By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When will WiiU pass PS Vita?

As someone who has a rough idea of what were going to be looking at as far as shipments go I assure you Nintendo is shipping MUCH more than 400k units

Demand for Wii U and Vita isnt even compareable I worked the launch period of both consoles. Nintendo will sell through as many as they ship, as long as they can keep a decent level of shipments they will pass the Vita before 2013

Around the Network

Tow pieces of fact:

Vita launch was 322k according to VGC. At 400k after two weeks. And close to 500k within a month.

A Famitsu survey found a great deal of WiiU excitement with 45% of those surveyed saying it was a Day One purchase: http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/10/3/3447962/wii-u-survey-in-japan-reveals-excitement-with-a-little-trepidation

Supply will be the only constraint. February 2013.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

I hope Nintendo can satisfy demand in Japan. They have Monster Hunter and Mario at launch...let that sink in. If they have 1 million consoles ready then 1 million will be sold. I don't know about the rest of the world, though.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

Honestly I think Nintendo Land could potentially be as big as Mario in Japan.

The mini-game compilation fad really hasn't died off there at all. Wii Sports Resort still is consistently charting in the top 20 and Wii Party sold better in Japan than North America I believe.

Marry that concept to mulitple Nintendo franchises and a theme park concept along with a strong local multiplayer component .... that should be a formula Japan really responds to.

First day for WiiU is going to be huge.

If Nintendo could supply fast enough it will easily surpass the Vita within the year. Even if there are supply constraints, I'd say February '13 at the max. I sadly don't see Vita having anything better than a decent holiday.

Holidays will be worldwide Nintendomination probably. I agree with the Nintendoland sentiment here by the way; massiveness.

Around the Network

January. However in April the Vita will overpass it. Price cut, yeah

some day in the future

Late January or early February

Nintendo and PC gamer

JoeTheBro said:
January. However in April the Vita will overpass it. Price cut, yeah

I don't think the price is really the Vita's biggest problem.

The fact that most older consumers are using smartphones for on-to-go entertainment, rendering a device like Vita useless to older demographics in the West is the big problem.

In Japan, the software lineup is the big problem.

Possible future scenario (found on neogaf):

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.