By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So, is Resident Evil a Playstation Franchise or an Xbox Franchise, now?

Tagged games:

Resident Evil is most beloved on:

Xbox consoles 26 13.83%

Playstation consoles 110 58.51%

Nintendo got Resident Evil 0 and nobody else 52 27.66%

Total:188
Bristow9091 said:
NightDragon83 said:
F0X said:
RE seems to be everything but an Xbox franchise. Main games do best of Sony platforms, and Nintendo nowadays gets a few exclusive spin-offs (one of which, Revelations, has comparable production values to the main series). 360 plays second fiddle to the PS3 and doesn't get any exclusives.

To be fair it's been a long time since Sony got an exclusive entry in the main RE series (not counting stuff like Survivor / Outbreak) at launch.  You'd have to go all the way back to RE3 for that.

In fact since the release of 3, Nintendo has gotten more main entry exclusives in the RE franchise than Sony has... Nintendo got 0 and 4.

... I remember playing Resident Evil 4 on my PS2, what are you talking about?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Resident-Evil-4-PS2/dp/B0007A5FY4/ref=dp_cp_ob_vg_h__title_0

It launched as a GC exclusive but was later ported, just as all the original PS1 RE titles were at one point or another.

The point being... RE 1-3 were the only Sony exclusives at launch... the rest were either exclusive to other systems at launch (Code Veronica on DC, 0 and 4 on GC), or launched on multiple systems simultaneously (5, 6).

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network

It started out on the PS1 so I consider is a PlayStation franchise. Even though last generation the franchise got the most support on the GameCube and this generation its mostly multiplatform.

I'm still impressed by RE5's sales on Xbox 360. First RE on it, right?

But to answer you question, I don't consider it to be either.

Everyone needs to play Lost Odyssey! Any opposition to this and I will have to just say, "If it's a fight you want, you got it!"

Nightwish224 said:
I'm still impressed by RE5's sales on Xbox 360. First RE on it, right?

But to answer you question, I don't consider it to be either.

Part of the 360's fanbase came from the PS2. This should explain a chunk of those sales.

None of the above. The franchise belongs to Capcom and Capcom only. They'll put whatever Resident Evil game on any platform they want.

Around the Network

I think it will sell more on PS3, but not by much.

Only because of Japan. If you take Japan out of the equation then Xbox360. But if you take USA out of the equation then it's back to PS3. So, yeah.

Anyway, the DS game is better than RE6 so I think it really should be considered a Nintendo portable franchise now. Or rather I think Capcom might see it that way now.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Resident Evil 1 is on Sega Saturn.

Resident Evil 2, 3 and Code Veronica are on Dreamcast.

It's a Sega franchise.

Multiplat.

binary solo said:
Only because of Japan. If you take Japan out of the equation then Xbox360. But if you take USA out of the equation then it's back to PS3. So, yeah.

Anyway, the DS game is better than RE6 so I think it really should be considered a Nintendo portable franchise now. Or rather I think Capcom might see it that way now.

Surprisisngly, that isn't totally the case, if you look at the sales of RE5, American sales are roughly equal, with a big lead in Europe and Others. In Japan the lead is huge, but even without it, RE6 sales would probably be higher on PS3.