By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Would Religion Survive a Resurrection?

Well?

Yes 26 38.24%

No 27 39.71%

Maybe 7 10.29%

<--- Results button 8 11.76%

Total:68
badgenome said:

I'm saying that, if you're interpreting the decline of Christianity in western society as an indicator that we've evolved past our need for religion, we clearly haven't. So, even if you were to successfully eradicate every existing religion, I don't see any reason why the old ones wouldn't eventually come back or new ones wouldn't arise in the post-oppression era.

I do think that you are too narrowly defining religion, but I don't think that hardcore fans are necessarily religious about their brand of choice. But if you were around here during the days of johnlucas and MikeB, you'd have seen that they certainly can be.

Well, humans are religious by nature, I don't deny that. The question is though if that nature would make religions relevant (as in actively affecting societies) in the future just like they do now, or if that religious part of us would step aside in favor of science and disbelief. I, for instance, am not religious, but I'm still religious by nature just like everybody else. If more people followed suit they would not believe in gods or supernatural beings either, but still maintain their religious nature (which, as you said, will be evident on other occasions).

So, the question in the OP is basically if people will show their religious nature by worshipping gods and such or if they will go on an alternative route, like every atheist have. After this resurrection.

Around the Network
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
badgenome said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

(I mean, even if someone tried to spread some kind of new religion nowadays people would most likely call him crazy, or at least not start believing in whatever he is believing).

Why? Ever hear of L. Ron Hubbard? Shoko Asahara? Barack Obama? People are more gullible than you seem to think.

Religion will always be around because humans are as irrational as they are rational, and faith makes us happy. If you stomped out every religion, new ones would only arise to replace them. People will always find new receptacles for their faith, be it some new god, or the state, or "Science", or whatever.

Well, most western countries are becoming less religious as we speak. Those lost believers are not being replaced.

They are being replaced.......Just not by Christians. In 50 to 75 years, Europe will be dominated by Islam. Not everyone will convert, and when you have one group of people that are vastly outgrowing the other, things change.

*edit*, also, organized religions are growing rather fast in Asia. If communism ever falls in China and North Korea, you'll likely see them turn Christian pretty quickly. Religion will always exist, even if you wish it weren't so.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

The main religion that I wish would prevail would be that of the Native Americans. I believe their way of life and their connection with nature was the greatest of any race. That is the only religion I wish to succeed. Nature is god because nature can kill you at any time.  I also have respect for Buddhism and Taoism.  However, if I were to choose one way of thinking I would choose the Native American way of thinking.  You don't own the land you are merely borrowing it.

Soleron said:
The more interesting question I thought you were asking is: would any religion survive a resurrection of Jesus (as in, provably so). Assuming Jesus could make rulings on exactly how to be a Christian, would the "wrong" denominations with conflicting beliefs disappear? Would Islam disappear, given that it regards Jesus as A prophet but not THE prophet? Would unrelated religions disappear?

Haha, yeah that's also an interesting scenario. And I'm pretty sure that nearly every religious person would need to see Jesus performing miracles in person before reconsidering their views. Video editting has come a long way, after all :P

Soleron said:
The more interesting question I thought you were asking is: would any religion survive a resurrection of Jesus (as in, provably so). Assuming Jesus could make rulings on exactly how to be a Christian, would the "wrong" denominations with conflicting beliefs disappear? Would Islam disappear, given that it regards Jesus as A prophet but not THE prophet? Would unrelated religions disappear?

Part of me says yes, they would disappear, because if this is the second coming, it's supposed to be the establishment of God's kingdom on Earth. Presumably He wouldn't suffer false religions, so those who weren't convinced would perish.

But if we are talking about merely the return of Christ the Teacher without a new, planet-wide regime, then I think not. At least not permanently. It's in our nature to be dissatisfied with whatever we have, and it would only be a matter of time before heresies arose again and in time turned into full-blown new religions. And it seems likely that many believers of other faiths would simply find some way to synergize this resurrection with their own existing faith without recognizing Christ as the Messiah.

Around the Network
Soleron said:

I actually responded to this thread at first thinking he was talking about the Christian resurrection.  I was like why do they view people rising from their graves as a good thing?  I would think they were zombies and go on a killing spree.  Who the fucks want to watch dead people walk around?  I don't but apparently Christians do.  Christians = zombie lovers

I think new religions will form, if this happened and they would become popular. While, some people might look into older religions and still practice them. But, overall there will less religious believers

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

sethnintendo said:

The main religion that I wish would prevail would be that of the Native Americans. I believe their way of life and their connection with nature was the greatest of any race. That is the only religion I wish to succeed. Nature is god because nature can kill you at any time.  I also have respect for Buddhism and Taoism.  However, if I were to choose one way of thinking I would choose the Native American way of thinking.  You don't own the land you are merely borrowing it.

Yeah I agree, I like how they treat nature with the respect it deserves. It's a shame everyone couldn't be like that, the world would be a better place. If people belive a god is everywhere, then just respect everything around you. Our way of life right now, is just destructive and goes against Native American believes in every way.

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

mrstickball said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

Well, most western countries are becoming less religious as we speak. Those lost believers are not being replaced.

They are being replaced.......Just not by Christians. In 50 to 75 years, Europe will be dominated by Islam. Not everyone will convert, and when you have one group of people that are vastly outgrowing the other, things change.

*edit*, also, organized religions are growing rather fast in Asia. If communism ever falls in China and North Korea, you'll likely see them turn Christian pretty quickly. Religion will always exist, even if you wish it weren't so.

That's an awful lot of assumptions. Yes, in 50 to 75 years Europe would be dominatedby Islam, though only if their numbers kept increasing at current rates. And then you are also assuming that none of those muslims will convert to Christianity or even lose their faith altogether. I, however, think it's logical to assume that they, once fully- or near fully integrated to the new society, will follow the Christians' footsteps. Nothing indicates otherwise.

And when did I indicate that I wish for religion to cease to exist? The fact that the number of religious persons is on a decline is just that: A fact. An interesting fact given the topic at hand.

the2real4mafol said:
sethnintendo said:

Yeah I agree, I like how they treat nature with the respect it deserves. It's a shame everyone couldn't be like that, the world would be a better place. If people belive a god is everywhere, then just respect everything around you. Our way of life right now, is just destructive and goes against Native American believes in every way.

Problem is that Christians should be nature lovers.  I used to be Christian and I was taught god was everywhere.  Also, that he created everything.  So nature is god according to Christian beliefs.  They don't always follow this practice though and having an eventual resurrection doesn't help in thinking about preserving this world.