By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Would Religion Survive a Resurrection?

Well?

Yes 26 38.24%

No 27 39.71%

Maybe 7 10.29%

<--- Results button 8 11.76%

Total:68
RoryGamesFree said:
the2real4mafol said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

So am I. Hinduism, for example, contains lots of outright ridiculous gods that they worship, but that doesn't confirm that hindus are less intelligent than other people.

It's almost like saying a certain race is inferior to all the others, which is what nazis believe 

please do not compare people believing in a religion based on some junkie kids acid trip by choice to people being a colour skin at birth, that is disgusting.

I suggest you think about this: Most people born in the middle east end up being Muslim. Is it random that almost all people born in the middle east end up being Muslim while most people born in western societies tend to be Christian (compared to other religions)?

People fall prey to their environment. You can't possibly know that you would have ended up being non-religious if you were born in India instead of wherever you were born. In fact, it's rather foolish to assume that you wouldn't follow the same faith as the people around you. Especially in countries were religion plays a way greater role than in western countries.

Around the Network

humans are logical and spiritual, I think religions will always be part of humanity only the name of those religions will change

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

badgenome said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

Well, most western countries are becoming less religious as we speak. Those lost believers are not being replaced.

Are they losing faith altogether, or are they merely abandoning their traditional religion and putting their faith in other things? I think it's the latter. Organized atheists are some of the most religious people I've ever met, and for most of the people who shout the loudest about the need for separation between church and state, their church is the state.

IF there where all a clone of badgenome, then yes however no one would ever believe in it with the logic and facts they have learned. So a future of people that actually have some sort of recognition of facts and knowledge. I'm all for it.

I would think there would be groups that come together for good purpose's. Not sure if they would form a group or a so called religion with maybe a metaphor or moral concepts. However the religions barely ever have morality in there sights. It's usually pushing people around and telling them what to do. Saying there god is the one and only god and has granted them the power to speak for him or her, basically what most republicans do.

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
Fifaguy360 said:

We have to make an initial assumption first. Does God exist or not?

Yes(religion would survive) because (most?) religions believe in an all-powerful diety therefore the diety will not be part of the knowledge extinction. The diety would impart the knowledge of the religion back to a person(a prophet?) who he deemed worthy of taking on the task of preaching to the world.

This is just a repeat process of what is taught in scripture in the world's major religions.

Take Islam or Christianity for an example, where it started from 1 man and sprawled into two most dominant religions of the world.

If we were to say no religion wouldn't survive a ressurection, then this would be from the intial position of assuming an all-powerful diety with a plan for mankind doesn't exist.

But in that case you would make new assumptions. One being that this god actually care about its creations and is willing to interfere with how they live their lives, another being that making everyone lose their faith at one point wasn't part of this deity's plan all along; to test the potential faith of newer generations who are surrounded (or maybe distracted?) by high technology and more developed science based education. Another theory would be that the deity may have realized that the time has arrived where religious faith actually causes more harm than good, making the people more healthy by being non-religious. (<--- Or at least that's how a truly sympathetic and almighty deity should resonate, in my opinion.)

Still, the thread is supposed to assume that there is no god, given how the existence of gods is not backed up by science. But yeah, it's fun and interesting to play with the thought.

That's an interesting thing you said about making people non-religious makes them healthier. I don't want to digress the thread, but I do wonder if there is any merit to that. It's an interesting idea.

I do believe in the existence of God based on an argument using a mixture of science and logical (greek) reasoning.

Around the Network

Christianity in America is getting smaller but religion will always thrive in one form or another. I believe it would be more dangerous to get rid of God from society. Without God, then people will start worshiping man, and imaginary God who puts our heart in right direction is much better than a real person who will bring evil.
I know many here don't like Christianity, but I for one believe that the world would be so much worse without Christianity. Christianity brought meaning, purpose, fought evil and just made people better. I'm never afraid of young people just coming out of bible study at a church - no matter what they look like.
Couple of you actually think Native American style of life is best? That's gotta be a joke.
Christians have made mistakes, but overall, they have brought good.
Secularism definitely have brought more evil to the world.

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
badgenome said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

Console preferences =/= religious beliefs

Just so we are clear.

