By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Halo 4 gets a 20/100 on Meta, proves eview system is broken.

Max King of the Wild said:
Gran Turismo 5 1,980 2,410
Gran Turismo 4 3,350
Gran Turismo 3 7,140
Gran Turismo 2 3,960
Gran Turismo 3,990

not saying he is right...  but in NA where reviews are mostly from the sales have declined tremendously.

Fixed for accurary.

Around the Network
D-Joe said:
Slimebeast said:

Don't underestimate the impact of these particularly harsh reviews and the few percentages down on the Metascore will have on Halo 4.

I've already claimed it will have a significant effect on sales and that I'm pretty confident that even some of our own members here on VGC have canceled their plans to buy Halo 4 early and instead have taken a "wait and see" approach (to wait until other gamers have played it, or to wait until Black Ops is out, or to wait until Halo 4 drops in price).

(Please come forward and admit you are one of those so I get living proof to my claim lol)

That's how psychology works.

It has created doubt and it has totally shifted focus.

Just look at what's happening. We're having hundreds and hundreds of posts on this very site that all are discussing the bad reviews.

The whole focus is put on the potentially weak aspects of Halo 4 instead of the strong ones.

And the consequences of this will spread all the way to the developer itself, 343 Studios. I am sure that some of the 343 guys have just had a huge sigh of relief that their game was well received and that they've proved they are worthy to take over the Halo legacy from Bungie.

But at the same time I am also sure that the harsh criticisms and some of the impact from the internet meltdowns will be felt even by the designers at 343, that some of them will have this small ache in their stomach and think:

"oh damn, those harsh criticisms we got, could there be some truth to that?. It wasn't universal praise after all. Now the whole internet is aware that Halo has an image problem and is perceived as old compared to the competition."

Effect sales?you should read the newest GT5 news,or AC3 first week sales in UK

Gran Turismo 5 1,980
Gran Turismo 4 3,350
Gran Turismo 3 7,140
Gran Turismo 2 3,960
Gran Turismo 3,990

not saying he is right...  but in NA where reviews are mostly from the sales have declined tremendously.

Sorry but no,it's not because reviews,it's because NA don't really like sim race game anymore(did you see some other sim race like Forza replaced GT5 sales in NA?nope)

You need to know GT5 already outsold GT1,2 in eupore(and getting close to GT3),and it's highest sales GT in Asia now

Slimebeast said:

Don't underestimate the impact of these particularly harsh reviews and the few percentages down on the Metascore will have on Halo 4.

I've already claimed it will have a significant effect on sales and that I'm pretty confident that even some of our own members here on VGC have canceled their plans to buy Halo 4 early and instead have taken a "wait and see" approach (to wait until other gamers have played it, or to wait until Black Ops is out, or to wait until Halo 4 drops in price).

(Please come forward and admit you are one of those so I get living proof to my claim lol)

That's how psychology works.

It has created doubt and it has totally shifted focus.

Just look at what's happening. We're having hundreds and hundreds of posts on this very site that all are discussing the bad reviews.

The whole focus is put on the potentially weak aspects of Halo 4 instead of the strong ones.

And the consequences of this will spread all the way to the developer itself, 343 Studios. I am sure that some of the 343 guys have just had a huge sigh of relief that their game was well received and that they've proved they are worthy to take over the Halo legacy from Bungie.

But at the same time I am also sure that the harsh criticisms and some of the impact from the internet meltdowns will be felt even by the designers at 343, that some of them will have this small ache in their stomach and think:

"oh damn, those harsh criticisms we got, could there be some truth to that?. It wasn't universal praise after all. Now the whole internet is aware that Halo has an image problem and is perceived as old compared to the competition."

Stop trying so hard you need to get out of you coach and get some real friends.

it doesnt matter, Mw3 and Black Ops meta is 87 and they are the best selling game of 2010 and 2011.

it doesnt mean sh**.

ethomaz said:
Gran Turismo 5 1,980 2,410
Gran Turismo 4 3,350
Gran Turismo 3 7,140
Gran Turismo 2 3,960
Gran Turismo 3,990

Fixed for accurary.

did not see the XL edition

Mr Puggsly said:
Pjams said:
It's a valid review, I read it and most of what it says is an indictment on not just Halo but all of the other money milking franchises that people are so brainwashed into feeding. And in no way is this review an indictment on metocritic.

