By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - 2012 Election Center: The Main Event - Obama Wins

Of the two main candidates for president, who will win?

Barack Obama 245 75.85%

Mitt Romney 73 22.60%

Total:318
Kasz216 said:
GameOver22 said:
gergroy said:
gallops last poll came out today, romney 49, obama 48

interesting

I was actually more interested in the fact that Gallup had it that close. Prior to Sandy hitting (after which they suspended their polls), all their polls were generally showing Romney up by 4-6 points. I was almost thinking that Obama's mini-surge was just a product of Gallup exiting the polls.

That's actually pretty common for Gallup.

Last presidential election they were tied with Rasmussen when Rasmussen for "Most accurate final number"  hoever were horrible when it came to consistency in their poll numbers.

They likely have an oversampling of undecideds/people who change their mind.

On the one hand... I think Obama will win.  On the otherhand it's hard to discount Rasmussen whose sample has been in 1st place when figuring out who will be President.  It's why there is a very real chance of a popular vote/electoral vote split.

Interesting. I never really payed much attention to gallup in particular. I just saw their numbers shoot up to around +7 at one point and hover around that area, so it caught my attention. We were discussing it in one of my classes, and one suggestion was that their likely voter model might be suspect. I guess they don't make their screening process public. Personally, I don't know much about it, but the poll numbers were odd.

Around the Network

Here we go:

Obama-272- 49.9%

Romney-266- 48.6%

I got Romney taking Ohio, Virginia, Florida, and North Carolina. Obama takes the rest of the swing states to take the Electoral College.

GameOver22 said:
Kasz216 said:
GameOver22 said:
gergroy said:

interesting

I was actually more interested in the fact that Gallup had it that close. Prior to Sandy hitting (after which they suspended their polls), all their polls were generally showing Romney up by 4-6 points. I was almost thinking that Obama's mini-surge was just a product of Gallup exiting the polls.

Last presidential election they were tied with Rasmussen when Rasmussen for "Most accurate final number"  hoever were horrible when it came to consistency in their poll numbers.

On the one hand... I think Obama will win.  On the otherhand it's hard to discount Rasmussen whose sample has been in 1st place when figuring out who will be President.  It's why there is a very real chance of a popular vote/electoral vote split.

Interesting. I never really payed much attention to gallup in particular. I just saw their numbers shoot up to around +7 at one point and hover around that area, so it caught my attention. We were discussing it in one of my classes, and one suggestion was that their likely voter model might be suspect. I guess they don't make their screening process public. Personally, I don't know much about it, but the poll numbers were odd.

Actually, i double checked that and I was wrong...

it was Pew that was like that last tine.   Sorry.

In 08, Gallup just like the majority of polls over estimated Obama's poll numbers.   (Gallup by +2%.)

Which is really the warning that may come to bear.  Polling tends to skew democrat... it's just rarely close enough to matter.

Still, it makes me think their problem is largely in overepresenting undecideds.

Either way, if you were to base elections based on previous accuracy,  You'd use a mix of Rasmussen, Ruerters and GWU,  and maybe Pew though their consistency is questionable.

Kasz216 said:
GameOver22 said:
Kasz216 said:
GameOver22 said:
gergroy said:

interesting

Actually, i double checked that and I was wrong...

it was Pew that was like that last tine.   Sorry.

In 08, Gallup just like the majority of polls over estimated Obama's poll numbers.   (Gallup by +2%.)

Which is really the warning that may come to bear.  Polling tends to skew democrat... it's just rarely close enough to matter.

Still, it makes me think their problem is largely in overepresenting undecideds.

Either way, if you were to base elections based on previous accuracy,  You'd use a mix of Rasmussen, Ruerters and GWU,  and maybe Pew though their consistency is questionable.

I don't know. It seems like the national polls from 2008 were pretty accurate. On average, they overestimated Obama's share by 0.3% points.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/national.html

GameOver22 said:
the2real4mafol said:
Let's predict the final result

Barack Obama (Democrat)~49%
Mitt Romney (Republican)~45%
Others~ 6%

Let's see how close that is!

