for both the individuals involved and the society within which people live like family. I find it odd that people waste time trying to limit definition of family.

The only requirement of family should be that it is a healthy happy union of individuals. I mean it should not be some kind of abusive setup infringing on the human rights of individuals within the family. Aside from that rest of society doesn't need to be involved in how a family is structured or operates as long as it is healthy for all individuals involved.

The main reason anybody opposes broadening definition of family is because it does extends into community which extends into society and into culture and then it becomes a non-issue to vast majority of people. It's a great thing and should not be denied to anybody. Overtime society and cultures always change while Religions can either adjust, become better at tolerance, become radical and oppressive, split off into more compatible congregations, or go extinct.