By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Are you Pro-life or Pro-choice?

^^ I am pro-life and I would have a big problem with what you just said.

Around the Network

^ Do you support the invasion of Iraq?

Switch: SW-5066-1525-5130

XBL: GratuitousFREEK

Final-Fan said:
elprincipe said:
Final-Fan said:

[edit: Looking back, it seems that elprincipe has no problem killing fertilized eggs as long as they haven't been "implanted". Why the distinction, elprincipe?]

Easy, many eggs are fertilized and never implanted in the female and start to grow. I don't mourn these as lost lives because they never began life as a person; they were merely fertilized eggs. Once a fertilized egg is implanted in the female and begins to grow on its own, that is a separate, distinct, unique person and not just the two building blocks of a person together.

OK, but [edit: never mind this part, you never said what I'm arguing against. I'll leave it in though.] what does the survival rate of the fertilized eggs have to do with anything? Back in the middle ages when infant mortality rates were just ridiculous would it be OK to have abortion? (I seem to recall that way back when they didn't even name infants in many cultures until a certain age, presumably because so many died soon after birth. I could be wrong though.)

Why does successful implantation into the female make the fertilized egg MORE separate, distinct, and unique? That doesn't make any sense to me at all. Cell division begins to occur immediately; the growth is already underway. Why is a blastocyst human after successfully burrowing into the uterus and not before?

Repeat: Growth begins BEFORE implantation.

Simple, because before that happens there is a good chance that the cells will die naturally.  Once what you've described happens, at some point the cells become a human being, no?  If that is true, at what point?  What other logical point is there, except the point we are talking about?  Babies develop at different rates, so you can't say after X weeks of development.  I suppose you could argue after heartbeats or brainwaves start, but these are semantics; children's brainwaves are different than adults, their bodies are different, yet they are human beings just as much as an adult, so I don't see how smaller children are somehow in a different category.

In Memoriam RVW Jr.

SSBB Friend Code = 5455-9050-8670 (PM me if you add so I can add you!) 

Tetris Party Friend Code = 116129046416 (ditto)

Final Fan, lets go back to this:

"No, the only logical times to define whether a fetus is "human" is at conception or at the moment of birth. Since almost nobody thinks aborting a 9 month fetus is acceptable, the only other logical option is conception. Anything in between is impossible to logically "prove" humanity."

There are plenty of developmental stages during pregnancy. My whole point with this statement is that it is IMPOSSIBLE to scientifically prove at what point a concept such as "humanity" is reached. We can't even define humanity in this discussion in a way that everyone (or even a simple majority) can agree on. This is more a philosophical argument than a scientific one.

HOWEVER, what I said was, since we can't even agree on what the definition of "humanity" is, then its scientifically impossible to determine at what stage in development humanity is reached. Knowing this to be true, then there are only 2 logical time that we can define humanity, at the moment of birth or at the moment of conception.

Anything in between will never be agreed on. Its not black/white, right/wrong at this point. Its pure reason. If you MUST define when a fetus is human, these 2 points in development are the only ones that make logical sense.

Though, I might entertain a compromise from conception to implantation, since eggs fail to implant frequently, and we don't really consider this a lost child.

"Just because we may not be able to pin down exactly when it happens doesn't mean we can't narrow it down at all. If the job of narrowing it down isn't "easy" enough for you, well, there are smarter and more knowledgeable people than you (or me) thinking about the problem"

I would agree with this, if we had CLEAR criteria by which we measure humanity. But we don't, and we never will without someone arbitrarily saying "this is what humanity is." But going by that is no better than going by what an ancient book says.

And please keep the personal attacks to a minimum. I know this is hot topic, but I'm trying to keep things in the realm of reason here. I apologize if it seemed I made a personal attack first (I think my monster comment may have been construed this way), but this was not my intent.

EDIT:  Yes, I know it was metalcube who said that.  Would you rather I double posted a response to avoid confusion?  It was more a comment on relativism, than the argument at hand. 

Witty signature here...

Wii: 14 million by January  I sold myself short

360: 13 million by January I sold microsoft short, but not as bad as Nintendo.

PS3: 6 million by January. If it approaches 8 mil i'll eat crow  Mnn Crow is yummy.

With these results, I've determined that I suck at long term predictions, and will not long term predict anything ever again. Thus spaketh Crono.

Helios said:
Is there any value in human life? No. Thus, there is nothing wrong with "murdering" a fetus.

Does that make it right to kill a man? Well, no, but it doesn't make it wrong either. One could make an argument against murdering sentient life. I, however, would not be one to make it.

Happily, you are in the small minority in this world.  Hopefully you either change your mind or at least don't act on these kinds of beliefs, or else we will have to pay for you to be imprisoned for the rest of your life after ruining someone else's.

In Memoriam RVW Jr.

Around the Network

"^ Do you support the invasion of Iraq?"

If you want to talk about iraq, make your own damn thread.

Witty signature here...

