By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What dormant theme/genre etc. do you want to see return?

Tagged games:

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Andrespetmonkey said:

World War II is fascinating. It's the biggest and widest reaching conflict in human history, an event unimaginably catastrophic and terrifying, yet salutary. This of course makes it a valuable "resource" for creative minds, be it authors, directors, or in this case, game developers. As vast of a resource it is, it's almost impossible to deplete, and though we can and have at one stage reached fatigue, there are still hundreds, if not thousands, of untold stories.

It's been a while since we had awesome World War II games, and I'd love to see them return.

There are more videogames made about the World Wars and military that any other type of game. I am sure somewhere there has to be a list. As for the topic, I would say top down shooters and beat em ups.

There are plenty... but not in recent years. I'd be surprised if there was a single aaa WW2 game that released in the last few years

Around the Network
Andrespetmonkey said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Andrespetmonkey said:

World War II is fascinating. It's the biggest and widest reaching conflict in human history, an event unimaginably catastrophic and terrifying, yet salutary. This of course makes it a valuable "resource" for creative minds, be it authors, directors, or in this case, game developers. As vast of a resource it is, it's almost impossible to deplete, and though we can and have at one stage reached fatigue, there are still hundreds, if not thousands, of untold stories.

It's been a while since we had awesome World War II games, and I'd love to see them return.

There are more videogames made about the World Wars and military that any other type of game. I am sure somewhere there has to be a list. As for the topic, I would say top down shooters and beat em ups.

There are plenty... but not in recent years. I'd be surprised if there was a single aaa WW2 game that released in the last few years

We dont need anymore and the last to my knowledge was COD this gen and Battlefield 1943 on Xbox Live and PSN. Westerners are obsessed with shooting.

Boutros said:

High-quality with high budget (AAA) classic turn-based console JRPG.

Please.

Yes, I 100% agree, this genre was epic back in the days of SNES and PS1 and it hasn't seen as many entries as I'd like. Lost Odyssey was one of my favorite RPG's this gen. However I'm okay with non turn based, XenoBlade, Last Story, Tales of Vesperia, and Valkyria Chronicles were all awesome.

Theme (Place) - New/Interesting, Setting (New/Interesting)

I'd like to see RPG's go into setting which haven't been explored too much in the past. For example, Fallout is a great post apocolyptic game, but what about 150 years future into the future? I'd like to see a post apocolyptic game where nature reclaims trees. Maybe instead of a Nuclear war, have an abandoned city like The Last Of Us, but distant enough in the future so that many skyscrapers have collapsed, trees overgrow roads, and people live in renovated older style homes (Castles are more durable then skyscrapers because stone doesn't deteriorate as fast as concrete re-enforced with steel).

Basically I want to see games which have a deep and interesting story, like Chrono Trigger, or Lost Odyssey, but have a unique theme. Lost Odyssey had immortal people, Infinite Space is well....a space RPG (Have to play it still), Radiant History/Chrono Trigger had Time Travel, XenoBlade had an alternate universe with giant "gods." etc.

I'm tired of re-used themes in JRPGs, and I want a more traditional gameplay. FFXIII was terrible, it failed in both these aspects.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Turn-based JRPG's and multiplayer Beat em ups.

Epic RTS for consoles.

PS1 could not get enough of C&C Red alert retaliation.

Around the Network
Farsala said:
Epic RTS for consoles.

PS1 could not get enough of C&C Red alert retaliation.

The PS Move would work well with RTS.

Andrespetmonkey said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Andrespetmonkey said:

Most recent WWII game I remember is Sniper Elite V2, which probably isn't AAA. The next major one is probably Furious 4 from Gearbox.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

I'd propse something that was never really popular-

A 3rd-person Roguelike game, with the camera behind your character. Randomly-generated dungeons and RPG leveling system. Sounds like it would be an amazing game to me.......

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

classic Resident evil/Silent hill horror/survival, with fixed camera angles

Arcade like Beat 'em ups. I really miss games like Cadillacs and Dinosaurs.