By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 'That isn't Kevin Butler', Bridgestone claims

Kynes said:
deskpro2k3 said:
Kynes said:
deskpro2k3 said:

I have to agree with Turkish here.
You may hate me and disagree all you like but this is how I see it.

Take this into consideration. I'll explain it as simple as possible. A well known coca-cola mascot wearing a nike logo is seen promoting a nike commercial that is also giving away free pepsi with every purchase.

For coca-cola that is like a low blow.

An actor is not a mascot. You can't trademark an actor.

Last time I checked a mascot is a representative symbol. He is an actor, and mascot.

Sony can't trademark his look and his acting style, it's absurd. Imagine the implications this would have for every actor that makes an ad.

there is nothing wrong with him acting in commercials. the only problem here is that it was with a wii, and everyone's first reaction was "that is kevin butler" and not jerry lambert. lol

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Around the Network
deskpro2k3 said:
Kynes said:
deskpro2k3 said:
Kynes said:
deskpro2k3 said:

Take this into consideration. I'll explain it as simple as possible. A well known coca-cola mascot wearing a nike logo is seen promoting a nike commercial that is also giving away free pepsi with every purchase.

Last time I checked a mascot is a representative symbol. He is an actor, and mascot.

Sony can't trademark his look and his acting style, it's absurd. Imagine the implications this would have for every actor that makes an ad.

there is nothing wrong with him acting in commercials. the only problem here is that it was with a wii, and everyone's first reaction was "that is kevin butler" and not jerry lambert. lol

So what, if there is not a non-compete clause, he can do whatever he wants. He's Jerry Lambert, not a mascot. If Sony wanted him outside ads, Sony should have paid him to keep an exclusivity contract in relation to videogames. They want him outside this type of ads, without paying him any dime.

Kynes said:
deskpro2k3 said:
Kynes said:
deskpro2k3 said:

No they cant. But they can trademark a character with that look, personality, and associated with video games. Once you put all three together which Bridgestone did there will be problems. It won't have any implications for every actor who makes an ad... Most ad actors are in one comercial, don't have a personality, and don't have a speaking role.

Max King of the Wild said:

No they cant. But they can trademark a character with that look, personality, and associated with video games. Once you put all three together which Bridgestone did there will be problems. It won't have any implications for every actor who makes an ad... Most ad actors are in one comercial, don't have a personality, and don't have a speaking role.

He's not just some ad actor smfh. He's a hollywood actor.

toadslayer72 said:
toadslayer72 said:
What I thinks makes Kevin Butler Kevin Butler is the way he acts. His sarcasm and whatnot (fwiw, I always liked the KB ads) is what made him funny to me. Now I didn't see the tire ad but I can't imagine he's doing the same shit. I don't think him holding a controller of any type is what stands out about his character, it's the things he says and the way he acts.

I wouldn't be surprised however if there are some kind of laws that help Sony out in this instance even though I think it's silly.

Excitedly, "One more lap!"

In reply to a question asked, "We're just testing out our new Wii that we got from Bridgestone's Game On promotion."

Goofly points to four tires on the wall.

Closing the commercial, "Alright first place!"

Yeah, like I said, I didn't see it but if it's as you say, I can see their point a little more.

Google search Bridgestone Kevin Butler Commercial. It should pop up. He is definatly being goofy in the commercial. But that's just the actors style at least in everything I can remmeber seeing him in. That's why I think they should have had him be the one to ask the question "Whats going on here" instead. They could have made it seem like he was feeling left out or so to make it fit the character a little better.

I tried earlier but couldn't find the actual video, just a bunch or articles about it. Found one Youtube video but it was removed. Oh well.

I LOVE paying for Xbox Live! I also love that my love for it pisses off so many people.

Around the Network
toadslayer72 said:
toadslayer72 said:
toadslayer72 said:
What I thinks makes Kevin Butler Kevin Butler is the way he acts. His sarcasm and whatnot (fwiw, I always liked the KB ads) is what made him funny to me. Now I didn't see the tire ad but I can't imagine he's doing the same shit. I don't think him holding a controller of any type is what stands out about his character, it's the things he says and the way he acts.

I wouldn't be surprised however if there are some kind of laws that help Sony out in this instance even though I think it's silly.

Excitedly, "One more lap!"

In reply to a question asked, "We're just testing out our new Wii that we got from Bridgestone's Game On promotion."

Goofly points to four tires on the wall.

Closing the commercial, "Alright first place!"

Yeah, like I said, I didn't see it but if it's as you say, I can see their point a little more.

Google search Bridgestone Kevin Butler Commercial. It should pop up. He is definatly being goofy in the commercial. But that's just the actors style at least in everything I can remmeber seeing him in. That's why I think they should have had him be the one to ask the question "Whats going on here" instead. They could have made it seem like he was feeling left out or so to make it fit the character a little better.

I tried earlier but couldn't find the actual video, just a bunch or articles about it. Found one Youtube video but it was removed. Oh well.

http://www.metatube.com/en/videos/151958/Bridgestone-commercial-Kevin-Butler-becomes-VP-of-Betrayal/

Heres the link. cant get it to embed

Somebody needs to tell Sony that actors are not actually the people they portray.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

kowenicki said:
deskpro2k3 said:
Kynes said:
deskpro2k3 said:
Kynes said:
deskpro2k3 said:

In your example you cited people who were still under contract.  He hasn't worked for Sony for 12 months. Is he to be barred from doing anything gaming related for the rest of his life. I tell you now that 12 months would already be seen as unreasonable by a court let alone his lifetime. 

his contract ended 3 days before this commercial aired. for sony suing lambert i think the problem is he made the comercial while still being contracted by sony. for bridgestone i think the problem comes from being similar characters

RolStoppable said:
If Sony's issue with this is that it harmed their brand and image, then they might as well sue themselves right afterwards for this lawsuit, because it's harming their image as well.

Exactly.

This case would have been a footnote at best let it be left alone. But now it's a:

VS