By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Would you abort your unborn child if you know that he/she would be mentally retarded?

PDF said:

I would abort the woman for giving birth to a defective child. Obviously wasn't my genes.

Edit:  On a serious note, I would not.  I could not live with myself knowing I stopped another from living because of my own selfish interets.

Thank you! There is a serious lack of decency and character in this thread.  It's very disheartening.

Around the Network

It depends on the severity of the disorder. If s/he is too damaged to have a satisfying life, then yes.

During my wife's pregnancies for both of my boys, we were asked if we wanted the tests done to see if there were any "issues".

Both times the immediate answer from both of us, was no. We love our children regardless.

I did not post in the similar thread regarding if you child was homosexual; as a man who has always loved women (probably to a fault) it would be terribly hard for me to understand, but I'd find a way. Kids are a blessing, and my life would be immeasurably less without them.

I said no in the previous thread. But this time I'll say yes, depending on how early it can be discovered.
If it can be discovered before the brain has formed properly, I wouldn't even feel bad about it.
The previous thread was about something I don't consider a big deal at all, so why go through with the hurdle of an abortion. But in this case, it would have a life long negative impact, so I would do it without regret, provided the fetus hasn't shown mesurable brain activity yet.

I LOVE ICELAND!

sperrico87 said:
maverick40 said:

It depends on my financial situation to be honest. If me and my future wife have good jobs then it might be an option to keep the kid. Having a down syndrome kid is literally a life changer. Me or my wife would have to quit a job and look after the kid full time. Our standard of life would probably go down too.

It is a very tough decision.

OT: Most of ye are nerds who won't have kids anyways.

So the sanctity of life is based purely on money?  Unborn children are murdered without a second thought because you had unprotected sex purely for pleasure and it was too inconvenient to deal with the predictable outcome?  When did people become so completely immoral?  What is wrong with some people? 

It's not about being immoral. It's about how you view the mechanics of life and conciousness.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network

Why stop with abortion, if I have a kid that becomes crippled or retarded at any point in time I would like the option to end it. The same goes with me, or anyone else, if you are incapable of taking care of yourself then it is over. Dragging these incapable people around is a waste of resources. I can not bare the thought of all the animals, plants, and even other humans that are lost in an effort to keep these people living.

This is not inhumane, or a loss of morals. Keeping them around in the first place is only possible due to our desire to defy nature, and the technology of the 21st century. I see someone needing multiple major surgery's every year just to survive to be 20 - 25 years old, as even more disturbing than genetic mutation.

Moving on to the major cost of having people like this around is even more disgusting. It becomes even more heartbreaking when people have other perfectly healthy kids that end up missing out on so many things due to the attention always having to be focused on the sick child. Then beyond that, the burden stretches to the extended family, and eventually the tax payers. The sick, and the dying are a cancer to humanity, and will be our downfall, but that's just my opinion.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Hmm, the answer to this would have to be: Maybe.

It really depends on the specific disorder and the severity, if it's only "mild", then no, but it was a condition that would give a terrible life to the child, then maybe yes.

KBG29 said:
Why stop with abortion, if I have a kid that becomes crippled or retarded at any point in time I would like the option to end it. The same goes with me, or anyone else, if you are incapable of taking care of yourself then it is over. Dragging these incapable people around is a waste of resources. I can not bare the thought of all the animals, plants, and even other humans that are lost in an effort to keep these people living.

This is not inhumane, or a loss of morals. Keeping them around in the first place is only possible due to our desire to defy nature, and the technology of the 21st century. I see someone needing multiple major surgery's every year just to survive to be 20 - 25 years old, as even more disturbing than genetic mutation.

Moving on to the major cost of having people like this around is even more disgusting. It becomes even more heartbreaking when people have other perfectly healthy kids that end up missing out on so many things due to the attention always having to be focused on the sick child. Then beyond that, the burden stretches to the extended family, and eventually the tax payers. The sick, and the dying are a cancer to humanity, and will be our downfall, but that's just my opinion.

If I read that right, those thoughts are immoral to me. Nature is cruel and immoral, of course we should defy it, and we have sucessfully defied it since the invention of penicilin and mabye even earlier.

They are humans, they have conciousnesses. Destroying a working conciousness is unacceptable, because it can never be recovered. If they want to do it to themselves, fine. But are you actually implying we should ditch our sick and dying?

I LOVE ICELAND!

KungKras said:
KBG29 said:

If I read that right, those thoughts are immoral to me. Nature is cruel and immoral, of course we should defy it, and we have sucessfully defied it since the invention of penicilin and mabye even earlier.

They are humans, they have conciousnesses. Destroying a working conciousness is unacceptable, because it can never be recovered. If they want to do it to themselves, fine. But are you actually implying we should ditch our sick and dying?

That is exactly what I am saying. Sick and dying beings are a burden on society, humanity, and nature. They soak up resources, and give back very little if anything. They leave their families in debt, and drive up costs effectivly hurting everyone. We place much to great of a value on individual life, to the point of that we are damaging the majority to save the minority. It is not up to me who lives or dies, and I would never make that decision for another. However, I would cut all ties with anyone that is going to be a burden on the rest of my family. If someone else wants to take care of them they can have at it. 

That is were I stand, but of course there are no right awnsers, just our individual morals. 

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Two points I want to make here, guys:

A. If you spoke with the families of the mentally handicapped, would any of them say they'd rather have had their child killed and not given a chance?

B. If you spoke with the mentally handicapped, would any of them say they'd rather have been terminated while still in the womb instead of loved and cared for by their families, however imperfect they may be?

Just a final point about abortion in general... how many more people here on VGChartz would we be having these kinds of deep discussions with had 40 million + people not been killed in the womb before being given a chance to have a life?

Ask yourselves....if you were handicapped, would you rather have been cast aside as an inconvenience, or would you rather your parents took a chance and brought you into this world and took as good of care of you as they could?