By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo fires back at critics who say they rehash their games

I can't bloody believe I missed the party...

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!
Around the Network

the truth is, quality matters and nintendo knows howto do it. Mario galaxy, mario 3d land & pokemon white/black: Some people can only see those games as mario 29 and pokemon 73, but in all honesty, is there any other dev capable of making that many sequels and still get praise from gamers and reviewers alike?...

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

Darc Requiem said:
homer said:
Sub zero and riderz have a point. Mario is used way too often. I personally prefer Sony's method of making a mildly successful to unsuccessful series and releasing titles until said series is dead. That way, you are always kept on your toes and releasing new ips, which is what gamers truly want. The only downside is that after 20 years on the market when you want to make a cross over fighter, you realize you never nurtured any iconic characters or really any character that people will remember if you survive 20 more years.

Is that what gamers truly want? How many times has a game deviated too far from an established formula and been ridiculed by gamers. I myself have been guilty of this, so I'm not just throwing stones. Simply put, Nintendo's softwares sales show that's not what gamers want. Even on lowest selling consoles, N64 and Gamecube, Nintendo's titles sold a substantial number. Not only that, Nintendo games hold their original MSRP far longer than the competiton. How many times have we seen threads with "gamers" that think they are the majority complain about (insert Nintendo game title here) selling at full MSRP years after launch. Sony, MS, and just about every third party publisher wishes they had Nintendo's software sales.

I just think its funny how these same critics who ca Nintendo unoriginal for releasing games with similar titles - will praise every new first person shooter that is only slightly different from others released beforehand.

On the topic of New Super Mario Brothers 2 - I don't think the issue is so much that the game was unoriginal, there was actually quite a bit of new things in the game, but the problem remained that everything in the game is used over and over again. It was a repetitive game. Also they could have expanded on the coin rush mode so that users could at least record one record per cup, and also alter single player mode so coin scores on each level would be compared with those of online and streetpassed friends.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Nintendo does not rehash.
Nintendo improves
(not everytime to a succes, i know, but still :P)

Around the Network
homer said:
Sub zero and riderz have a point. Mario is used way too often. I personally prefer Sony's method of making a mildly successful to unsuccessful series and releasing titles until said series is dead. That way, you are always kept on your toes and releasing new ips, which is what gamers truly want. The only downside is that after 20 years on the market when you want to make a cross over fighter, you realize you never nurtured any iconic characters or really any character that people will remember if you survive 20 more years.

Great post! lol!

I still can't find that "Like"-button... anyone seen it??

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

I haven't played New Super Mario Bros. 2, so I can't speak to that.

To some extent, all developers are guilty of rehashing ideas and mechanics that worked well the first time around. There are some exceptions -- Jak II comes to mind -- but the majority of franchise games don't break with tradition.

I just can't see people blaming Nintendo for rehashing its ideas and producing lackluster games when many of the most recent first-party games are among the best-rated Nintendo games.

Donkey Kong Country Returns (2010) -- 87/100
Super Mario 3D Land (2011) -- 90/100
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (2011) -- 93/100

And that's 25-30 years after the first installment. That's pretty damn incredible.

"Nintendo is milking Mario to make easy money, don't support their lazy asses! Gosh, I can't wait for that FF X HD Remake. Make it happen, Square!"

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

What a shocker, Nintendo employee defending their cash cows. Who would have thought.

The only thing Mario games could/should change would be the art
i would like to see a different beautiful sprite made Mario, ala SPMario, but better executed and with traditional 2D plataformer mechanics