Enjoy your game, no need to make pointless threads unless you actually have a point.

Its clear you didn't read much if any of it. The review is basically just a negative spin on everything about the game.

A review by someone who clearly just wants to attack a game... has little validity. Everyone is entitled their opinions, but I don't feel we are getting one from this guy.

My point is, it is just as valid as the reviews that spin it the other way, all the 100/100 scores are just as meaningless and useless. The scores of a 100 are there to placate the fanboys and give them what they want and create traffic on their sites, giving a 20/100 causes fanboys to have a nervous breakdown but ultimately has the same effect of creating traffic on the site. Be it a 20/100 or 100/100, these are not reviews which critically analyse the content, they should be disregarded and thrown out, and if you are basing your own opinions/arguments off of reviews such as these, then you are complicite in the idiocy. You must use critical thinking, otherwise you are just mindless sheep.

That is why I said the review is not just an indictement on Halo but also the money milking franchises and the fanboys. In of itself the review is meaningless and easily ignored, it is only threads like this which give it weight. 

Around the Network
D-Joe said:

Sorry but no,it's not because reviews,it's because NA don't really like sim race game anymore(did you see some other sim race like Forza replaced GT5 sales in NA?nope)

You need to know GT5 already outsold GT1,2 in eupore(and getting close to GT3),and it's highest sales GT in Asia now

It sold more in Asia because of all the different markets that it has availble to it now. And why bring any of that up when I made it clear review sites are mostly from NA. You'll get a handful of different countries but nothing like the million NA has.

You can claim NA doesn't care about their racing sims but that would be inaccurate. there is no reason to believe that sharp of a decrease is because those people just don't enjoy that type of game anymore. More than likely some people bought Forza and some didn't want to buy a "bad game" because of the impression the reviews gave of it.

I guarentee you Halo 4 won't sell as much as Halo3 but I wont be so bold as you and claim its because NA doesnt care about shooters anymore

Listen I dont really care too much about reviews but I see no way you can defend this review.

If you read the review he pretty much says nothing is broken its just more of the same and doesnt innovate.

In a correct way of scoring thats about a 5 / 10. completly average and nothing mind blowing in his opinion. But a 2? No game shoukd get a 2 unless its completly broken and unplayable

BenVTrigger said:
Listen I dont really care too much about reviews but I see no way you can defend this review.

If you read the review he pretty much says nothing is broken its just more of the same and doesnt innovate.

In a correct way of scoring thats about a 5 / 10. completly average and nothing mind blowing in his opinion. But a 2? No game shoukd get a 2 unless its completly broken and unplayable

Well its Tom Click, probably fat and rich.

D-Joe said:

It sold more in Asia because of all the different markets that it has availble to it now. And why bring any of that up when I made it clear review sites are mostly from NA. You'll get a handful of different countries but nothing like the million NA has.

You can claim NA doesn't care about their racing sims but that would be inaccurate. there is no reason to believe that sharp of a decrease is because those people just don't enjoy that type of game anymore. More than likely some people bought Forza and some didn't want to buy a "bad game" because of the impression the reviews gave of it.

I guarentee you Halo 4 won't sell as much as Halo3 but I wont be so bold as you and claim its because NA doesnt care about shooters anymore

I hope,but it doesn't,Forza did not replaced GT5 in NA(unless you inculded bundle version)

And i don't even said Halo 4 will outsold Halo 3,it's he always said Halo 4 will flop,not just this time

Btw,most NA sites give very high score to Halo 4,why you even bring NA sites to you post?it just prove NA media like it,not something like "meh" or even hate it

The 5.5 one is from Australia,1/5 star one?well,it's from a blog,you really think mostly people will care a personal blog?

Slimebeast said:
He trolled Halo 4 to get attention but also to make an important statement.

Because these ridicilous 95% Metas and 9.8 scores from IGN are in fact also trolling. But instead of trolling games these 'critics' are trolling us - the gamers.

This guy has integrity (together with a craving for attention).

So a slightly cheap way to make a statement but nevertheless a very important statement that we ultimately should be thankful for.

Except that he himself has given out "10's" to games like SSX, Darkness II, Guild Wars 2, etc. And the game he supposedly used to get this message across is a game that would have an 88-89% score without his soap box review bringing the score down. So yeah that makes no sense. If he's doing what you're saying he is doing, then 1. he is part of the "problem" and 2. he is using the wrong game to do it.