By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Halo 4 gets a 20/100 on Meta, proves eview system is broken.

Gilgamesh said:

Edge is really gong to have to go low to beat that!

8/10 - http://www.edge-online.com/review/halo-4-review/

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
crissindahouse said:

yes as example controls should be a factor of a review, you simply shouldn't give a game a perfect score if it has bad controls with which you have problems to aim or jumping or whatever. and if you look at halo you simply have to see that that's something halo is good at and better as many other games.

and he can think what he wants as much as you, that still doesn't qualify him do this job. we all know gaming journalism has many flaws but do you think people study journalism and learn "if you write an article about a game/product everything has to be your own opinion and you don't have to try to write it at least in a way people can still understand if it's good or bad for them"?

like i said about the egm guy (i edited my post you quoted), he gave 70 for halo and i even defended him in another thread as one of the biggest halo fan but the difference between him and this guy here is, he wrote the article to explain to people if it is a good or bad game for them. for me his review reads exactly as i will love like the game. he pointed some stuff out as negative for him which i prefer in a game and people who think like him will understand it's maybe not a game for them. if you read this guy's review NOBODY will read out of it that it could be good for them. if i would only read this review i would think this game has to be a horrible experience for me so this guy absolutely failed to write a review in which he differentiate between different kind of gamers. if all people would fail as much as him dance games would get a 5% metascore because most reviewers don't like those games but they obviously don't deserve it if they are good in their genre.

A reviewer isn't obligated to point out both positive and negative; if the reviewer feels that one major flaw derails the entire experience and makes it as a whole overwhelmingly negative, that's a fair assessment.

Besides, people could take away from this review that, "hey, it's more of the same, but I love it just the way it is, so that's fine." Others could understand it as "wow, it's just more of the same?  Not interested then." He simply didn't choose to pitch his review at fans who've already made the decision to buy it and just want to hear their purchase justified.

this, i feel that some people just want their purchases justified which makes no sense to me, if you love a game that should be enough

miz1q2w3e said:
MB1025 said:
ethomaz said:
Oh God... this dude is famous...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Chick

He score Uncharted 3 and Journey 2/5.

Journey does suck. You play as a flying tissue for maybe an hour with no story. Now your going to tell me it is art. However if the game has no story and is an hour long if that then what is the point? Here is a case of Journey being overrated because it is different. Different =/= Good.

lol

lol

Thanks for quoting that. I missed the original post.

"a flying tissue". Hahaha, so good. Post of the week.

An 88 overall seems about right for this game got to have a few idiots dropping 20's on the game to offset all the paid XBOX reviews that gave it 100's. The Metacritic system is a joke we all know it. However, overall an 88/100 will not scare anyone off from buying this game.

Slimebeast said:
He trolled Halo 4 to get attention but also to make an important statement.

Because these ridicilous 95% Metas and 9.8 scores from IGN are in fact also trolling. But instead of trolling games these 'critics' are trolling us - the gamers.

This guy has integrity (together with a craving for attention).

So a slightly cheap way to make a statement but nevertheless a very important statement that we ultimately should be thankful for.

Agree.

Also I'm appalled on how much this issue has been blown out of proportion. I mean, come on guys, it's just a single review among dozens of a gave you weren't even close to be involved whatsoever on its production. Why do you care that much? How the hell do you care and still is able to tell with a straight face silly stuff like "Apple drones" and whatnot. The day Halo 4 getting a 90, or an 89 on metacritic affect the size of your penis, then yeah, you'll have a compelling reason to complain. But until then...

Around the Network

They shoulda sent Tom Chick more shipments of Doritos and Dew.

Don't underestimate the impact of these particularly harsh reviews and the few percentages down on the Metascore will have on Halo 4.

I've already claimed it will have a significant effect on sales and that I'm pretty confident that even some of our own members here on VGC have canceled their plans to buy Halo 4 early and instead have taken a "wait and see" approach (to wait until other gamers have played it, or to wait until Black Ops is out, or to wait until Halo 4 drops in price).

(Please come forward and admit you are one of those so I get living proof to my claim lol)

That's how psychology works.

It has created doubt and it has totally shifted focus.

Just look at what's happening. We're having hundreds and hundreds of posts on this very site that all are discussing the bad reviews.

The whole focus is put on the potentially weak aspects of Halo 4 instead of the strong ones.

And the consequences of this will spread all the way to the developer itself, 343 Studios. I am sure that some of the 343 guys have just had a huge sigh of relief that their game was well received and that they've proved they are worthy to take over the Halo legacy from Bungie.

But at the same time I am also sure that the harsh criticisms and some of the impact from the internet meltdowns will be felt even by the designers at 343, that some of them will have this small ache in their stomach and think:

"oh damn, those harsh criticisms we got, could there be some truth to that?. It wasn't universal praise after all. Now the whole internet is aware that Halo has an image problem and is perceived as old compared to the competition."

Slimebeast said:

Don't underestimate the impact of these particularly harsh reviews and the few percentages down on the Metascore will have on Halo 4.

I've already claimed it will have a significant effect on sales and that I'm pretty confident that even some of our own members here on VGC have canceled their plans to buy Halo 4 early and instead have taken a "wait and see" approach (to wait until other gamers have played it, or to wait until Black Ops is out, or to wait until Halo 4 drops in price).

(Please come forward and admit you are one of those so I get living proof to my claim lol)

Just look at what's happening. We're having hundreds and hundreds of posts on this very site that all are discussing the bad reviews.

The whole focus is put on the potentially weak aspects of Halo 4 instead of the strong ones.

And the consequences of this will spread all the way to the developer itself, 343 Studios. I am sure that some of the 343 guys have just had a huge sigh of relief that their game was well received and that they've proved they are worthy to take over the Halo legacy from Bungie.

But at the same time I am also sure that the harsh criticisms and some of the impact from the internet meltdowns will be felt even by the designers at 343, that some of them will have this small ache in their stomach and think:

"oh damn, those harsh criticisms we got, could there be some truth to that?. It wasn't universal praise after all. Now the whole internet is aware that Halo has an image problem and is perceived as old compared to the competition."

Effect sales?you should read the newest GT5 news,or AC3 first week sales in UK
Well,not really surprised,you always said Halo 4 sales will have big drop,i remember that

And you need to know,the "hundreds and hundreds" of post mostly by around 20 peoples with 100% buy it or won't buy it,no matter what score,do you really think normal gamers and kids will care some shitty review score form unknown site(from them)?Every time,the biggest part of effect game sales is:MARKETING

Or you think halo4 come with small budget marketing?

he won his five minutes of glory.now let's let this site die.

D-Joe said:
Slimebeast said:

Effect sales?you should read the newest GT5 news,or AC3 first week sales in UK

Gran Turismo 5 1,980
Gran Turismo 4 3,350
Gran Turismo 3 7,140
Gran Turismo 2 3,960
Gran Turismo 3,990

not saying he is right...  but in NA where reviews are mostly from the sales have declined tremendously.