By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Ultimate Goal for Orbis: Run 1080p, 60frames with no problem. Powerful enough for today and tomorrows markets. Affordable but not a slouch.

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
"The machine is not being made in Japan."? any speculations on why?

I think they are being developed in countries where their official currency sucks in comparison to other countries.    So they dont end up loosing money in the transition to other currencies **cough yens to dollars cough**.  Consoles made in japan actually are costing more than what they cost in the US, but if they had the true exchange rate, no one would buy the console, so they loose money.

Around the Network
Heavenly_King said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
"The machine is not being made in Japan."? any speculations on why?

I think they are being developed in countries where their official currency sucks in comparison to other countries.    So they dont end up loosing money in the transition to other currencies **cough yens to dollars cough**.  Consoles made in japan actually are costing more than what they cost in the US, but if they had the true exchange rate, no one would buy the console, so they loose money.

just as  i thought. thanks

Xxain said:
VGKing said:
Rafux said:
No rumors of any gimmick so far.

Just the way I like it. Playstation Move was a failure and there is no point in following up with its successor. Focus purely on the core gamer.

Sadly I just don't think that's going to happen. The Just Dance market is too big to ignore. I just hope they launch PS Move 2.0 or whatever seperately and not force it on us like MS most likely will with Kinect 2.0.

NO NO NO.

Why do you think to PS1 was so huge?

Why do you think the PS2 was so huge?

Why do you think PS3 did not have the level of success as predecessors?

Why do you think VITA is having so trouble?

Surely you think all those 100mill PS1 owners were core?

Surely you think all those 120  PS2 owners were core?

Hell surely you dont think all PS3 owners are core?

C'mon man

I think they were mostly core.  I mean those systems just had the best games and the way they marketed it and focused their games made it appealing to an older audience.  They also had CD and DVD players but it was mostly about the games.  PS3 is mostly core because casuals go for the cheap console not a $600 one.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Xxain said:
VGKing said:
Rafux said:
No rumors of any gimmick so far.

Just the way I like it. Playstation Move was a failure and there is no point in following up with its successor. Focus purely on the core gamer.

Sadly I just don't think that's going to happen. The Just Dance market is too big to ignore. I just hope they launch PS Move 2.0 or whatever seperately and not force it on us like MS most likely will with Kinect 2.0.

NO NO NO.

Why do you think to PS1 was so huge?

Why do you think the PS2 was so huge?

Why do you think PS3 did not have the level of success as predecessors?

Why do you think VITA is having so trouble?

Surely you think all those 100mill PS1 owners were core?

Surely you think all those 120  PS2 owners were core?

Hell surely you dont think all PS3 owners are core?

C'mon man

The PS1 and PS2 were marketed to the older gamer.(unlike Nintendo which is for families/kids)

That's why those consoles were so successful. The types of games on those consoles were the core games, these games were mostly exclusive to Sony's consoles. Then came Microsoft.....

PS3 had trouble this gen because Microsoft was targeting the same demographics as Sony.....now Microsoft seems to be targeting that Nintendo gamer as well...if they can manage both, then I can easily see Xbox 720 being #1 worldwide.

No, not all PS2/PS1/PS3/ owners are/were core but they were the ones that made it the success that they are, especially early on.  Once you have the core on-board, word of mouth spreads, the casuals get on-board too. PS3 could have easily dominated this gen if it price matched the 360. Without Sony's high PS3 price, the 360 wouldn't be as successful as it is.(the RROD epidemic would have been the end for Microsoft consoles).

(For reference: I don't consider the Call of Duty or Grand Theft auto gamer "casual". I include them with "core" since these are core games.)

PSX and PS2 were the casual/ shovelware paradise, thats why they sold so much
keep living in denial about most PS buyers being core

Around the Network
DieAppleDie said:

what's the higest selling games on ps1.....and what's the highest sellings game on ps2

and what's the highest selling games on wii?

no doubt they had sholveware, all market leaders do, the difference is sholveware bombed on ps1/2 and the core games built the library, however on wii sholveware defined the system

sorry to tell you but it's not the spoon that's bending here man

DieAppleDie said:

lol with franchises like: devil may cry, mgs, gta, final fantasy, tekken etc etc etc being some of the biggest franchises on the console i have to strongly disagree with you

Wii shovelware
PSX/ PS2 purely core masterpieces
ok, have a nice day

Peter Joseph from NC

pezus said:
Where did this post come from? PS4 might very well support 4k resolution, but certainly not for retail games. What's so outlandish about that? 

4K will be mostly marketing.

1) 4K TVs currently cost $20,000+. If we estimate how long it will take for these TVs to drop, it will be at least 5 years, more maybe. Then even once these TVs drop to reasonable levels, how many people will go out and spend extra on a 4K TV from a 1080P one? This brings me to the 2nd point.

2) 4K TVs are useless for living room. This is based on how the human eye works. You'd need a TV > 100 inches in size if you sit in the middle of your living room and your TV is in the corner since human vision is not like that of a hawk.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57366319-221/why-4k-tvs-are-stupid/

Based on math of how the human eye works, if we sit 8 feet away (96 inches), or 0.028 inch on the resolution side, this means you'd need a TV that's bigger than 60 inches to really benefit from 1080p.  Where's the crossover where 1080p and 4K become noticeable? It's not exact because of all the above mentioned variables, but suffice it to say at 10 feet, it's somewhere well above 77 inches. To fully resolve all 4K pixels at 10 feet, you'd need a TV 154 inches in size.

4K makes a lot of sense for PC monitors or 17 inch laptops, but not for consoles. And then you get to the fact that PS4 won't be powerful enough to run next generation games at native 4K resolution. Most people don't realize it, but PS3 plays a ton of games at very low resolution, not 1920x1080. Black Ops 2 runs at between 880x720 and 832x624, Uncharted 3 at 896x504.

Take a next generation DX11 game with everything maxed out on PS4 at 1920x1080, like Crysis 3, and you'd need a console 6-8x more powerful just to run that.

http://venturebeat.com/2012/12/14/cryteks-chief-nothing-will-beat-crysis-3s-graphics-for-at-least-two-years-interview/

I am being generous too because at full 1080P, Crysis 3 probably won't even run at 60 fps on a PS4 because not even a $1000 GTX690 can do it in alpha testing.

ambitious. i hope Sony can pull it off. sounds like thy're trying to get all thier ducks in a row, and that's encouraging but price is key.

i hope PS-Omni-4 can be preiced in rang of $259(not likely) to $350. i'd like to see a $299 retail price.