By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Would Religion Survive a Resurrection?

Well?

Yes 26 38.24%

No 27 39.71%

Maybe 7 10.29%

<--- Results button 8 11.76%

Total:68
RoryGamesFree said:
as Mormons exist I think this thread grossly overestimates human beings intelligence...

Uh... What? Are you suggesting that Mormons are less intelligent than other religious and non-religious people?

Source?

Around the Network
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
RoryGamesFree said:
as Mormons exist I think this thread grossly overestimates human beings intelligence...

Uh... What? Are you suggesting that Mormons are less intelligent than other religious and non-religious people?

Source?

They have some stupid beliefs don't you think? For example, they believe women can't go to heaven (if there is one!) without permission from her husband, and if she goes to heaven, she is forever pregnant with spirit children! I suppose there are stupid believes with every religion but that is pretty stupid. Also, Mitt Romney who is a mormon (moron!) says stupid things all the time. Just like anything though, there are stupid and smart people, despite what Romney says, i'm sure there are smart mormons

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

the2real4mafol said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
RoryGamesFree said:

Source?

They have some stupid beliefs don't you think? For example, they believe women can't go to heaven (if there is one!) without permission from her husband, and if she goes to heaven, she is forever pregnant with spirit children! I suppose there are stupid believes with every religion but that is pretty stupid. Also, Mitt Romney who is a mormon (moron!) says stupid things all the time. Just like anything though, there are stupid and smart people, despite what Romney says, i'm sure there are smart mormons

So am I. Hinduism, for example, contains lots of outright ridiculous gods that they worship, but that doesn't confirm that hindus are less intelligent than other people.

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
the2real4mafol said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
RoryGamesFree said:

Source?

So am I. Hinduism, for example, contains lots of outright ridiculous gods that they worship, but that doesn't confirm that hindus are less intelligent than other people.

It's almost like saying a certain race is inferior to all the others, which is what nazis believe 

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
RoryGamesFree said:

Source?

it takes the flaws in all other religions and takes them so much further, has to be one of the dummest things ever.

Around the Network
the2real4mafol said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
the2real4mafol said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
RoryGamesFree said:

Source?

It's almost like saying a certain race is inferior to all the others, which is what nazis believe 

please do not compare people believing in a religion based on some junkie kids acid trip by choice to people being a colour skin at birth, that is disgusting.

I'm sure lots of people would believe in the religions if they were resurrected, but I bet it would be way less people than currently.

I think Islam would suffer the biggest hit. Because many people in North America/Europe have read the bible and believe it based on readings...but I feel like the majority of people in Islamic countries haven't even read the Quaran, but believe in Islam based on it being the only option in their country... and how there is no separation between church and state in places like the middle east.

That made sense in my head, but I'm not sure if you'll get what I mean.

We have to make an initial assumption first. Does God exist or not?

Yes(religion would survive) because (most?) religions believe in an all-powerful diety therefore the diety will not be part of the knowledge extinction. The diety would impart the knowledge of the religion back to a person(a prophet?) who he deemed worthy of taking on the task of preaching to the world.

This is just a repeat process of what is taught in scripture in the world's major religions.

Take Islam or Christianity for an example, where it started from 1 man and sprawled into two most dominant religions of the world.

If we were to say no religion wouldn't survive a ressurection, then this would be from the intial position of assuming an all-powerful diety with a plan for mankind doesn't exist.

Fifaguy360 said:

We have to make an initial assumption first. Does God exist or not?

Yes(religion would survive) because (most?) religions believe in an all-powerful diety therefore the diety will not be part of the knowledge extinction. The diety would impart the knowledge of the religion back to a person(a prophet?) who he deemed worthy of taking on the task of preaching to the world.

This is just a repeat process of what is taught in scripture in the world's major religions.

Take Islam or Christianity for an example, where it started from 1 man and sprawled into two most dominant religions of the world.

If we were to say no religion wouldn't survive a ressurection, then this would be from the intial position of assuming an all-powerful diety with a plan for mankind doesn't exist.

But in that case you would make new assumptions. One being that this god actually care about its creations and is willing to interfere with how they live their lives, another being that making everyone lose their faith at one point wasn't part of this deity's plan all along; to test the potential faith of newer generations who are surrounded (or maybe distracted?) by high technology and more developed science based education. Another theory would be that the deity may have realized that the time has arrived where religious faith actually causes more harm than good, making the people more healthy by being non-religious. (<--- Or at least that's how a truly sympathetic and almighty deity should resonate if that was the case, in my opinion.)

Still, the thread is supposed to assume that there is no god, given how the existence of gods is not backed up by science. But yeah, it's fun and interesting to play with the thought.

badgenome said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

(I mean, even if someone tried to spread some kind of new religion nowadays people would most likely call him crazy, or at least not start believing in whatever he is believing).

Why? Ever hear of L. Ron Hubbard? Shoko Asahara? Barack Obama? People are more gullible than you seem to think.

Religion will always be around because humans are as irrational as they are rational, and faith makes us happy. If you stomped out every religion, new ones would only arise to replace them. People will always find new receptacles for their faith, be it some new god, or the state, or "Science", or whatever.

My thoughts exactly, but I would add joesph smith and jim jones to that list.