By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - The People have spoken - Marriage Equality wins in Maine, Maryland and Washington!

What is your opinion on Marriage Rights?

I support Full Equal Marr... 105 62.50%

I support Domestic Partne... 15 8.93%

I support only one Man an... 18 10.71%

I support one Man and many Women. 6 3.57%

I support one Woman and many Men. 4 2.38%

Domestic Partnerships for all Only. 6 3.57%

I think nobody should get married. 11 6.55%

Other (in post.) 3 1.79%

Total:168

It's a good day

But yeah, I agree with that cool guy above "Those that get married should not deserve any benefits above those who choose to stay single.".

Around the Network

I was proud to vote for marriage equality in Maine yesterday.

Player1x3 said:
Roma said:
Player1x3 said:
Roma said:

I'm neutral on the subject of same sex marriage

Aren't you gay yourself ?

hahaha I'm surprised how well known that is

if I want to get married I will do it no matter what the rules are so that's why I'm neutral to what the people think

so you do support same sex marriage ?

yes..

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Great!
All of our states should accept this. It's a very nice thing for people who truly do love each other, no matter, to be able to marry.

I'm against same sex marriage. I don't think they should be allowed to get married. However, I think some of the things they gain by getting married (visiting their partner in the hospital and having their property confinscated when their partner dies since there is no next of kin) is absolutly wrong and should be changed... even for the states that don't allow gay marriage.

Why am I against same sex marriage? Because I don't think there should be benefits for those who decide to marry over those who don't.... So basically I'm against taditional marriage too... However, I am married...

Why am I married if I'm against marriage? Because why should I lose out on benefits that other people enjoy by staying single?

So basically if there are benefits it should be extended to all... However, there shouldn't be benefits.

I think the appropriate action is not to allow gay marriages but to make it a non-issue and remove the benefits.

Around the Network

As for the poll, I chose one man and many women... I thought that was the obvious answer but apperantly not...

I understand some Conservatives think that maybe Civil Unions are some kind of equitable compromise. They aren't a compromise at all. They are code for a draconian practice referred to as Segregation. Which has been defined on many occasions as meaning separate but equal. Segregation makes a victim of everyone. Separation was a injustice then, it is a injustice now, and will always be a injustice. How many times do you have to shove your hand into the flame before you realize it burns. The answer is never going to separate but equal. The only right answer is equal and together.

Government has no place in marriage anyways. That being said, I will never accept marriage as genuine unless it is between a man and a woman.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

Dodece said:
I understand some Conservatives think that maybe Civil Unions are some kind of equitable compromise. They aren't a compromise at all. They are code for a draconian practice referred to as Segregation. Which has been defined on many occasions as meaning separate but equal. Segregation makes a victim of everyone. Separation was a injustice then, it is a injustice now, and will always be a injustice. How many times do you have to shove your hand into the flame before you realize it burns. The answer is never going to separate but equal. The only right answer is equal and together.

Before I post ... I want to say I'm glad I'm finally back from college. College is time-killer :D

Back to the subject!

Curious you use the word segregation towards marriage against gays that being same-sex.

Here are a couple thing that are also can be consider be segregation these groups.

Beastiality,Polygamy, Marriaging 13-15 year olds when your over 18. I wonder do you consider this segregation against these groups?

Beastiality is already legal in 22 countries do you believe it's right for us to not segregate this people and let them have the right to have sex with whatever you want?

What about Polygamy  many countries in the world approve of this and live perfectly normal lives which HURT nobody. Are you fighting for them are do you agree that this country discriminate against them? Polygamy has happen for years and has done nothing really in history to deserve this.

Now the last one the marriage of a 13-15 year old marriage with a man. Do you not agree this is a very clear discrimination of age. In many countries it's perfectly legal to marry a 13 year old because it's  in some socities the age of one becomes an adult. Also back in the old days in the western times it isn't uncommon for a 14 year old to marry an older man.  There are also ways of getting married to under-age people showing that it isn't even consider 100 percent wrong by government standards but more of a social problem with people discriminating based on personal disguest.

Florida:
A minor who swears that they have a child or are expecting a baby, can apply for a license if the pregnancy has been verfied by a written statement from a licensed physician. A county court judge may at his/her discretion issue or not issue a license for them to marry.

Georgia:
Underage female applicants who are pregnant may apply without parental consent. A letter from a doctor must be presented at the time of the application. The doctor's letter must state that the female is pregnant, how far along she is and her estimated due date. This letter must be on the doctor's letterhead with his/her original signature, not a stamped signature.

If underage applicants already have a child, they should present a certified copy of the birth certificate for the child at the time of application.

If parental consent is not required, the court will notify parents or guardians that you have been issued a marriage license. There is an additional fee of $1.00 per letter.

Maryland:
If you are under 18, pregnant or have a child, and show a certificate from a licensed physician stating you are pregnant or have had a child, the parental consent requirement may be waived.

New Jersey:
Male: 16 or younger parties may marry with parental consent and/or permission of judge. Younger parties may obtain license in case of pregnancy or birth of child.

Female: 16 or younger parties may marry with parental consent and/or permission of judge. Younger parties may obtain license in case of pregnancy or birth of child.

Virginia:
Special provisions are made in Virginia law to allow marriage for underage parties when the female is pregnant and for situations in which underage applicants have no parent or legal guardian.

West Virginia:
Special provisions are made in West Virginia law to allow marriage for underage parties when the female is pregnant and for situations in which underage applicants have no parent or legal guardian.

Also what about the argument against them saying that 13 year old is mentally able to make choice like that YET we allow mental men/woman get married who don't even have the thinking ability of a 13 year old or even a 10 year old. There have been many cases of 13-15 year olds marrying and staying together for a long time with no physical abuse or crimes done. 

I want to see what you view on these issues to see if you REALLY believe in stoping segregation or are you just a follower of trends. For example, history has shown people will say there all for justice but there really just fighting for something that makes them feel comfitable with society and not actual fight for something good. I'm intrested to see if you act like history and go with trends or do you actual believe in segregation you so much believe in. I'm honestly curious because I see a lot of people on here throw the word discriminate and segregation like they live lifes that don't opress people based soley on a personal bias. 

Give me your thoughts.

"Excuse me sir, I see you have a weapon. Why don't you put it down and let's settle this like gentlemen"  ~ max

great post ninetails... I agree with it