You're braver than me. I might make a prediction if I have some free time tonight and can count up some electoral votes. My first impression is that the third party vote won't be anywhere near 6 percent, but who knows?

we'll see but people don't seem to like either Obama or Romney very much, so i think some people might vote 3rd party

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
the2real4mafol said:

Others~ 6%

Why not.

Popular Vote
Barak Obama -  49.6%
Mitt Romney - 48.8%

Electoral Vote

Obama - 286.

Romney - 248.

Though if turoun numbers are wrong that whole script could be flipped.

I expect turnout to be lower than it should be in some states because voting seems to be made something of an inconvience

http://rt.com/usa/news/florida-vote-early-voting-017/

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

the2real4mafol said:
GameOver22 said:
the2real4mafol said:

Others~ 6%

You're braver than me. I might make a prediction if I have some free time tonight and can count up some electoral votes. My first impression is that the third party vote won't be anywhere near 6 percent, but who knows?

we'll see but people don't seem to like either Obama or Romney very much, so i think some people might vote 3rd party

True, enthusiasm for the major parties seems to be down this year, but, at the same time, there doesn't seem to be a lot of enthusiasm for a third-party candidate either. Personally, I'm going to predict that between 1-2% of the vote goes to third parties. Third parties always face the problem of people not wanting to waste a vote.

the2real4mafol said:
Kasz216 said:
the2real4mafol said:

Others~ 6%

Why not.

Popular Vote
Barak Obama -  49.6%
Mitt Romney - 48.8%

Electoral Vote

Obama - 286.

Romney - 248.

I expect turnout to be lower than it should be in some states because voting seems to be made something of an inconvience

Believe it or not, low turnout numbers would probably be good for Obama.

As he's winning Democrats, but losing Independents and Republicans. 

That said... voter turnout is actually a lot higher then you would think.  It's just calculated stupidly.

It's calculated by counting the number of votes vs the number of people of voting age that appeared on the census... ignoring

A)  felons can't vote

B) People with visas and other legal aliens can't vote.

C) Illegal aliens can't vote.

All three are counted in the US Census.

HappySqurriel said:
the2real4mafol said:

Others~ 6%

I'm not confident enough to make a real prediction, but I think it will either be Obama just barely beating Romney or Romney beating Obama by a fairly large margin ...

At the moment I think that of people who are going to vote about 45% are intending on voting for Romney, about 46% are intending on voting for Obama, and about 9% plan on voting for a third party candidate or are truly undecided. I think the two most likely outcomes are for third party voters to maintain their vote and the undecided voters to split pretty evenly which leads to an Obama win, or for the third party vote to disappear into Romney and for undecided voters to split in favour of Romney leading to a significant win for Romney.

If Romney wins, I would think he cheated because his family own machines that count votes in several states, while his party is sending out lying ads that are trying to deter voters from voting, it might be a conspiracy itself but i thats what i think.

But i expect any 3rd party votes to come off Romney from what are usually republican voters and vote 3rd party, for example Ron Paul fans won't vote romney, they will probably vote johnson. But who knows about undecided voters?

Kasz216 said:
the2real4mafol said:
Kasz216 said:
the2real4mafol said:

Others~ 6%

Why not.

Popular Vote
Barak Obama -  49.6%
Mitt Romney - 48.8%

Electoral Vote

Obama - 286.

Romney - 248.

Believe it or not, low turnout numbers would probably be good for Obama.

As he's winning Democrats, but losing Independents and Republicans. 

That said... voter turnout is actually a lot higher then you would think.  It's just calculated stupidly.

It's calculated by counting the number of votes vs the number of people of voting age that appeared on the census... ignoring

A)  felons can't vote

B) People with visas and other legal aliens can't vote.

C) Illegal aliens can't vote.

All three are counted in the US Census.

oh ok but what sort of turnout do you get in these sort of elections? In British general elections every 5 years, we get 60% to 65% turnout