By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Halo 4 gets a 20/100 on Meta, proves eview system is broken.

Aldro said:

EDIT: Also, its odd how Meta chooses what sites to add scores to. Like.. there are reviews that are specifically said to be about both PS3 and 360, yet Meta only adds it to ONE of these (usually 360) and leaves PS3 at lower. When looking at exclusives however, the PS3 has A LOT of more reviews (usually, just see Uncharted 2-3 and Heavy Rain. Now try finding any game with that many reviews). Who makes these decisions? lol Thats also why UC2s 105 reviews and keeping 96 is so insane. Like only 1 single score is in the 80s or something OUT OF 105 whereas 38-39 are perfect xD. UC3 is lucky it got 24 perfect scores and managed to outwin that 5/10 from AV.Club due to it.

I can shed some light on that bit.  Metacritic used to allow scores to be applied to both platforms of a multiplat game, but now he's moving towards a system where each written review will only count for the platform that you played the game on the most.  Which platform it applies to is decided by the website.  It's the same reason Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward has 8 reviews on PSV but none on 3DS.  The publisher gave out early review codes for Vita so even if the writer tried out both they spent most of their time with the Vita version and therefore that's the only platform it applies to on meta.  

Hope that helped. 

Around the Network

@longmuckdong can you find me a person that said they will not buy Halo4 because of that one review? Some how I doubt it, this isnt some new series. Halo isnt going to be affected that much by one review.

well they guy has his opinion, some people might not like it, but he is free to believe and write what he wants... The best thing people can do is to try the game for themselves, if you dont want to buy download a demo (I guess there is one, I dont have a 360) or rent it and try it. People should see reviewas for what they are, well written (sometimes) opinions...

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

Mr Puggsly said:
Pjams said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Pjams said:
It's a valid review, I read it and most of what it says is an indictment on not just Halo but all of the other money milking franchises that people are so brainwashed into feeding. And in no way is this review an indictment on metocritic.

Enjoy your game, no need to make pointless threads unless you actually have a point.

Its clear you didn't read much if any of it. The review is basically just a negative spin on everything about the game.

A review by someone who clearly just wants to attack a game... has little validity. Everyone is entitled their opinions, but I don't feel we are getting one from this guy.

My point is, it is just as valid as the reviews that spin it the other way, all the 100/100 scores are just as meaningless and useless. The scores of a 100 are there to placate the fanboys and give them what they want and create traffic on their sites, giving a 20/100 causes fanboys to have a nervous breakdown but ultimately has the same effect of creating traffic on the site. Be it a 20/100 or 100/100, these are not reviews which critically analyse the content, they should be disregarded and thrown out, and if you are basing your own opinions/arguments off of reviews such as these, then you are complicite in the idiocy. You must use critical thinking, otherwise you are just mindless sheep.

That is why I said the review is not just an indictement on Halo but also the money milking franchises and the fanboys. In of itself the review is meaningless and easily ignored, it is only threads like this which give it weight. 

While I'm skeptical about perfect scores. I'm certain the review by that blog website is bullshit. Bear in mind that reviewer didn't really give it 20/100, he gave it a 1/5. If he reviewed on a scale of a hundred, he probably would have gave it a 1/100.

I think scores that low should be saved for games that are broken and unplayable. Nobody believes that is the case for Halo  4 therefore his review is completely invalid. I feel a perfect score for a broken game is invalid as well.

Threads like this point out Metacritic needs to be a little more selective on what reviews are added to the metascore. Reviews that are clearly trolling shouldn't be included.

Meta is what it is. It doesn't aggregate a true score by throwing out the highs and lows, it's merely for info/links and entertainment purposes. Regardless of how you or I feel about whether a score is too high or low, meta is not a valid scoring system, nor is it claiming to be. It is up to you to choose to read a review and accept or disregard a score. There are a few sites which I respect and read, and whether or not their scores and opinions match up with my own does nothing to diminish my gaming experince. This whole, head in the sand, scores must match my hype meter mentality is petulant and moronic, and has nothing to do with metacritic.

The reviewer obviously doesn't like the Halo gameplay mechanics and is probably trying to ganer hits by givinh such a controversial score. Still Halo 4 has 66 reviews and sitting on 87 I think on Meta whicch ain't bad. I guess the more reviews used then the more likely a bad or mixed one will crop up to bring the overall score down.

Around the Network
Pjams said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Pjams said:
It's a valid review, I read it and most of what it says is an indictment on not just Halo but all of the other money milking franchises that people are so brainwashed into feeding. And in no way is this review an indictment on metocritic.

Enjoy your game, no need to make pointless threads unless you actually have a point.

Its clear you didn't read much if any of it. The review is basically just a negative spin on everything about the game.

A review by someone who clearly just wants to attack a game... has little validity. Everyone is entitled their opinions, but I don't feel we are getting one from this guy.

My point is, it is just as valid as the reviews that spin it the other way, all the 100/100 scores are just as meaningless and useless. The scores of a 100 are there to placate the fanboys and give them what they want and create traffic on their sites, giving a 20/100 causes fanboys to have a nervous breakdown but ultimately has the same effect of creating traffic on the site. Be it a 20/100 or 100/100, these are not reviews which critically analyse the content, they should be disregarded and thrown out, and if you are basing your own opinions/arguments off of reviews such as these, then you are complicite in the idiocy. You must use critical thinking, otherwise you are just mindless sheep.

That is why I said the review is not just an indictement on Halo but also the money milking franchises and the fanboys. In of itself the review is meaningless and easily ignored, it is only threads like this which give it weight. 

I know your point and I disagree. I think that negative review is far more meaningless because Halo 4 is a genuinely great game.

Also, I think you've missed the point. This thread isn't really about that negative review. This thread is just pointing out a problem with Metacritic. Metacritic is giving that moron a platform to get attention. Far more than this thread will.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
Pjams said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Pjams said:

I know your point and I disagree. I think that negative review is far more meaningless because Halo 4 is a genuinely great game.

Also, I think you've missed the point. This thread isn't really about that negative review. This thread is just pointing out a problem with Metacritic. Metacritic is giving that moron a platform to get attention. Far more than this thread will.

Whale's Vagina

Only complete idiots care about review scores,I don't need the irrelevant meaning of some idiots to judge the quality of a game, and metacitics or gamerankings is the bigget  load of bullshit of all times, there are not only one fool who gives his useless opinion there are a bunch of random fools and all there usless opinions are squeezed to gether at the end you have a big load of bullshit which doesn't mean anything.

The only way you can experience how good a game is is when you play it for youreslf and it is for everyone a different experience, the one likes things that the other hate, so opinions of others are pointless in this case.

crissindahouse said:

even if you hate as example basketball you simply can't give a good basketball game 0%.

Yes you can and in my opinion, you should.

Well at least he is more accurate than IGN or at least going into the right direction.