I'm not talking about merely holding a preference. I'm talking about hardcore brand loyalty as an outlet for people's natural religious enthusiasms. Ditto for political partisanship, activism, etc., where facts don't matter unless they reinforce one's preexisting belief. Just like religion.

I understand that, but I don't really see the connection.

I'm trying to figure out how. I'm definitely guilty of it and it's a pretty big 'Ka-boom' moment, imo.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

We are all familiar with how religion has been passed on for generations, spanning over thousands of years: That

Try spanning the last 420,000 years... That's the truth.

Religious parents inform their children about their faith (which is provably not backed up by science or logic, in most cases)

It's usually backed up by logic. And there's some very convincing scientific theories connected to religions. Did you know quantum physics theory comes from an ancient school of Hinduist philosophy?

and sometimes (if not mostly, globally speaking) even forces them to follow their lead. They are told that their belief is the only true belief and that all other beliefs are false. Nothing new here.

Most people are NOT told that their religion is the only true one worldwide. You'd be surprised how accepting the world is nowadays.

Now, what if we completely stopped this chain reaction for a moment?

Impossible.

We hide all writings containing religious lyrics and stories and make sure that no religious views are passed down to newer generations.

Impossible.

All schools in the entire world teaches nothing but scientific facts and theories, while all forms of belief based knowledge is completely disregarded.

They would have to disreguard a lot of belief based science that we use... It would ruin science to get rid of belief based theories.

At this point there may be some people who make up their own religion, but for many reasons all fail to gain significant ground. (I mean, even if someone tried to spread some kind of new religion nowadays people would most likely call him crazy, or at least not start believing in whatever he is believing).

I started multiple religions. I have many follewers. Many girls and boys have thought I was Jesus, Buddha, the antichrist, you name it. It is very easy to start and propagate a religion. Especially if you know basic social enginering and hypnosis teqniques. 

And then it happens: All the old religions are suddenly reintroduced to the world population. Schools throughout the world still won't teach any religion as fact, but their existence and details are acknowledged, and spread through the education system.

Sounds good.

So, the question is this: Do you think any religion would be able to regain its lost ground after this complete blackout, and if so, which?

All of them 

God, religion, is in the hearts minds souls and spirits of mankind. This thread is discussing something completely  impossible.

RoryGamesFree said:
the2real4mafol said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
the2real4mafol said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
RoryGamesFree said:
as Mormons exist I think this thread grossly overestimates human beings intelligence...

Uh... What? Are you suggesting that Mormons are less intelligent than other religious and non-religious people?

Source?

They have some stupid beliefs don't you think? For example, they believe women can't go to heaven (if there is one!) without permission from her husband, and if she goes to heaven, she is forever pregnant with spirit children! I suppose there are stupid believes with every religion but that is pretty stupid. Also, Mitt Romney who is a mormon (moron!) says stupid things all the time. Just like anything though, there are stupid and smart people, despite what Romney says, i'm sure there are smart mormons

So am I. Hinduism, for example, contains lots of outright ridiculous gods that they worship, but that doesn't confirm that hindus are less intelligent than other people.

It's almost like saying a certain race is inferior to all the others, which is what nazis believe 

please do not compare people believing in a religion based on some junkie kids acid trip by choice to people being a colour skin at birth, that is disgusting.

If you believe a race or religious group is inferior to yours, then you are a nazi. There believes were based on that master race rules all crap, it may be an extreme case of it, but that's how I see it. But some people belief they are a superior person just because they are white and christian, Mormon's belief that. Just look up some mormon beliefs on black people

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
RoryGamesFree said:
the2real4mafol said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

I suggest you think about this: Most people born in the middle east end up being Muslim. Is it random that almost all people born in the middle east end up being Muslim while most people born in western societies tend to be Christian (compared to other religions)?

People fall prey to their environment. You can't possibly know that you would have ended up being non-religious if you were born in India instead of wherever you were born. In fact, it's rather foolish to assume that you wouldn't follow the same faith as the people around you. Especially in countries were religion plays a way greater role than in western countries.

In those parts of the world, religion is key to the culture, far more than it is in the west now.

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018