By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When will WiiU pass PS Vita?

VicViper said:
aikohualda said:
december 31, 2012
im sure japan sale would be at least 2 million by the end of the year if supply is enough...

Zero chances.

In fact, it's not going to launch as good as Vita in Japan, imo, supplied or not.

unless vita would jump in terms of sales... there is a huge change imo

Around the Network

@VGKing Doesn't matter if it's big on consoles because Mario is. I was only pointing out the Vita is a handheld, which needs what the WiiU is getting. Don't forget in Japan the WiiU is not that much more above the Wiis price. Tri has sold more than every game on the Vita so far, so it's big enough. MonHun being smaller on consoles is irrelevant, its like if Activision stopped making CoD for 360/PS3 and released for the 3DS. That's bad because it's their biggest game.

Never.

Pachter told me that soon after the launch of the Wii U, Sony's PR will rename the PSP as the PSVita Light boosting the Vita sales to around 80 million.

Signature goes here!

To me, it will depend on who has the holiday season this year and who has the most supply. Since there won't be any price cuts for the Vita this year (although there should be some bundles) I don't see the Vita selling more than 3.5m worldwide by years end.

Now Nintendo, seeing as how the Wii was supply constrained and possibly the Wii U might be as well, if the Wii U has more supply than what the Vita should sell by years end (3.5m worldwide) then I will say the Wii U will already outsell the Vita by years end easily.

Now if that's not the case, then I'll say by March 2013 after the slow Jan-Feb period.

Generation 8 Predictions so far.....(as of 9/2013)

Console that will sell most: Nintendo Wii U

Who will sell more consoles between Microsoft/SONY: SONY

phenom08 said:
@Vic Yes "usually" portable systems sell more. Definitely not going to be the case here. The 3DS will surpass the PS3 soon in Japan, while the PS3 is looking to keep its lead over Vita for a very long time. The U already has what the Vita needs desperately(MonHun) and of course Mario. The WiiUs launch is looking to be massive, especially in Japan.

I really don't think so.... we'll see.

Vita numbers were great, imo, twice the PSP's.

That's why.

Around the Network

The Wii U launch for Japan is pretty strong actually, stronger than any recent product launch there IMO. Far better than the 3DS and Vita launches and probably a tad better than the Wii launch in 2006.

New Super Mario Bros. U, Nintendo Land, Monster Hunter Tri G Ultimate, and the free Dragon Quest X beta are fairly substantial.

Better than the Wii launch I think, Mario >>>>> Zelda, and I think Nintendo Land is going to be huge in Japan, people are underestimating that. Even Wii Party sold 1+ million in Japan with ease, the Nintendo theme park concept squeezed into a Wii Play style game is going to be huge there IMO. Maybe not quite as big as Wii Sports, but not far off either.

Monster Hunter won't have the impact of the handheld version, but it's still a solid release. People forget, it took 3 years for the Wii to get NSMB and even longer to get Monster Hunter Tri. Way too long ... that was the Wii's problem.

The other thing is with the Vita flopping and the PSP petering out, basically the opening for the "no.2 game system in Japan" is now wide open for the Wii U to take (3DS obviously will be no.1). If they can get off to a fast start and get more Japanese third party support faster in the system's life cycle, they could push Sony out of the market entirely.

first day

December 2012

With the rumored 400,000 availbel wiiu's at launch, first day week month, isn't going to happen. Some people here give the wii u way to much credit. But it launching just like the vita did, excellent line up of ports and a few gems. High price, and lack of a focused market. If I had to guess it will be late feb when it passes, if the vita sales don't pick up.

January 2013 I think.