By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Would Religion Survive a Resurrection?

Well?

Yes 26 38.24%

No 27 39.71%

Maybe 7 10.29%

<--- Results button 8 11.76%

Total:68
sethnintendo said:
the2real4mafol said:
sethnintendo said:

The main religion that I wish would prevail would be that of the Native Americans. I believe their way of life and their connection with nature was the greatest of any race. That is the only religion I wish to succeed. Nature is god because nature can kill you at any time.  I also have respect for Buddhism and Taoism.  However, if I were to choose one way of thinking I would choose the Native American way of thinking.  You don't own the land you are merely borrowing it.

Yeah I agree, I like how they treat nature with the respect it deserves. It's a shame everyone couldn't be like that, the world would be a better place. If people belive a god is everywhere, then just respect everything around you. Our way of life right now, is just destructive and goes against Native American believes in every way.

Problem is that Christians should be nature lovers.  I used to be Christian and I was taught god was everywhere.  Also, that he created everything.  So nature is god according to Christian beliefs.  They don't always follow this practice though and having an eventual resurrection doesn't help in thinking about preserving this world.

Christians probably have done the most damage to the environment as well, as most American and European countries are mostly christian in one form or another and are the most economically developed countries in the world, not only that they have had a complete disregard for the environment while building a economy, even if people are not religious like before, attitudes to the environment in general need to change

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Around the Network
Soleron said:
The more interesting question I thought you were asking is: would any religion survive a resurrection of Jesus (as in, provably so). Assuming Jesus could make rulings on exactly how to be a Christian, would the "wrong" denominations with conflicting beliefs disappear? Would Islam disappear, given that it regards Jesus as A prophet but not THE prophet? Would unrelated religions disappear?

It's an interesting question. One thought is that essentially Jesus' coming was foretold the first time, and he didn't really get that many followers. One would have to wonder if he could do better a second time.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
Soleron said:
The more interesting question I thought you were asking is: would any religion survive a resurrection of Jesus (as in, provably so). Assuming Jesus could make rulings on exactly how to be a Christian, would the "wrong" denominations with conflicting beliefs disappear? Would Islam disappear, given that it regards Jesus as A prophet but not THE prophet? Would unrelated religions disappear?

It's an interesting question. One thought is that essentially Jesus' coming was foretold the first time, and he didn't really get that many followers. One would have to wonder if he could do better a second time.

The internet and mass media would help any evidence spread much faster than preaching to small groups of people as one travels.

I think the outcome would be that most religious people would keep their own beliefs or somehow use it to support their own faith. Atheists could be persuaded to believe that the event was taking place but the likely explanation would still be aliens with advanced abilities (possibly including universe creation) rather than a unique Creator of Earth.

Soleron said:

Not necessarily, because Muslims also believe that Jesus will return to the Earth. As for the other unrelated religions, I could see them losing a lot of ground/merit.

badgenome said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

(I mean, even if someone tried to spread some kind of new religion nowadays people would most likely call him crazy, or at least not start believing in whatever he is believing).

Why? Ever hear of L. Ron Hubbard? Shoko Asahara? Barack Obama [both pro- and anti-, and mainly anti-]? People are more gullible than you seem to think.

Religion will always be around because humans are as irrational as they are rational, and faith makes us happy. If you stomped out every religion, new ones would only arise to replace them. People will always find new receptacles for their faith, be it some new god, or the state, or "Science", or whatever.

+1 to everything Badgenome has said so far, but with a slight modification.

The question presupposses an atheist universe. In a theist universe then of course nothing can suppress religion or the innate human spiritual drive for spiriual sustenance.

So, assuming an atheist universe, yes probably organised religion per se would cease to exist and never come back, but the fundamental human need to identify with a group and support a cause would not disapper, so it would manifest in other ways.

Assuming a theist universe it's a idiotic notion to think people can suppress the will of God, so no, not even during the active suppression of religion would religion suffer from antyhing but a temporary slow down. Indeed throughout history every time religion has been actively suppressed it ends up having the opposite effect. All efforts at killing off early Christianity utterly failed. Same with Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, Baha'i etc. It's never worked.

@ Mr Khan: If it didn't happen the way the current day Christians believe it must happen then Jesus 2.0 would be wholly rejected by all of Christendom. Just as Jesus 1.0 was wholly rejected by the established religion of the day (i.e. the Jewish people at the time) because he didn't appear in the manner that establishment Judaism demanded he appear.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

I am so glad they don't teach any of that crap at my school, despite the religious belief's of my family as soon as I developed logical thinking I quickly became an athiest, this often leads to stalemate debates with other family members though.

But I will always be a religous fan of the Richmond Tigers :D

Religion is both a gift and a curse to society kind of like Alcohol.
Until the mystery of our how we were created is explained Religion will always exist and until science can explain things that defy the laws of physics e.g supernatural healing's it will continue.

Mr Khan said:
Soleron said:

What do you mean, 'do better' the second time?

Yay!!!

Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
Mr Khan said:
Soleron said:

What do you mean, 'do better' the second time?

Gain more followers among current Christendom than he was able to do amongst Roman-era Jewry.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

as Mormons exist I think this thread grossly overestimates human beings intelligence...