By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - ***TOP 25 MOVIES OF ALL TIME***

Since Smeags hosts a Top 50 games of all time annually, I thought I'd do the same.

RULES

Lists will close on 14th November

No movies listed that were released after 14th October 2012

List in descending order 25-1 with 1 being the best.

Each placing will be assigned with a point e.g 1 = 1point, 25 = 25 points. If a movie isnt listed it will receive 30 points.The movie with the lowest amount of points will obviously be number 1.

No trilogies placed under 1 number. e.g Lord Of The Rings Trilogy, Star Wars Prequel Trilogy.

Please do not list remakes in the same field as the original e.g Total Recall 1990/Total Recall 2012. Please list them as two seperate movies.

Go for gold.

Guess I'll get the ball rolling.

25. The Avengers

The third highest grossing movie is number 25. Mark Ruffalo and Robert Downey Jr are the stand outs and its nice to see the Hulk done justice.

24. The Return Of The King

The final movie of the lord of the rings epic finale, however this film's epilogue dragged on for to long which is the reason why I put it behind the others.

23. The Two Towers.

The Two Towers is awesome and the Helm's Deep battle scene is one of the coolest fighting scenes in a movie.

22. Fellowship Of The Ring

Still consider this one the best as its pacing is better than the other two.

21. Collateral

Tom Cruise may be a weirdo but hes a brilliant actor and its cool to see him as a bad guy and Jamie Foxx is especially good in this.

20. The Last Samurai

Im not usually a huge fan of Samurai type movies but I love this movie as it tells an epic tale.

19. Enemy Of The State

I cant count how many times ive watched this movie and it paints a good picture of how we dont have as much privacy as we think.

18. Deja Vu

Denzel Washington is one of my favourite actors if this had been a top 50 there would be more of his movies here. I love the story and the weird paradox and time travel elements.

17. Terminator

James Cameron's debut and the movie that launched Arnold Schwarzenegger into stardom although its effects have aged its story still immerses you in.

16. The Green Mile

One of the few movies that made me shed tears, watched it recently its even more saddening by the passing of Michael Duncan Clarke. Awesome movie and the acting is great.

15. Aliens

The only good alien movie imo. The characters are awesome in this and some of the dialog is hilerious Bill Paxton steals the show as Hudson and Sigourney Weaver cemented the first action heroine. As this movie also inspired Metroid my favourite game series it gets double points.

14. Batman Begins

The first of quite a few Christopher Nolan movies. Batman Begins started the reboot phase however I still think hes the only one to do it justice.

13. Fast Five

As all the Fast & Furious movies are average at best i thought five would be the same but hell no was I wrong. This is in a different league to the others and The Rock steals the show and is absolutely bad ass and the fight between the rock and vin diesel was one word....classic.

12. The Bank Job

Another Heist movie however this edges out Fast Five due to its story being well better and cause its based off a true story.

11. The Prestige

After this movie I started paying serious attention to Christopher Nolan. Brilliantly told story with so many twists and turns and Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale are great as two magicians who come to despise each other.

10. Taken

Its rare in the action genre for the main star to actually be a good actor. Liam Neeson is awesome in this, Im yet to see the sequel but Im unsure if will beat this cult classic.

09. Forrest Gump

Awesome movie, Tom Hanks is superb in this such a happy and sad tale and goes through American History, brilliantly crafted story.

08. Terminator 2: Judgment Day

Every way better than the first. Amazingly told story with a role that perfectly fit Arnold Schwarzenegger and also mind blowing effects that still hold up today.

07. The Departed.

The awesome crime drama based on infernal affairs with an ensemble of great characters who all bring there A game.

06. District 9

I wasnt expecting much when i went to watch this movie but was blown away. I liked the fact that for once it wasnt based in america. The effects were awesome and the story was told uniquely especially with the documentary segments.

05. Titanic

People hate on this movie so much just because its cool. When really theres no way it would of grossed 1.8 billion if so many people didnt like it. I love the movie even though im not a huge fan of love stories the way its intertwined with the boats sinking made me really care. James Cameron's best movie hands down and you can tell he put so much effort into crafting it.

04. The Dark Knight

WHY SO SERIOUS!!!! This movie is unbelievable mostly because of Heath Ledgers haunting performance as the Joker.  Some people view this as the best of the trilogy due to his performance however Im not of that group still set a new precedent for superhero movies.

03. The Dark Knight Rises

overshadowed partially due to the Aurora shootings, I believe this is the best of the Dark Knight trilogy partially because of the better told story. Although Bane is not quite as memorable as the Joker he is still awesome none the less and Hans Zimmer delivered one of my favourite movie scores ever. DESHI DESHI BASHA BASHA

02. Inception

This is by far one of the most original movies Ive seen in a while and the way its told its crazy. The context of a dream in a dream is hard to get your head around at first, however by the end the movie makes sense. Leonardo Dicaprio and the rest of the cast are brilliant.

01. The Shawshank Redemption

This movie is really a masterpiece and sends an empowering story of hope and you dont often see in movies a movie that tells a heartwarm story between two men is real touching.

Around the Network

"List in descending order 50-1 with 1 being the best."

I think you need to correct that.

Also, it will be really hard to make one, but I certainly will.

I like too many movies to narrow it down to a top 25.

I thought "The Avengers" broke the highest grossing film, unless you are adjusting for inflation, but I still think it had a fair lead.

Check out my video game music blog:

http://games-and-guitars.synergize.co/

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

He who hesitates is lost

The only reason I didnt want to make a top 50 thread is it would be a pain to calculate the scores! lol.

Around the Network
cloud1161 said:
I thought "The Avengers" broke the highest grossing film, unless you are adjusting for inflation, but I still think it had a fair lead.

Avengers is the third highest grossing film behind Titanic & Avatar  and thats unadjusted for inflation. The highest grossing film adjusted for inflation is Gone With The Wind.

cloud1161 said:

It had the highest grossing first week in America, not highest grossing movie overall.

Here are the figures for highest grossing movies unadjusted for inflation

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/

True Romance 25 times

Lol at this shitty list - this basically shows the average age of members here.
Ever heard of

- Vertigo, Psycho,  (and other Hitchcocks)
- Seven Samurai, Rashomon,  (and other Kurosawas)
- Citizen Kane
- Metropolis (and other Langs)
- (even the boring Bergmans)
- La Regle du jeu (and more of the Euopean classics you don't understand because they are not english spoken)

I'm sure we'll all agree that Back to the Future is the best ya?