By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC v. Bridgestone Americas Inc

Smeags said:
Everything is going according to plan...

Nintendo: "To them, you're just a freak... like me. They [Sony] need you right now... but when they don't... they'll cast you out like a leper. You see, their morals, their code... it's a bad joke. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as investors allow them to be. I'll show you. When the stocks are down, these civilized people... they'll eat each other."

*Later*

What did you do?

Nintendo: "I took Sony's white knight and brought him down to our level. It wasn't hard. See... contracting, as you know, is like gravity... all it needs is a little push"

Around the Network
morenoingrato said:
Smeags said:
Everything is going according to plan...

Nintendo: "To them, you're just a freak... like me. They [Sony] need you right now... but when they don't... they'll cast you out like a leper. You see, their morals, their code... it's a bad joke. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as investors allow them to be. I'll show you. When the stocks are down, these civilized people... they'll eat each other."

*Later*

What did you do?

Nintendo: "I took Sony's white knight and brought him down to our level. It wasn't hard. See... contracting, as you know, is like gravity... all it needs is a little push"

Lol......

It only does suing. 

Times like these remind me why I don't like Sony as a company.

forevercloud3000 said:
The fact Jerry was in that commercial hurts the PS brand which he advertised as Kevin Butler. I am pretty sure Sony has clauses against this and Jerry should have known that from jump. Why would he even do a commercial that puts him at odds with his other job. Basically it is moonlighting for the enemy. He kinda deserves to get sued for this...but I hope they can come to a swift agreement and get him back into advertising Playstation.

Sony had already let him go before the commercial was ever filmed. The man has to make a living. It's unreasonable for them to terminate him and then still deny him work.

Kevin Butler commercials are fun and everything, but how effective they have been for Sony in NA ?

Sometimes I get the impression that those commercials are targeting people who already own a PS3, instead of trying to convince and bring new clients for Sony.

The recent layoffs in Sony Marketing and PR divisions actually give a good opportunity for them to rethink their strategy.

Around the Network
zumnupy10 said:
Kevin Butler commercials are fun and everything, but how effective they have been for Sony in NA ?

Sometimes I get the impression that those commercials are targeting people who already own a PS3, instead of trying to convince and bring new clients for Sony.

The recent layoffs in Sony Marketing and PR divisions actually give a good opportunity for them to rethink their strategy.

I know guys who only played Xbox or Nintendo consoles who still were excited whenever a Kevin Butler ad was on.

forevercloud3000 said:
The fact Jerry was in that commercial hurts the PS brand which he advertised as Kevin Butler. I am pretty sure Sony has clauses against this and Jerry should have known that from jump. Why would he even do a commercial that puts him at odds with his other job. Basically it is moonlighting for the enemy. He kinda deserves to get sued for this...but I hope they can come to a swift agreement and get him back into advertising Playstation.

That's mixing video game company fandom with real life.

Jerry Lambert believe it or not is a human being, and *shock horror* Kevin Butler isn't a real person!!!? Yes I know it's hard to believe, but he is actually just a character that is played by Jerry Lambert.

Kevin Butler doesn't own a house, he doesn't have bills and he doesn't go to work.

....Jerry Lambert however does but the problem is they look quite similar so I suppose it was easy to come to the conclusion you were watching Kevin Butler in that advert.

/Sarcastic condescending post.

fillet said:
forevercloud3000 said:

That's mixing video game company fandom with real life.

Jerry Lambert believe it or not is a human being, and *shock horror* Kevin Butler isn't a real person!!!? Yes I know it's hard to believe, but he is actually just a character that is played by Jerry Lambert.

Kevin Butler doesn't own a house, he doesn't have bills and he doesn't go to work.

....Jerry Lambert however does but the problem is they look quite similar so I suppose it was easy to come to the conclusion you were watching Kevin Butler in that advert.

/Sarcastic condescending post.

I think you fail to realize I am not talking about any fan resentment, rather the corperate level betrayal that this stipulates. The only reason Jerry Lambert was picked for that Bridgestone advertisement is purely due to his run as PS's mascot. Both Jerry and NIN both know this to be a slap in Sony's face in the advertisment world. There are no doubtedly going to be stipulations in Jerry's contract that strictly forbid this sort of thing. It is very similar to tv actors being put on tight leash of which stations or tv shows they can appear in, or music artist being told which labels they can colab with aswell as artists because some will run direct intereference with their other works.....this is just like that.

So the question still stands. Why the hell would Jerry go on to do a commercial for a Nintendo(or MS for that matter) product....using similar characterizations as his Kevin Butler moniker.....knowing that would undoubtedly be a breach of contract? This lawsuit was inevitable and kind of well deserved.

As another example... If I hire you to represent CocaCola.......I better not see you next week in a Pepsi commercial. You would be asking for it....

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Darc Requiem said:
forevercloud3000 said:

Sony had already let him go before the commercial was ever filmed. The man has to make a living. It's unreasonable for them to terminate him and then still deny him work.

I don't have all the facts on this situation but when/where did Sony "let him go"? From my understanding these things usually work on a timed contract basis where one will perform for "X" amount of months/years or however long it takes to make commercials. Nevertheless even after the initial obligations are done, I am pretty sure they almost always include clauses that stipulate you can't do similar work for a direct competitor.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Adinnieken said:
fillet said:
Adinnieken said:
There are actually two defendants, Wildcat Creek, Inc. and Bridgestone. The former is headed by Jerry Lambert who is the actor that portrays Kevin Butler.

So, "Kevin Butler" has been sued by Sony.

Wildcat Creek inc is the advertising company used by Bridgestone for the commerical.

http://www.corporationwiki.com/California/Sherman-Oaks/wildcat-creek-inc/44931717.aspx

Yeah I think that Jerry Lambert is the CEO of that company.