By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - K/D Ratio Ruins multiplayer games

ethomaz said:

JayWood2010 said:

lololol Halo came out in 2001 and is what got XBL started.....So I'm not getting your point

Neither Halo is the first popular online shooter .

I know that, he was talking about consoles.  Online shooters were popular on PC before consoles.

Around the Network
JayWood2010 said:
iFlow said:
JayWood2010 said:
iFlow said:
JayWood2010 said:
VGKing said:
So you call campers "Call of Duty players"? That's ridiculous.
That's like calling all gamers fat slobs. It's a stereotype.

You're able to camp in ANY game. So why not call them Medal of Honor Warfighter noobs?

Because I have never noticed people so concerned with k/d until call of duty and killstreaks.  That was when I started noticing people camping corners instead of playing objectives.  Some games like Uncharted even take the K/D stat out now because people acts like it's the only thing that matters.  It takes the fun out of it competively

Really? Camping didn't evolve with CoD, its been in every shooter game even before Call of Duty. Counterstike is one example. Battlefield is another example of a game that had camping before Call of Duty even released an game that supported online. The only reason why people assume camping came from CoD is online multiplayer was only a PC thing before Xbox Live proved that consoles could do the same. Call of Duty 4 was the first popular online console shooter.

Counterstrike is a camp fest but at the same time the better player will win.  If you suck and camp you will still die.  And Call of Duty 4 was not the first popular online shooter.  Halo was.  Gears of War also came out before call of Duty 4.  

CoD 4 sold better than Gears one. Halo CE and Halo 2 wasn't as nearly as popular as CoD 4. Look at the sales man!

lololol Halo came out in 2001 and is what got XBL started.....So I'm not getting your point

Look at Halo CE sales. Then compare those sales to CoD4. Cod4 was way more popular, largely because its on both PSN and XBL whereas Halo CE was only XBL

JayWood2010 said:
ethomaz said:

JayWood2010 said:

Neither Halo is the first popular online shooter .

I know that, he was talking about consoles.  Online shooters were popular on PC before consoles.

Which further proves my point. Camping didn't come from CoD nor should people assume that CoD produced more campers.

I couldn't agree with you more. Iv'e played BFBC2, and I loved that game to bits just like I loved halo 3. BFBC2 (Battlefield Bad Company 2) only showed the scored and NOTHING ELSE on the score board.

But then when BF3 (Battlefield 3) came, it was all about the the kills. It was nothing about winning, just kills. As a veteran Battlefield series player, I think im eligible to say that the play style of people in BFBC2 and BF3 are different. Less objective based and more about taking care of yourself.

Yay!!!

Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
I couldn't agree with you more. Iv'e played BFBC2, and I loved that game to bits just like I loved halo 3. BFBC2 (Battlefield Bad Company 2) only showed the scored and NOTHING ELSE on the score board.

But then when BF3 (Battlefield 3) came, it was all about the the kills. It was nothing about winning, just kills. As a veteran Battlefield series player, I think im eligible to say that the play style of people in BFBC2 and BF3 are different. Less objective based and more about taking care of yourself.

Man, is that true that BC2 didn't show the K/D on the scoreboard? Wow, that's awesome. I loved that  game, back then I was on PC.

Or it's the other way around, it's sad they added K/D on the scoreboard of BF3 since I had the same feeling that less players play for the win now, alhough I blamed that on the console player stupidity.

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:

It is all to do with damage/health.

In a lot of old FPS games there was pretty high health, if you tried to camp then when people came into view they could usually run and find cover before dying, as such to be good you needing a good aim and needed be mobile at same to try avoid the other players fire, as well as keep them in your sights.

In most modern games, especially post-COD4 the amount of damage you do has rocketed, now you can sit and camp and as soon as someone in your sights spray a few bullets and get a near instant kill.  In most old shooters a sniper only killed with a headshot also, in many now they have snipers with a 1 hit bodyshot kill.   Gone are the days when melee/knifing took skills also, used to need be sneaky, switch to knife and aim a knife slash at a head for a insatnt kill, now people just sprint about, press a button and a knife comes from nowhere, usually with a little lock-on and/or lunge, and insta kill.

BFBC2 still had quite high health, BF3 does not.   A lot of games also boosted points for kills, I remember in old games you'd get like 1 point for a kill but 10 points for objective stuff.  Now in the time you cap a flag you can get 2-3 times that score by camping for kills.

I freaking hate that. All those insta kills that make you go like "WTF happened?".

