By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Last Remnant uses no FMV and has a better story/script than FFXIII

Tagged games:

One of the overlooked JRPG gems on 360

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
Galvanizer said:

It also has:

1. A world map
  2. More locations and they can all be revisited.
  3. More cities and they can all be revisited.
  4. More NPCs that have names, back stories and unique dialogue.
  5. Over 1,000 side-quests.
  6. Over 2,000 items.
  7. Over 100 unique party members.

It's a shame it never came to the PS3. It's a much better game than both FFXIII and FFXIII-2 combined, IMO.

It also has better gameplay/combat system than FFXIII and a better soundtrack in my opinion... and I like the characters in The Last Remnant better than FFXIII's. I have no idea what the Xbox 360 version is like but I heard it's way easier, you can get overpowered if you know how to, it has less content and some technical problems... I think you can also have only 1 leader per union or something like that so you have to recruit people to join you.

How is using no FMV's something good? I think they're a plus :P

A banner stolen from some site xD

Release Final Fantasy Versus XIII nowwwwwwwwww!!! lol :P

I didn't knew it was on PC...

*Flies away to Steam*

I played the demo a while ago but it was a bit weird since it put you in the middle of the story. I think I did not had a clue at how the battle system works, and I had no Xbox controller at that time and the controls where not really remappable...

Is the Last remnant worth it ? (pc version)

saying the game has a better story than FF13 isnt. I can name a couple of Jrpgs that have a better story this gen. TWENY, Xenoblade, M&L: BiS, Crisis Core, hell just throw a damn dart and you'll hit a better game in general. Hell Atelier Totori was a better game than 13 IMHO, had more fun with it anyway

Around the Network
Galvanizer said:
Boutros said:
The gameplay is awful. No thanks.

I liked the gameplay more than FFXIII and FFXIII-2.

Well, I like the gameplay of FXIII way more than TLR.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Ajescent said:
13-2 was awesome, that is all I have to say! *Flee

I'm suprised alot of people on these forums are fans of FFXIII-2

I bought it recently for £10 and I was shocked by how much of a cash in it was.

-Horrible story,  horrible execution. The script was worse then FFXIII in my opinion, the writters really to work on the degree to which they repeat themself, also every line of dialouge Caius speaks is the cringeworthy. Pretty much all characters internal struggles and conveyed by them literally explaining to the auience all of their thoughts as if this was a kids Tv programme .The entire premise of the game was concieved purely so they could make this completely uneccessary sequel and it shows. There's no focus and it feels entirely like their making it up as they go along.

-It takes the somewhat interesting yet unexplored mythology of FFXIII and and confirms that theres no depth to it at all. EVerything is covered in such broad brush strokes, no aspect of the mythology is fleshed and so its not engaging at all. Also time travel is something which is hard for even the best writers to tackle. The team devloping this game made a complete mess of it, everything  thats happens can simply explained through "its the result of a paradox"

- Reuses almost all battle assets, literally no new moves. The time mechanic was also just an excuse to have fewer areas and simply change the weather of places you have already been and call that progression...

-I shocked to find that both Sarah and Noel have only one weapon model, latter weapons you buy are simply different in colour, which to me is a disgrace for the franchise and for any game released in 2012.

- pointless sidequests, which are never interesting and merely serve the purpose of artificially inflating the game. 

- The world as a whole is not convincing, despite the more open areas they still feel very much like stages as opposed to dynamic environments, although is the archylte steppe was the stand out for. The area felt alive and the landscape felt well put together unlike alot of the other areas. Although you now have the ability to jump, 95% of the things you should be able to jump over are still protected by invisible barriers.

-The game has the some of the worst NPC I've seen of any Big budget game this gen. I dare theres less than 8 different character models in total and its very -aparent when playing. They're animations and behaviour are about on par with the NPC froms FFX...

-Theres a complete disconnect between cutscenes and gameplay, and things which should be part of the seamless are instead mini cutscenes. Such as swinging from the vines in Sunleth waterscape, or operating any device. The later slows down the pace. The redeeming factors: the engine still for the most part looks great. The Battle systems still holds its own and they've added the much needed ability to switch characters during battle and the addition of monster collecting/training is brilliant and somewhat makes up for the lack of weapons and magic to discover. Noel and Sarah are suprisingly likable once everything sets in motion. I havn't completely the game yet  but I'm prett close to the end. Although the story is complete nonsense the pacing is such that its not too much of chore to sit through most of it.

Based on what I've played so far I'd give it a 6/10.

Will be buying this for the 360 before end of year.

I remember TLR. Back when VGChartz allowed any staff member to review games we had some guy (think his name had Smile in it or something similar) that kept saying he'd review it and give it the 9 (A- at the time) it deserved. Ended up that he never got around to it (thank god) and someone else ended up doing the review, but it ended up being one of our only reviews with a second opinion in the text.

Someday I'll have to try it for myself, but that's what I remember about that game.

I have only played a demo of TLR(PC version) so I can't say whether or not it is better than Final Fantasy XIII. I can definitely say Xenoblade Chronicles was much MUCH better both writing and gameplay-wise than FFXIII.