By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Who won the debate? Biden or Ryan?

Who won the debate?

Vice President Joe Biden 218 52.03%

Congressman Paul Ryan 123 29.36%

Nobody/Tie 73 17.42%

Total:414

If Biden faced Romney, it would be like Thunderdome.

Around the Network
richardhutnik said:
sperrico87 said:
Both held their own very well. There wasn't a clear winner like last week's debate with Obama and Romney. Biden interrupted a lot, smirked and laughed a lot, and was generally rude and not respectful. Whether or not you like that style of debating will likely decide for you who "won". On substance, they seemed pretty even. Biden delivered a very good show for the left's base. Ryan delivered a good show for the right's base, even if it was a tad on the moderate side of things.

The only part of the debate I really had a hard time with was the abortion segment. Why didn't Ryan make it clearer that there isn't much Romney could as President to limit abortion? He could do very little, other than Supreme Court nominees and over-turning that international funding that can be used for abortion. Ryan could have made his party's point much clearer I thought. It's not like if Romney is elected all the sudden women are going to have more difficulty getting abortions. That's not the case at all.

If Romney or Ryan come out and say there isn't much they can do about abortion, they are going to lose the socially conservative base that is pro-life.  They are invested in the GOP, because the GOP panders to them with promises of ending abortion.  Say they can't do anything about it and they will lose the base.  If you end up mentioning the Supreme Court resolving things, then you make the Suprepe Court an even larger political issue.

And on the abortion issue, there is a degree of irony that those who are pro-choice and those who say they are pro-life (but want to gut welfare) end up crying out about "meanness" and "compassion".

I disagree. You base your argument on the assumption that without welfare people would be starving to death and dying in the streets, therefore in order to be "compassionate" you must support welfare.  Well, that's not actually true, because most of the compassionate types who are pro-life give generously to charity and in many other ways support the sick and the needy both directly and indirectly by tything to their Church and being active in the community.

I resist any accusation that says "those who are pro-life are hyprocrites because they don't care about poor people" or other poorly formed arguments.  They are entirely false and based on false assumptions about what true compassion really is.  For instance, if you were truly compassionate, you would resist welfare because it incentivises people to not work and to take instead of give.

Biden definitely won this time around.

I think biden won. But what does a vice president actually do. Like what power do they have and what decisions can they make. Im not fully knowledgeable with american politics.

yum123 said:
I think biden won. But what does a vice president actually do. Like what power do they have and what decisions can they make. Im not fully knowledgeable with american politics.

they lead the senate.  Essentially they just act as a tie breaker.  That is also ignoring the fact that if anything happens to the president, then they become president.  

basically, they are like the alternate cast in the play.  If anything happens to the lead, the alternate fills in.  

Around the Network
gergroy said:
yum123 said:

they lead the senate.  Essentially they just act as a tie breaker.  That is also ignoring the fact that if anything happens to the president, then they become president.  

basically, they are like the alternate cast in the play.  If anything happens to the lead, the alternate fills in.  

I get that much but like in terms on normal activity like today does jo biden literally just act sort of liek an employee for obama kind of like a sales and marketing man. obama makes all the desicions and the vice president just promotes and supports them.

yum123 said:
gergroy said:
yum123 said:

I get that much but like in terms on normal activity like today does jo biden literally just act sort of liek an employee for obama kind of like a sales and marketing man. obama makes all the desicions and the vice president just promotes and supports them.

that really depends on whoever is president.  For Obama, I think Biden mostly just acts as a adviser, giving him advice and what not.  For Bush, Cheney practically ran the show.  There is nothing spelled out in the job description of vice president that mandates they have to do anything other than cast a tie breaking vote or fill in for the president in the event he isn't capable.  However, presidents are free to use their vice presidents in a manner that fits their style of governing. 

sperrico87 said:
richardhutnik said:
sperrico87 said:
Both held their own very well. There wasn't a clear winner like last week's debate with Obama and Romney. Biden interrupted a lot, smirked and laughed a lot, and was generally rude and not respectful. Whether or not you like that style of debating will likely decide for you who "won". On substance, they seemed pretty even. Biden delivered a very good show for the left's base. Ryan delivered a good show for the right's base, even if it was a tad on the moderate side of things.

The only part of the debate I really had a hard time with was the abortion segment. Why didn't Ryan make it clearer that there isn't much Romney could as President to limit abortion? He could do very little, other than Supreme Court nominees and over-turning that international funding that can be used for abortion. Ryan could have made his party's point much clearer I thought. It's not like if Romney is elected all the sudden women are going to have more difficulty getting abortions. That's not the case at all.

If Romney or Ryan come out and say there isn't much they can do about abortion, they are going to lose the socially conservative base that is pro-life.  They are invested in the GOP, because the GOP panders to them with promises of ending abortion.  Say they can't do anything about it and they will lose the base.  If you end up mentioning the Supreme Court resolving things, then you make the Suprepe Court an even larger political issue.

And on the abortion issue, there is a degree of irony that those who are pro-choice and those who say they are pro-life (but want to gut welfare) end up crying out about "meanness" and "compassion".

I disagree. You base your argument on the assumption that without welfare people would be starving to death and dying in the streets, therefore in order to be "compassionate" you must support welfare.  Well, that's not actually true, because most of the compassionate types who are pro-life give generously to charity and in many other ways support the sick and the needy both directly and indirectly by tything to their Church and being active in the community.

I resist any accusation that says "those who are pro-life are hyprocrites because they don't care about poor people" or other poorly formed arguments.  They are entirely false and based on false assumptions about what true compassion really is.  For instance, if you were truly compassionate, you would resist welfare because it incentivises people to not work and to take instead of give.

Unless you can show poverty levels would be on par, or less, than they are now by gutting welfare, you are advocating a position that would result in more people dying and shortening of life.   You can at least show cases where those doing charity work to help the poor advocate cutting welfare, and believe that doing such will make their job easier, and reduce poverty.

Here are examples of individuals who have connection to doing welfare and their take on cutting welfare to the poor...

Catholic Church speaks out against it: http://www.indcatholicnews.com/news.php?viewStory=21197

Protestant churches oppose cuts to welfare: http://articles.courant.com/1995-03-10/news/9503100370_1_welfare-cuts-real-welfare-reform-mainline-protestant-denominations

President of Catholic Charites speaks out against eliminating welfare: http://salt.claretianpubs.org/issues/welfare/kammer.html

Now that is some on my end.  Now, either you show facts that it would work, or quote those who are in the business of helping the poor, that they support gutting welfare, or abolishing it.  If you can't, then you can't show that someone is pro-life.

In a nutshell here, your priority is not the sanctity of life, if you advocate gutting a current system that helps people and cannot speak of another alternative to replace it.  You may have a priority of freedom or rewarding the successful, but it isn't life.  Thus, do not bring up mercy and compassion as values, because they aren't there.

yum123 said:
gergroy said:
yum123 said:

It depends on the President.   Joe Biden does basically nothing.

Dick Cheney on the otherhand was a HUGE part of the administration working like a true 2nd in command.

Vice Presidents essentially are people who can be designated any number of duties the President wants and put in charge of various things.

They rarely are however because usually vice presidents are chosen for image and demographics reasons to balance out the candidate and usually are pretty politically far apart within their own parties

Question... if Biden won then why are the Republicans gaining ground in every electoral map I see. I was going to make a thread about this but I didn't see the point.