Wii: 14 million by January  I sold myself short

360: 13 million by January I sold microsoft short, but not as bad as Nintendo.

PS3: 6 million by January. If it approaches 8 mil i'll eat crow  Mnn Crow is yummy.

With these results, I've determined that I suck at long term predictions, and will not long term predict anything ever again. Thus spaketh Crono.

NinjaguyDan said:
^ Do you support the invasion of Iraq?

Not at all.

I am against war and I am against abortion. That will never change about me.

Metallicube said:
elprincipe said:
Metallicube said:

The more I read these pro-life arguements, the more I realize that way too many people let their emotions and perspective of what is "morally right" cloud their judgment of logic and reason.

That's funny because I feel the same way many times about arguments made by pro-abortion-legal folks. It is not logical to arbitrarily define humanity based on birth or time in the womb, as most of you do. Strangely, a lot of you will tell us that a baby past his or her due date that could easily be delivered by C-section is not human yet since a thin layer or skin and fluid separates it from the outside world. Or that a non-human fetus magically becomes a human baby after 180 days in the womb, or 120 days the womb. Or that a non-human fetus magically becomes human because it develops a certain organ or feature, despite the fact that newborns - obviously people - still are developing many of their internal systems and bone structure. All of these arguments must be based on some degree of emotion, since they are not reasonably concluded from all the medical knowledge available to us.

um actually, what I explained earlier was basically the OPPOSITE of what you're claiming I said.. In fact, everything your claiming is said by pro choice people is actually used by pro lifers.. Pro lifers are the ones who attempt to define at what time during the pregnancy does the developing fetus become a human when there is no science behind it to back it up. If I read this wrong, please let me know, but that is what I got from reading this... I recognise that everyone has their own view of when a fetus is a human baby and that actually strengthens my main point as to why abortion should remain legal.

Everyone only has their own unique personal perspective, but there is no scientific fact to claim when a fetus becomes a baby. This is why making abortion illegal would become problematic because there would need to be a precise definition of when during the pregnancy the fetus becomes a "human" baby. Making abortion illegal would require the government to designate a specific time in the cycle in which the procedure goes from birth control to "abortion." Where do you draw the line? No matter how early you draw the line, there will still be some extreme pro lifes out there that want to make it extend even further, and soon we'll be banning birth control pills because they stop a potential baby from being born.

To me, what makes a fetus a "baby" is being born. It's logical, it makes sense, and it is a solid definite time. Otherwise why do mothers when pregnant say I'm GOING to have a baby, rather than I have a baby? I know this is stretching it but I'm just trying to make a point. Now this doesn't necessarilly mean that I believe late term abortions are no worse than getting an abortion earlier in the pregnancy, but to me a fetus is a baby when it is born. End of story.

I don't know if you've paid attention to my posts, but I've laid out the most logical point to assume that human life has begun based on facts and scientific inquiry.

Your "extreme pro lifes" argument is a false one that uses the false "slippery slope" argument.  I could just as easily say that because abortion is legal it will follow that eventually pro-abortionists will push to make infanticide legal, but that would be just as dumb.

If you really don't believe a child in the womb is a human being, why do you have any problem with late-term abortion?  After all, it's not human, just a "parasite," right? 

In Memoriam RVW Jr.

Rath said:
@Crono.

Not everything is fucking defined alright? No there is not always such a thing as right or wrong. Is killing an orphan to save a hundred others right? Is sacrificing an army of thousands to save a nation right? Not everything is in a clear section of 'correct' or 'incorrect' just like not everything is 'frog' or 'tadpole' or like everything is 'fetus' or 'person'. Many things are progressive, not sudden. A tadpole slowly changes into a frog just like a fetus slowly changes into a human, somewhere along the line you can say 'alright lets stop doing abortions here' but thats not saying that what you are refusing to abort is completely human, merely human enough.
You cannot say that a fetus at conception is a human because it clearly isn't. It in no way whatsoever resembles a person. It cannot think, move, breathe, eat, it cannot do anything. In the same way you cannot say that a baby 9 months into a pregnancy isn't as it so clearly is, it has the ability to eat breathe think move.

You are treating humanity as something which comes suddenly and as such the only logical points are at either end but humanity isn't, thats where you are going so badly wrong.

Is someone with brain damage not a person?  They cannot think.

Is someone who is paralyzed not a person?  They cannot move.

Is someone who must be fed intravenously not a person?  They cannot eat.

Why do these things define humanity? 

In Memoriam RVW Jr.

NinjaguyDan said:
How many people who claim to be "pro-life" have no problem bombing innocent women and children to death, then, with an almost evil indifference, let the survivors suffer in squalor without basic services or medical care.

I would wager that they are the same idiots who think they can purchase salvation from a televangelist

Stereotype alert!  How many of those who claim to be "pro-choice" have no problem taking away our choices in everything from medical care to what kind of toilet to use?  I would wager they are the same idiots who zealously read and believed Paul R. Ehrlich's work.

In Memoriam RVW Jr.