By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Black Ops 2 Launch Guide (Wii U 720p 60fps, 360/ps3 SUB-HD)

Lusche said:
pezus said:
curl-6 said:
720p still beats sub-HD. (Not to mention the Wii U is also streaming a second screen at 480x854)
Also, the Wii U version isn't capped at 60fps like the 360/PS3 version.

That would be a negative point, not a positive one. And yes, I'd bet money on the Wii U version being capped at 60. Unless you think it's going to be capped at 30. 

I think you misunderstood him or he used the wrong words.

I think he meant ps360 capped = running at 0-60fps and no more than 60fps
And wiiu constant 60fps (not 59 and lower at any given time)

What I meant was that it said the 360/PS3 versions ran at 60fps "max" while the Wii U had no such limit, meaning it could theoretically go higher. In hindsight I realize that's not very likely, as they'd probably just use that extra power for other things besides a 60+ fps.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

What I meant was that it said the 360/PS3 versions ran at 60fps "max" while the Wii U had no such limit, meaning it could theoretically go higher. In hindsight I realize that's not very likely, as they'd probably just use that extra power for other things besides a 60+ fps.

Ah ok thx for clearing it up

curl-6 said:
TheBardsSong said:
zarx said:
TheBardsSong said:
Is this confirmed or just speculation?

The Wii U stuff? 

Just speculation, a rep said the Wii U version was finally "true HD" on a nintendo platform and that it would be 60fps (just like they harp on about X360 and PS3 being 60fps). Fanboys took that too mean that Wii U version was 1080p native, a rep eventually confirmed that it was not 1080p so now people are assuming that it's 720p. 

That may be proved false later 

Yeah, pretty much what I gathered from everything said. I think people are giving both the Wii U and Activision too much credit.

Activision I can understand, but surely it's not asking much of a system with 2GB of RAM and a more modern GPU with more fillrate and features than its competitors to produce a PS3/360 game at 720p/60fps?

We'll see. I hear the Wii U still has a disadvantage in CPU versus the 360/PS3, I wonder how much of an importance that will play. I honestly don't understand my tech stuff too much, but I believe the SNES was in a similar position versus the Genesis. It was capable of producing much better visuals but struggled to run action-heavy games like SHMUPs without some considerable frame drops.

TheBardsSong said:
curl-6 said:
TheBardsSong said:
zarx said:
TheBardsSong said:
Is this confirmed or just speculation?

The Wii U stuff? 

Just speculation, a rep said the Wii U version was finally "true HD" on a nintendo platform and that it would be 60fps (just like they harp on about X360 and PS3 being 60fps). Fanboys took that too mean that Wii U version was 1080p native, a rep eventually confirmed that it was not 1080p so now people are assuming that it's 720p. 

That may be proved false later 

Yeah, pretty much what I gathered from everything said. I think people are giving both the Wii U and Activision too much credit.

Activision I can understand, but surely it's not asking much of a system with 2GB of RAM and a more modern GPU with more fillrate and features than its competitors to produce a PS3/360 game at 720p/60fps?

We'll see. I hear the Wii U still has a disadvantage in CPU versus the 360/PS3, I wonder how much of an importance that will play. I honestly don't understand my tech stuff too much, but I believe the SNES was in a similar position versus the Genesis. It was capable of producing much better visuals but struggled to run action-heavy games like SHMUPs without some considerable frame drops.

I'm not a tech wiz either, but as I understand it, screen resolution is  memory/GPU/bandwidth issue and doesn't affect the CPU.

Also, the Wii U CPU doesn't need to do as much work as the PS3 and 360 CPUs because more tasks are, or at least can be, handled by the GPU instead.

TheBardsSong said:

The CPU is likely clocked lower but it also likely handles more operations per clock cycle making the early reports of it being weak or clocked low irrelevant.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network

I didnt read any of the comments but when i said "true" HD i mean = 1280x720  the standard resolution attached to the HD term, the 360 previous CoD games were runing at 1024x600 and they changed that for black ops 2 now it will be 880x720, you can call it 720p if you want but is not the true standard HD resolution, is an inferior number of pixels, that is what i wanted to explain.

want proof? heres the digital foundry article from eurogamer

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-black-ops-2-60fps-challenge

Totaldemon said:

I didnt read any of the comments but when i said "true" HD i mean = 1280x720  the standard resolution attached to the HD term, the 360 previous CoD games were runing at 1024x600 and they changed that for black ops 2 now it will be 880x720, you can call it 720p if you want but is not the true standard HD is what i mean.

want proof? heres the digital foundry article from eurogamer

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-black-ops-2-60fps-challenge

Some interesting pixel processing information.

1024 x 600 = 614,400 pixels.

880 x 720 = 633,600 pixels.

Not really big boost over previous resolutions.

The Wii U edition may be rendering as many as 1,331,520 pixels (TV and GamePad).   That's twice the number of pixels.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

pezus said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Cobretti2 said:
whilst you all argue about minimal graphical differences of COD, I think I will go enjoy the nicer graphics in Killzone.

Yes, go enjoy your bad game.

And for the record what you just did there is trolling.

That's not trolling, but saying Killzone (most likely 2 or 3) is a bad game could be interpreted as trolling.

Okay, I'll make this simple for you.

What does this thread have to do about Killzone? Nothing, he's trolling. End of discussion.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Viper1 said:
TheBardsSong said:

The CPU is likely clocked lower but it also likely handles more operations per clock cycle making the early reports of it being weak or clocked low irrelevant.

This.

And on top of that the Wii U has a DSP-Chip that handles all the sound and music effects without CPU, that could easily consume 15% - 30% of the CPU in some Xbox360 games.

Viper1 said:
ethomaz said:
superchunk said:

ok, so can everyone stop complaining that WiiU is not more powerful?

No one said that.

What me and others said the Wii U is not too powerful... for me it is 50% more powerful than PS360... weak.

600p@60fps vs 720p@60fps just confirmed that.

You're going to base hardware performance on a game that has had 6 years of hardware development, engine development and is the lead development platform against a console with the first entry and it's an unoptimised port?   That's a fair basis of comparison to you?

Resistance Fall of Man looked better than any 6th gen game and it was a launch PS3 title. Tell me more about how Wii U has a game that looks better than all 7th gen games.