By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game of the Year COMPILED 2008 to 2013 (7th Gen)

Aldro said:
Meta score of the exclusives:
97 - Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)
96 - Uncharted 2 (PS3)
95 - LittleBigPlanet (PS3)
94 - Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3)
93 - Gears of War 2 (360)
93 - Skyward Sword (Wii)
92 - Uncharted 3 (PS3)
92 - God of War III (PS3)
87 - Heavy Rain (PS3)

Well I couldn't give a monkey's about nonsensical GOTY awards or your picks for best graphics but the above quote is wrong, God of War III ranked above Uncharted 3 on Metacritic whether you like it or not http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/ps3?view=condensed&sort=desc.

And because I despise Metacritic for it's inconsistency and weighted averages, here's a more accurate list for you to use with information by GameRankings. 

1) 97.12% - Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)
2) 96.46% - Uncharted 2 (PS3)
3) 94.74% - LittleBigPlanet (PS3)
4) 93.64% - Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3)
5) 93.32% - Gears of War 2 (360)
6) 93.11% - Skyward Sword (Wii)
7) 92.54% - God of War III (PS3)
8) 91.76% - Uncharted 3 (PS3)
9) 89.30% - Heavy Rain (PS3)

Around the Network

I agree with Gears of war 2 being up there...

Farsala said:

You don't agree with the others?

Considering both systems have access to at least 12 "GOTY quality" games, and the hd consoles have a tie ratio of less than 10 games, both console owners had access to more than enough great games to get by the last 4 years.

Also thank you op for linking that website. I last saw someone post it nearly a year ago and I lost the bookmark and have been trying to find it again forever.

biggamejames79 said:
You'd think more people would be buying/playing all those ps3 games since they're critically acclaimed. Is Skyrim truly multiplat? I heard a lot of ps3 owners couldn't play it very well.

We can't. 

People keep telling PS3 users to quit whining about the DLC when the main game itself is broken and many aspects make it unplayable. 

For many people, including myself, when we get about 60-90 hours in, severe lag and pop-in begin. For some, save files begin corrupting and quests become unstartable or unfinishable. 

Anyway, that sure is a PS3 heavy list... Although MGS4, GOW3, and the Uncharted series definitely deserve some big nods, especially from a presentation aspect. Those are by far some of the best looking games of this gen. 

Around the Network
riderz13371 said:
Farsala said:

I agree with a lot of them, thought you have to wonder why any forza did not make the list when its supposed to be the best racer. Are GOTY awards biased towards shooters and open world rpgs? (+heavy rain)

Hurt Locker was awesome. I i disagree with the media as i think most mainstream games will always get GOTY.

Pesmerga7551 said:
I agree with the graphical picks. XBots might not like it but who cares. But lets forget about that for a second and be honest. Nothing in the box for those years rivals the Sony exclusives in detailing. Nothing. But looking back, 2008 is land of bad graphics. LOL-__- Even the best MGS4, looks mediocre to Uncharted 3, and such.

metal gear 4 winning graphics award over crysis is insult

Farsala said:
riderz13371 said:
Farsala said:

I agree with a lot of them, thought you have to wonder why any forza did not make the list when its supposed to be the best racer. Are GOTY awards biased towards shooters and open world rpgs? (+heavy rain)

Game of the Year awards can go to any type of game genre. VERY difficult for a racing game to win one though. 

ZaneWane said:
Pesmerga7551 said:
I agree with the graphical picks. XBots might not like it but who cares. But lets forget about that for a second and be honest. Nothing in the box for those years rivals the Sony exclusives in detailing. Nothing. But looking back, 2008 is land of bad graphics. LOL-__- Even the best MGS4, looks mediocre to Uncharted 3, and such.

metal gear 4 winning graphics award over crysis is insult

Crysis on consoles wasn't anything special. On PC it was but these graphical picks don't include pc games.