By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Dark Knight Rises' Cinematographer Calls Avengers "Appalling"

Director Christopher Nolan's longtime cinematographer Wally Pfister, who shot the Dark Knight trilogy and won an Oscar for Inception, had some nasty words recently for The Dark Knight Rises' biggest comic book movie competitor this summer, Marvel's The Avengers.

In a chat with the Sarasota Herald Tribune, Pfister said, "What’s really important is storytelling. None of it matters if it doesn’t support the story. I thought The Avengers was an appalling film. They’d shoot from some odd angle and I’d think, why is the camera there? Oh, I see, because they spent half a million on the set and they have to show it off. It took me completely out of the movie. I was driven bonkers by that illogical form of storytelling.”

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/17/dark-knight-rises-cinematographer-calls-avengers-appalling
Well, we all know how Avengers was mostly a special effects movie, rather than a movie that has an actual story.

Around the Network

I just enjoyed it for the interaction between the stellar cast. A solid story would be preferrable but I'll take what I can get. Not like Inception was any Shawshank Redemption so...

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

The thing is only he will notice these "bad" camera angles because that's he's career, but to us the viewer won't care.

The difference is one of them is actually a superhero movie.

Wally is awesome he started doing semi softcore movies and now is making Hollywood biggest blockbusters.

Around the Network

Am I the only one that cannot find that quote in the original story??? http://arts.heraldtribune.com/2012-10-16/section/home/q-a-with-oscar-winning-cinematographer-wally-pfister/

If it was there, it was removed. Somebody made a mistake.

Never really noticed or cared much about the cinematography of The Avengers. I have watched the movie several times and, while I enjoy it, I still ask myself, "What the hell was Loki's plan!?" DKR may not need to throw stones, though. It has some serious issues of its own.

TDKR was perfect in my opinion.

To me Avengers, while better than the vast majority of other superhero movies from the past decade or so, was essentially the Transformers of superhero movies in that it was a special effects and explosions fest with hardly any real substance other than the witty interaction between characters halfway through the film.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

I thought it was common knowledge that Avengers was the Transformers of Super Hero movies?