By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony could have released a $300 PS4 that is about 4 times the power of the PS3 this holiday

Should Sony have released a "good enough" PS4 this holiday?

Yes. Marketshare is extre... 22 10.78%

Yes. Screw the 10-year pl... 20 9.80%

No. They made the right d... 86 42.16%

No. With the horrible lau... 67 32.84%

Other.(Leave comment) 8 3.92%

Total:203

Sony and MS can release the PS4 and 720 on holiday 2014 easily since WiiU will be competing against PS360 anyway.

Around the Network

I've only had my PS3 for 1.5 years old, so I have no need of next gen hardware for a while

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

Don't be silly. The WiiU is weaker than the PS3 for the same price. It's unpossible for PS4 to be 4x more powerful for the same price.

It's an interesting thing to ponder, I think the problem with this though is that Microsoft would likely release a system one year down the line that would outperform that system comfortably, which would likely damage Sony pretty badly with the hardcore gamer they go after.

It wouldn't be $300 though, you're talking probably more like $399.99.

drkohler said:
VGKing said:

They could. It probably wouldn't be profitable but it would make early Wii U adopters think twice. So why isn't Sony releasing a PS4 this holiday? THE 10-YEAR PLAN. Delaying the PS4 release until late 2013/early 2014 is the smartest move. It means a more powerful console that is future-proof.(Yes, power does matter as it opens up a lot of gameplay possibilites)

Anyway there is no need for a PS4 right now. PS3 is still selling well(especially in Europe) and there are lots of great 1st party games to look forward to. I also think that the Super Slim PS3 release means the PS4 is nowhere near release. Sony could very well wait until holiday 2014 at the latest. What it all comes down to is how the market reacts to the Wii U, and also Microsofts plans for the next Xbox.

Agree with me? Disagree? 

This has nothing to do at all with a "ten year plan" or a (minor) PS3 redesign. The next Playstation will be manufactured with 28nm parts (apparently AMD/ATI stuff if we are to believe the rumours). Go check the technical details about GF/Taiwan Inc and where they stand with their 28nm technology lines. There is a reason why these new PC graphic cards are still expensive, it is called yields and the yields are still way too low for low budget stuff.  The only way Sony could have started now woud have been going with Intel chips. The WiiU is tried and true 45nm stuff, probably with yields 90%. Don't expect the PS4 to be "four or five times as powerful as the WiiU" though. These are just pipe dreams.

I never said that. Although I think 4-5 times as powerful is possible if the console is released holiday 2014 at a loss.

Around the Network

PS4 needs to be a lot more than 4 PS3's duct-taped together.

Chandler said:
Since you are throwing the restriction of profitability out of the window, sure, they could do it easily. But I don't think it would make a lot of potential Wii U customers rethink their purchase. You should know this, but the first 5 million buy the console regardless of price, games or competition.

Kinda OT, but I believe that the "razor & blades" model will be Sony's demise. They are sitting on an audience that doesn't think it's a cool move from Sony to release a powerful console at an affordable price (read: heavy loss), they demand it. It's not a bullet point anymore, it's the bottom line. The r&b model barely works out for Sony now, but they recently have closed down some first party blades and next generation the third party blades could very well spread themselves thin on three consoles instead of only two.
Sony will need another revenue stream to keep this model going and I think they are already transitioning into a "pay for online" model. Right now Sony is throwing a lot of games at people to buy into PS+ and ideally when they announce that online play will be incorporated into PS+ the outcry will be pretty small because most people already have subscribed. So from their perspective the status quo wouldn't change at all with this move. But in 3 years people will be paying for online play on PS4 and the amount of free games will be drastically reduced.

Keep dreaming. Playstation Plus is and always will be, an optional premium service.
Basic online play is a huge selling point of the PS3 to this day, and it will give them an advantage going into next-gen. There is no "transition" into pay to play, if anything its the opposite with games like DC Universe Online and Dust 514. Both are free to download and play with microtransactions.

Fall 2013 is going to be interesting though, likely the first time Microsoft and Sony have launched consoles head-to-head directly. Gonna be a bloodbath I think.

I suspect MS will try to drown Sony out and go for the early knock out by outspending Sony on marketing and exclusive content.

gigaSheik said:
torok said:
gigaSheik said:
How many unprofitable systems can Sony handle? Theres no such 10 year plan delusion. Sony simply can not afford another bleeding console. They need to make money.

I think you're looking the situation by a wrong pont of view. MS hasn't made a sucessor for his console, only Ninty made it. And MS has a lot more money than Nintendo.

We only have a new console now because Wii is not selling well anymore and Nintendo had to anticipate next gen. Sony and MS will just enjoy another year of good sales for their cheaper consoles, made money with it and, when their sales fall, launch a new console (2013/2014).

The 10 year plan is not delusional, it's just a distortion of truth. PS3 will be supported by 10 years, just like PS2 or PS1. They still have a lot of new market in Latin America, Asia and Africa to sell it. Is just doesn't means that they won't release another console during that period.

Sorry man but is not like the Wii isnt selling well. It simply reached its saturation point and it is obviously in decline. The Wii was made to behave like that. Sell all you can in a few years, after all its cheap, make lots of money and release a new system right when your competition is starting to feel comfortable and force a reaction that might cost a few millions of dollars right when they don't want to. Your MS comment makes no sense. Just because they have more money it doesn't mean that their games division makes more money than Sony or Nintendo. Besides, any games division should operate on their own money. When you have to get money from other parts of the company to make up for loses is proof that something is wrong. The 10 year plan is a delusion. Many think that exactly in 2016 Sony will launch its new system. Which kinda made sense in 2005 or 2006 when every1 thought Sony would remain the videogames market king. Thats not what happended. We all know the PS2 had an installed base around 35% bigger than PS3 during the same period of time. Thats a drastic reduction and they are not making the same money they were doing. Factor in a not that succesful PSP and the complete (and expensive) Vita flop and you have a recipe for gigantic losses. As I said they can not afford another bleeding system. I'm surprised that, even after the PS3 lessons, they created Vita. Another system now would have meant Sony's byebye from the vg market.

You people still don't know what the 10-year plan is. It means the PS3 will be supported for 10 years. Only 4 more years to go. 
Obviously the PS4 will come out some time in the next 2 years. And Sony plans to support it for 10-years as well.

I'm sure Sony plans to support the PSP for 10 years as well. Only 2 more years to go in Japan and about 3 in America. Now, PSP is already pretty much dead everywhere except in japan, but I'm sure they will continue manufacturing them as long as there is demand. Who knows what they will do with the Vita. At the rate its selling, a 10 year plan seems absolutely ridiculous.

mysticwolf said:
I've only had my PS3 for 1.5 years old, so I have no need of next gen hardware for a while

You're a late adopter. A PS4 isn't targeted at people like you anyway.  There are people who have had their PS3 for 6 years.

Don't worry though. Once PS3 releases, there will still be plenty of games coming for PS3. Sony likes to support their consoles even after they launch a new one.