By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony could have released a $300 PS4 that is about 4 times the power of the PS3 this holiday

Should Sony have released a "good enough" PS4 this holiday?

Yes. Marketshare is extre... 22 10.78%

Yes. Screw the 10-year pl... 20 9.80%

No. They made the right d... 86 42.16%

No. With the horrible lau... 67 32.84%

Other.(Leave comment) 8 3.92%

Total:203
sperrico87 said:
PS4 needs to be a lot more than 4 PS3's duct-taped together.

Wii U was supposed to be a lot more than an HD Wii with a cheap iPad knockoff with buttons as a controller. We can't always get what we want.

I'd rather have a PS4 that focuses purely on power and performance instead of gimmicks.

Around the Network

It will be interesting to see when sony decides to launch the ps4, but I predict that it wont be before the holidays 2014.

Predictions for LT console sales:

PS4: 120M

XB1: 70M

WiiU: 14M

3DS: 60M

Vita: 13M

VGKing said:
sperrico87 said:

Wii U was supposed to be a lot more than an HD Wii with a cheap iPad knockoff with buttons as a controller. We can't always get what we want.

I'd rather have a PS4 that focuses purely on power and performance instead of gimmicks.

I don't see the where you get the ipad ripoff. The only thing I see that is similar with the ipad is the fact that there is a screen on the controller. Might aswell call computer screens television ripoffs lmao. 

On a serious note, the wii u gamepad is not a gimmick and can be used for a lot of usefull stuff unlike the motion controls (which was a gimmick) such as map on the gamepad, or quick weapon change, etc etc.

Predictions for LT console sales:

PS4: 120M

XB1: 70M

WiiU: 14M

3DS: 60M

Vita: 13M

4 times the power isn't enough for next gen console, 6 times the power or more of the ps3 is what the lowest end next gen console should be.

Sony is ok, they need to make sure they have a good launch next year if they launch at all.

VGKing said:
sperrico87 said:

It was?  Show me where Nintendo said it was going to be more than that lol.

Around the Network
VGKing said:
sperrico87 said:

Because the iPad was the first ever tablet...

/end sarcasm.

And the Wii U is also far more powerfull than the current Xbox and PS3 in terms of graphics rendering anyway, not to mention the extra plethora of new graphical techniques it can perform such as: Tessellation (Adds new geometry to otherwise simple models, great for adding real looking rocks on a flat ground!), Geometry Shaders, GPU accellerated Physics (More CPU time is free'd up for things like A.I or texture decompression), Improved hardware instancing (Lets multiple instances of similar meshes, such as armies, or grass or trees, to be rendered in a single draw massively improving performance.), improved Shadows, Improved Lighting, Improved Texture Compression, Better and cheaper Anti-Aliasing (For the love of god do the current consoles need this.), Improved Anisotropic filtering, Better Mip-mapping, Better occulusion culling... The list goes on.

Yes the hardware specs might only suggest a small improvement, but there is so much more under that hood that developers can/will take advantage of that the Playstation or the Xbox 360 could ever hope to achieve.

Regardless of how much power the next generation brings it will be fantastic at any rate.

If you look at the evolution of games, the more powerfull the console is the more expansive a game world can become as more detail can be rendered on screen at once, this has a massive gameplay improving effect, otherwise we would still be playing corridor shooters where you can't even see a sky but instead we now get massive expansive worlds like Skyrim and Grand Theft Auto.

Although I do own both a Playstation 3 and an Xbox 360, my platform of choice however is the infinitely superior PC, with improved consoles the console ports will be dramatically improved instead of the current crop of bad looking and limited games we have today. (With a couple of exceptions.)

The other factor is that with less powerfull hardware this jump, the hope that we won't get such massively long console cycle will hopefully come to an end which means more rapid improvements in games and hardware instead of this horrible stagnation of mediocrity.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

MS could have released a next gen xbox in holiday 2011.....when the 360 was just 6 years old.

Coulda woulda shoulda. You never know.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.