By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U Launch Game Reviews - Predict the best

Tagged games:

Which Wii U Launch Game will Review Best (aggregate)?

Nintendo Land 7 4.35%

New Super Mario Bros U 26 16.15%

Ninja Gaiden 3 - Razor's Edge 2 1.24%

ZombiU 66 40.99%

Assassin's Creed III 10 6.21%

Batman - Arkham City - Hardened Edition 27 16.77%

Mass Effect 3 - Special Edition 6 3.73%

Darksiders 2 1 0.62%

The Wonderful 101 10 6.21%

Other (sorry I didn't li... 6 3.73%

Total:161

Ninja Gaiden 3 - Razor's Edge

From X360/PS3 to Wii U
IGN went from 3 to 7.6
Destructoid from 5 to 5.5
GamesRadar from 3 to 5

I would say, it's safe to say it wont be the top rated Wii U launch title

On other hand, ZombiU now has awesome Asymetric Multiplayer video showing just how cool that is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgRMwlpFzNA

Expecting 9+ review from IGN and perhaps similar from other review outlets if they keep objective. Innovation and quality are rare to achieve together and would definitely earn some high review praise I think.

Around the Network

Nintendo Land
IGN: 8.7
Game Informer: 7
GamesRadar: 7
Destructoid: 7
Joystiq: 8

So I think 7-8 / 10 game

New Super Mario Bros U

IGN: 9.1
Game Informer: Waiting for online functionality to get enabled
EGM: 9
Joystiq: 9
Destructoid: 9
Games Radar: 8

So I take that as a ~9 / 10 game

So far, it is the highest reviewed Wii U launch game. Can anything else do better?
Maybe ZombiU?
Maybe Batman Arkham City?
Maybe even Black Ops 2?

I don't think much else stands a chance of being high eights or 9's.

I voted for NSMBU being the top rated. I see lots of people have voted for ZombiU. I have fears the game will review relatively poorly (based on what I've heard so far...) and I hope you're not all disappointed.

While I am somewhat excited for the title, Ubisoft doesn't exactly have a great track-record.

Scribblenauts Unlimited

IGN: 8.8
1UP: B (is that an 80? or 85?)

So looks like a Mid 8's review scored game. The reviews read extremely positive with one saying easier but many varied puzzles to solve while other saying puzzles too easy. So the difficulty change one reviewer (IGN) liked (compared to past scribblenaut games) while the other (1UP) didn't like.

SiNG Party

GamesRadar: 7
Joystiq: 4

Seems like it gets one concept right which is to be able to face the audience as the singer and have your own screen for lyrics similar to Karaoke bar setups while audience can see more visualizations and lyrics on the main screen. Where the game reviewer got things wrong is expecting the game to somehow track and score the audience response to queues being given by singer. I don't know why the game reviewer is in game/score mode rather than seeing the game as good Karaoke software. Some other gripes like needing to plug in Mic to the console rather than Gamepad, but no gripes regarding the 50 songs selection included.

Based on actual review content, I think fair to say 6-8 rated Karaoke software designed to be fun for fans of Karaoke with some "game" components also just designed to make you better Karaoke singer.

Question: Why does a game/software need to score you for you to enjoy it and have fun? Just Dance is more successful and fun precisely because it doesn't over indulge in such gaming tropes and focuses more on enabling and making fun a social dancing scenarios.

Looks like GameSpot giving ZombiU a 4.5/10

http://m.uk.gamespot.com/call-of-duty-black-ops-ii/videos/call-of-duty-black-ops-ii-capture-the-flag-gameplay-movie-6400269

The guy loved the multiplayer mode as it is more action oriented and hated the single player because he seems to be playing it in grind mode compelled to kill all Zombies slowly and tediously with a cricket bat. Does a really good job of making the game seem as bad as possible.

This review got posted and then taken down by GameSpot. Either due to releasing prematurely before the NDA or some other reason. Regardless of the reason, in the era of the Internet, once its out it's out. Either way, I expect this review will be back officially tomorrow... will be interesting to see how other reviews contrast to the review from GameSpot.

To me this automatically implies that ZombiU will be more in line with Ninja Gaiden 3 for Wii U than New Super Mario Bros U. Disappointing to say the least, but it is not going to stop me from getting the game and trying it out myself.

Around the Network

Batman Arkham City Armored Edition

IGN: 9.5

The review explains why and its because it is one of the best games released to date and not anything specific to the Wii U. If anything the Wii U Gamepad gimmicks harm the experience (in some cases) more than they help.

I expect Batman will get the recognition and love it has earned in reviews across the board and will likely be the highest reviewed Wii U launch game even after more game reviews come in.

Darksiders II

IGN: 7.5

Unfortunately, Darksiders II while appealing for Adventure game fans due to scale and Zelda inspired roots from first game clearly shows that too big, too much loot/grinding is just not good game design for wide range of gamers. Contrast this to Borderlands 2 which is also all about loot but people don't mind it as much in that game. I think the game is attracting Adventure game fans and then giving them loot/grind gameplay which is enjoyed by a very different segment of gamer (such as the ones enjoying Diablo 3 or Borderlands 2). The few cross-over fans thoroughly enjoy it.

Either that... or the loot/grind stuff in Darksiders 2 is just not that well designed/implemented/executed.