By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo fires back at critics who say they rehash their games

badgenome said:
Nsanity said:

Without ongoing innovation, even Mario and Pokémon would have lost their popularity long before.

That's like saying, "Without ongoing innovation, even crack would have lost its popularity."

Clearly you're not a crack connoseiur. Damned diletante.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
osed125 said:

Why people keep saying Nintendo rehashes their games!? Come on people how many time times have we seen:

Fire Emblem (13 games, two of which are remakes)
Star Fox (6 games, including one remake and one spinoff)
Golden Sun (3 games)
F-Zero (6 games)
Earthbound (3 games)
Kid Icarus (3 games)
Pikmin (soon to be 3 games, with two of them being rereleased)
Metroid (more than 10 games, including spinoffs, remakes and rereleases)
Zelda (same as Metroid, only that the actual count is even higher)

Just to name a few. Sure I want Nintendo to make new IP's but the only character they rehash is Mario (and Pokemon), so everyone should stop this BS...

Throwing in Fire Emblem, Star Fox, F-Zero, Metroid and Zelda just reeks of desperation on your part.

I definitely put that the wrong way, I was referring more to the time between each game in the franchise. Like the main Zelda games which releases every 3-4 years (with some exceptions), and it's been 7 years since the last Star Fox (not counting the 3DS one of course) or F-Zero which have been 8 years since GX and GP legends.

Nintendo and PC gamer

FACT: IF SOMEBODY HADN'T PLAYED A NINTENDO SYSTEM SINCE THE N64, YOU'D ALREADY OR WOULD HAD PLAYED EVERYTHING NINTENDO HAS MADE, EVEN AFTER THE WII-U....just my opinion!

Lyrikalstylez said:
FACT: IF SOMEBODY HADN'T BOUGHT A NINTENDO SYSTEM SINCE THE N64, YOU'D ALREADY OR WILL HAD PLAYED EVERYTHING NINTENDO HAS MADE EVEN AFTER THE WII-U :FACT

FACT: LYRIKALSTYLEZ HAS NO UNDERSTANDING OF WHAT THE WORD "FACT" MEANS AND HE IS UNABLE TO UNDERSTAND WHAT "CAPS LOCK" MEANS BUT HE REALLY LIKES THE LITTLE GREEN LIGHT ON HIS KEYBOARD.

RolStoppable said:
osed125 said:

I definitely put that the wrong way, I was referring more to the time between each game in the franchise. like the main Zelda games which releases every 3-4 years (with some exceptions), and it's been 7 years since the last Star Fox (not counting the 3DS one of course) or F-Zero which have been 8 years since GX and GP legends.

If we are talking about 3-4 years between releases, then Mario doesn't get rehashed either. Neither does Pokémon which is at generation V after 15 years. That's a new game every three years.

That's true, but Mario as a character gets rehash a lot (and some others of the Mushroom Kingdom), even though he's in different genres. I guess I thought of Pokemon because of all the fame outside of games, but yeah now that I think about it, Nintendo doesn't rehash Pokemon that much in terms of games (main ones only).

Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network
homer said:
Sub zero and riderz have a point. Mario is used way too often. I personally prefer Sony's method of making a mildly successful to unsuccessful series and releasing titles until said series is dead. That way, you are always kept on your toes and releasing new ips, which is what gamers truly want. The only downside is that after 20 years on the market when you want to make a cross over fighter, you realize you never nurtured any iconic characters or really any character that people will remember if you survive 20 more years.

Is that what gamers truly want? How many times has a game deviated too far from an established formula and been ridiculed by gamers. I myself have been guilty of this, so I'm not just throwing stones. Simply put, Nintendo's softwares sales show that's not what gamers want. Even on lowest selling consoles, N64 and Gamecube, Nintendo's titles sold a substantial number. Not only that, Nintendo games hold their original MSRP far longer than the competiton. How many times have we seen threads with "gamers" that think they are the majority complain about (insert Nintendo game title here) selling at full MSRP years after launch. Sony, MS, and just about every third party publisher wishes they had Nintendo's software sales.

Currently playing Black 2 and I can assure Mr Iwata it isn't even remotely innovative, yet it's still selling by the millions. Still greatly enjoying it though, but if he thinks its innovation that makes games like Mario Kart and Pokemon sell millions then he's horribly mistaken. It's just that the fans absolutely love the franchises. If they re-release Blue and Red again in 3D for the 3DS, i'd probably buy it along with millions of other people. It's kind of sad now that I think about it. You'll often find in the games industry it's not really the innovative games that push the units off shelves, but I wouldn't say this issue pertains exclusively to Nintendo games.

RolStoppable said:
Lyrikalstylez said:
FACT: IF SOMEBODY HADN'T BOUGHT A NINTENDO SYSTEM SINCE THE N64, YOU'D ALREADY OR WILL HAD PLAYED EVERYTHING NINTENDO HAS MADE EVEN AFTER THE WII-U :FACT

If you are willing to take the risk of getting moderated, then please put in some effort. Because this is so bad that I implore all Nintendo fans to not even bother to report your post.

He didn't put in enough effort to be worthy of moderation. Not when we've got folks out there busting their asses to reach a higher level of trolling. We don't hand out moderations like candy.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

It's supply and demand. Nintendo puts out new iterations of its biggest franchises because there is huge demand for them. If you don't like the games that's fine but apparently the market can take the number of "rehashed" games Nintendo releases and even wants more of it.

Also, it's not like Nintendo wasn't developing new IP's. They are, these games just don't sell as well as Mario and Pokemon.

And to add one more thing: The percentage of "rehashed" games Microsoft and especially Sony release is ever increasing. Why is this? Because they are safe to develop and the market wants more of them. The only reason God of War (for instance) feels fresher than Mario is because... it is. I really want to see those same people complain about the next God of War, the next Forza, the next Call of Duty (yeah, some people complain about that one - because it sells so well and they can't take that), Assassins Creed, Mass Effect, Bioshock or Ratchet and Clank. One day these franchises will have just as long of a history as Mario - remember that when you complain about Nintendo's games.

If I like a franchise I want more of it. I want more Mario and Pokemon, more Bioshock, more God of War, Uncharted and Call of Duty. I don't want a new game every year but one game per generation (2D Mario) or bi-annual releases are fine as long as the quality stays high. That's because I'm a gamer. I can appreciate new and old franchises and when millions of people like a series I won't complain and tell the developers to stop making it. That's just insane and incredibly selfish.

riderz13371 said:
the_dengle said:
riderz13371 said:

"You're princess is in another castle!" isn't creative after the 50th time. Yeah I know all Mario games don't have that finding your princess thing or w.e but seriously come on. When are they gonna let Mario go. Theres been like over 200 games with him making appearances in them. 

What are you talking about? That's like suggesting that Disney should "let Mickey Mouse go" because he's appeared in so many cartoons. Maybe the Philadelphia Phillies should "let the Phanatic go" because he's appeared at thousands of Phillies games.

Are you comparing a sport mascots appearance in a sporting event in order to boost up the hype of the crowd to mario appearing in numerous video games?

You are the one telling a company to stop making something because it sells well... I heard the iPhone sells pretty well, too. Maybe we should drop Apple a message...? 

"So, I learned our products are selling well for prolonged periods of time? We definitely need to get rid of them."