COD is the main offender. It's all about twitch and camp and I don't like neither.

Traditionally people praise twitch shooters (Quake, Unreal Tournament) but I don't like it. It's not realistic. Real life combat is not just about fast reflexes, it's not about those 200ms of human reaction time that decides who pulls the trigger fastest.

I like Battlefield because it tries to simulate real combat tactics, where things like taking cover, using suppressive fire and using crossfire work to some extent.

In Battlefield 3, even if they decreased health like you say, when you get hit you actually often can turn back and run and survive.

M.U.G.E.N said:
ethomaz said:
One question... in real life do you fisrt focus or the team life?

Sorry but you have to stay alive first (more kills less deaths) and then start helping your team.

Your first and main goal in any game is not dying ... the rest is secondary.

Well I see your point but I see his as well. For example in TO modes..if you keep focusing staying alive you will not win the game. I for example (in UC3 MP) just jump into the middle of enemy team who is capturing an area...just to stall them for at least a few seconds because those few seconds could determine the winner or loser of the match

Haha, exactly. I do this too with a grenade in my hand. I'm a suicide bomber by nature.

iFlow said:
JayWood2010 said:
iFlow said:
JayWood2010 said:
iFlow said:
JayWood2010 said:
VGKing said:

You're able to camp in ANY game. So why not call them Medal of Honor Warfighter noobs?

Because I have never noticed people so concerned with k/d until call of duty and killstreaks.  That was when I started noticing people camping corners instead of playing objectives.  Some games like Uncharted even take the K/D stat out now because people acts like it's the only thing that matters.  It takes the fun out of it competively

Really? Camping didn't evolve with CoD, its been in every shooter game even before Call of Duty. Counterstike is one example. Battlefield is another example of a game that had camping before Call of Duty even released an game that supported online. The only reason why people assume camping came from CoD is online multiplayer was only a PC thing before Xbox Live proved that consoles could do the same. Call of Duty 4 was the first popular online console shooter.

Counterstrike is a camp fest but at the same time the better player will win.  If you suck and camp you will still die.  And Call of Duty 4 was not the first popular online shooter.  Halo was.  Gears of War also came out before call of Duty 4.  

CoD 4 sold better than Gears one. Halo CE and Halo 2 wasn't as nearly as popular as CoD 4. Look at the sales man!

Look at Halo CE sales. Then compare those sales to CoD4. Cod4 was way more popular, largely because its on both PSN and XBL whereas Halo CE was only XBL

What is your point here?  Halo 3 was more poular than CoD4 on xbox, and now CoD is more popular than halo.  What does any of this have to do with anything? The only point I was making is that camping never worked in games like halo because it's based off of skill unlike cod where it is who ever sees who first

KylieDog said:
Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:

It is all to do with damage/health.

In a lot of old FPS games there was pretty high health, if you tried to camp then when people came into view they could usually run and find cover before dying, as such to be good you needing a good aim and needed be mobile at same to try avoid the other players fire, as well as keep them in your sights.

In most modern games, especially post-COD4 the amount of damage you do has rocketed, now you can sit and camp and as soon as someone in your sights spray a few bullets and get a near instant kill.  In most old shooters a sniper only killed with a headshot also, in many now they have snipers with a 1 hit bodyshot kill.   Gone are the days when melee/knifing took skills also, used to need be sneaky, switch to knife and aim a knife slash at a head for a insatnt kill, now people just sprint about, press a button and a knife comes from nowhere, usually with a little lock-on and/or lunge, and insta kill.

BFBC2 still had quite high health, BF3 does not.   A lot of games also boosted points for kills, I remember in old games you'd get like 1 point for a kill but 10 points for objective stuff.  Now in the time you cap a flag you can get 2-3 times that score by camping for kills.

That's a really good point about the health.  I dont mind the low health as that is more realistic, but they should try to promote teamwork.  For example if you are standing still for so long maybe show up on everybody's radars.  Probably wouldnt work but Id like to see the industry put some effort forth in getting rid of camping in team based games

JayWood2010 said:
iFlow said:
JayWood2010 said:
iFlow said:
JayWood2010 said:
iFlow said:
JayWood2010 said:
VGKing said:

What is your point here?  Halo 3 was more poular than CoD4 on xbox, and now CoD is more popular than halo.  What does any of this have to do with anything? The only point I was making is that camping never worked in games like halo because it's based off of skill unlike cod where it is who ever sees who first

I don't even know anymore, lol.

I've seen my fair share of halo players that camped for power weapons and vehicles, they had zero skill.