By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - WRPGs versus JRPGs, or: My mis-adventures in KOTOR

Real WRPG, like Ultima 7, pen & paper D&D, Skyrim on PC with mods, Might and Magic, Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, etc >>>>> JRPG

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network

you should try dragon age origins next. Great game.

I tend to enjoy both types of RPG's, but I like the WRPG's better as the story telling is not nearly as convoluted. To be honest, gameplay in both genre's are subpar and that is to be expected. RPG's are all about story telling.

I thought KOTOR was quite a nice game but sadly the PC I had back then went apeshit when I came to a more open area so I stopped playing...Will try it again sometime for sure! Maybe.

If you don't mind the outdated graphics I'd recommend trying Baldur's Gate II. If you don't fall in love with that game then WRPG's just ain't for you.

noname2200 said:
Mr Khan said:

Early in the game, they would say something like "You still don't know a lot about Zalbaar, you should talk to him." So i would, and get through the conversation. Now, talking to him immediately after that would simply generate the same conversation, so i assumed the game would tell me when the next conversation was available, similar to how support convos of Fire Emblem or Heart to Hearts of Xenoblade worked, where there was a very clear system telling you how far you had advanced your conversations and whether or not a new convo was available.

It was about Korriban or so that i figured out the game was never going to tell me...

Oh, so these folks put their lives on hold and risk everything to help you, some no-name not-even-a-Jedi-yet stranger, and you don't even bother to swap notes with them after they've infiltrated a Sith training academy on your behalf, or discovered the ancient secret of the Wookie homeworld.

Nice.

They didn't help that much in the Sith academy...

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

The poor play mechanics of WRPGs (PC RPGs as I like to call them) has always been my major complaint with them. 95% of WRPGs have TERRIBLE battle systems and at least half of them can't even get navigation around the game world correct. It always baffled me how so many people could dismiss this aspect of these games and still consider them great. And don't get me started on the amount of bugs.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Around the Network
adriane23 said:
The poor play mechanics of WRPGs (PC RPGs as I like to call them) has always been my major complaint with them. 95% of WRPGs have TERRIBLE battle systems and at least half of them can't even get navigation around the game world correct. It always baffled me how so many people could dismiss this aspect of these games and still consider them great. And don't get me started on the amount of bugs.

This sums up my feelings.

adriane23 said:

interesting, I would say the same about JRPG's.  Especially if you compare recent JRPG's to recent WRPG's it would be the other way around.  

Well, to take two recent games: Fable2 vs Xenoblade. I enjoyed both very much, but Xenoblade is the better game - hands down. Fable is a lot of button smashing while XB have strategies you have to consider. Both is just as linear: you got your main story and you got your side quests (XB has way more and varied side quests). XB has better controllers and a fantastic setting. Fable's in HD and looks great, but most of the time I kinda forgot about the main story and went about buying houses and fucking ladies.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

DanneSandin said:
Well, to take two recent games: Fable2 vs Xenoblade. I enjoyed both very much, but Xenoblade is the better game - hands down. Fable is a lot of button smashing while XB have strategies you have to consider. Both is just as linear: you got your main story and you got your side quests (XB has way more and varied side quests). XB has better controllers and a fantastic setting. Fable's in HD and looks great, but most of the time I kinda forgot about the main story and went about buying houses and fucking ladies.

fable is kind of terrible comparison to make.  That franchise more than any other is guilty of incorporating just the bare bones RPG elements onto an action game.  I would classify the fable games as an action/adventure instead of an RPG.

gergroy said:
DanneSandin said:

fable is kind of terrible comparison to make.  That franchise more than any other is guilty of incorporating just the bare bones RPG elements onto an action game.  I would classify the fable games as an action/adventure instead of an RPG.

I'm sure you're right, but I haven't played enough of Dragon Age to make a fair comparision :P I'll get back to ya when I've played Skyrim :D I huess that would be interesting: comparing one of the best WRPG this gen to one of the best JRPG this gen.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.