By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 'That isn't Kevin Butler', Bridgestone claims

toadslayer72 said:
What I thinks makes Kevin Butler Kevin Butler is the way he acts. His sarcasm and whatnot (fwiw, I always liked the KB ads) is what made him funny to me. Now I didn't see the tire ad but I can't imagine he's doing the same shit. I don't think him holding a controller of any type is what stands out about his character, it's the things he says and the way he acts.

I wouldn't be surprised however if there are some kind of laws that help Sony out in this instance even though I think it's silly.

Excitedly, "One more lap!"

In reply to a question asked, "We're just testing out our new Wii that we got from Bridgestone's Game On promotion."

Goofly points to four tires on the wall.

Closing the commercial, "Alright first place!"

Around the Network

It would be pretty funny if they did the commercial again and he was wearing a shit that said "I am NOT Kevin Butler". Or if they put some text on screen that said, Jerry Lambert, Bridgestone Engineer, the first time they showed him onscreen.

I LOVE paying for Xbox Live! I also love that my love for it pisses off so many people.

Poor Mr. Butler. Where is Phoenix Wright when you need him!?

deskpro2k3 said:

I have to agree with Turkish here.
You may hate me and disagree all you like but this is how I see it.

Take this into consideration. I'll explain it as simple as possible. A well known coca-cola mascot wearing a nike logo is seen promoting a nike commercial that is also giving away free pepsi with every purchase.

For coca-cola that is like a low blow.

An actor is not a mascot. You can't trademark an actor.

Max King of the Wild said:
toadslayer72 said:
What I thinks makes Kevin Butler Kevin Butler is the way he acts. His sarcasm and whatnot (fwiw, I always liked the KB ads) is what made him funny to me. Now I didn't see the tire ad but I can't imagine he's doing the same shit. I don't think him holding a controller of any type is what stands out about his character, it's the things he says and the way he acts.

I wouldn't be surprised however if there are some kind of laws that help Sony out in this instance even though I think it's silly.

In reply to a question asked, "We're just testing out our new Wii that we got from Bridgestone's Game On promotion."

Yeah, like I said, I didn't see it but if it's as you say, I can see their point a little more.

I LOVE paying for Xbox Live! I also love that my love for it pisses off so many people.

Around the Network

In the high-stakes world of forum console wars, it doesn't surprise me when individuals favor (sometimes to an extreme) one faceless, non-caring corporate entity over another. It is a little surprising when that extends to said faceless corporation over a living, breathing individual though; particularly when the discretion involved seems so...tertiary in nature.

Non-compete clauses are invalid in California state code I believe, making this an extremely interesting decision by Sony to file said claim in that state (if that is what they are trying to get them on). To be honest, I think the Sony claim here seems rather tenuous, so I wonder what they hope to accomplish by this.

toadslayer72 said:
Max King of the Wild said:
toadslayer72 said:

Yeah, like I said, I didn't see it but if it's as you say, I can see their point a little more.

Google search Bridgestone Kevin Butler Commercial. It should pop up. He is definatly being goofy in the commercial. But that's just the actors style at least in everything I can remmeber seeing him in. That's why I think they should have had him be the one to ask the question "Whats going on here" instead. They could have made it seem like he was feeling left out or so to make it fit the character a little better.

Kynes said:
deskpro2k3 said:

Take this into consideration. I'll explain it as simple as possible. A well known coca-cola mascot wearing a nike logo is seen promoting a nike commercial that is also giving away free pepsi with every purchase.

Last time I checked a mascot is a representative symbol. He is an actor, and mascot.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
deskpro2k3 said:
Kynes said:
deskpro2k3 said:

Last time I checked a mascot is a representative symbol. He is an actor, and mascot.

Sony can't trademark his look and his acting style, it's absurd. Imagine the implications this would have for every actor that makes an ad.

deskpro2k3 said:

Kevin Butler is faceless as an IP as far as we know. In other words they can choose any actor they want.