By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So, is Resident Evil a Playstation Franchise or an Xbox Franchise, now?

Tagged games:

Resident Evil is most beloved on:

Xbox consoles 26 13.83%

Playstation consoles 110 58.51%

Nintendo got Resident Evil 0 and nobody else 52 27.66%

Total:188
d21lewis said:

I could look at the sales for RE5 but I'm what you call lazy.  A while back, I asked if Batman: Arkham City would sell more on the PS3 or the 360 and, to be honest, I never even bothered to check the final results.  Can somebody be a dear and find out for me?

On topic (don't think I won't go off topic in the OP of my own topic.  I'll do it!), Resident Evil got it's start back in 1996 on the Sony Playstation and Sega Saturn.  It's always been multi-plat, showing its face on Dreamcast, Gamecube, N64, Gameboy, and pretty much any viable platform that wasn't portable and made by Sony.  Despite Resident Evil's whore status, people have historically considered it a Playstation franchise.  So, the question is this:

Which platform do you think will sell the most copies of Resident Evil 6?  Playstation or Xbox?  Winner will be named the Grand Puba of Resident Evil or some shit.  Plead your case!

*oh, and d21lewis don't give a fuck if you think RE6 sucks or not.  that's not what d21lewis was asking.*

Are you kidding me, RE has a history with PS ever since PS1.

Around the Network
TheBardsSong said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
brendude13 said:
kain_kusanagi said:
Resident Evil 1 is on Sega Saturn.

Resident Evil 2, 3 and Code Veronica are on Dreamcast.

It's a Sega franchise.

0, REmake, 2, 3, CV and 4 are all on the Gamecube.

It's a Nintendo franchise, seriously.

All of the main games in the franchise are on Playstation (Plus Code Veronica) and never left. Even some of the spinoffs are as well. Nintendo got some remakes and and spin offs. Nintendo has been the spin off console since the Playstation first came out. I loved the GC versions of Resident Evil remakes though.

Actually... Revelations, Zero, and Code Veronica are all considered main games. The GC actually got more main games last gen than the PS2 did (it got mostly the spin-offs like the Outbreak titles and then eventually ports of Code Veronica and 4).

They were created off of the beaten path, is my point. The officially marketed games are all on playstation. 

Turkish said:
d21lewis said:

I could look at the sales for RE5 but I'm what you call lazy.  A while back, I asked if Batman: Arkham City would sell more on the PS3 or the 360 and, to be honest, I never even bothered to check the final results.  Can somebody be a dear and find out for me?

On topic (don't think I won't go off topic in the OP of my own topic.  I'll do it!), Resident Evil got it's start back in 1996 on the Sony Playstation and Sega Saturn.  It's always been multi-plat, showing its face on Dreamcast, Gamecube, N64, Gameboy, and pretty much any viable platform that wasn't portable and made by Sony.  Despite Resident Evil's whore status, people have historically considered it a Playstation franchise.  So, the question is this:

Which platform do you think will sell the most copies of Resident Evil 6?  Playstation or Xbox?  Winner will be named the Grand Puba of Resident Evil or some shit.  Plead your case!

*oh, and d21lewis don't give a fuck if you think RE6 sucks or not.  that's not what d21lewis was asking.*

Are you kidding me, RE has a history with PS ever since PS1.

Yeah.  I know.  When I got my PS1, I bought Tomb Raider a month before I got the console (used to listen to the audio on my CD player and imagine how awesome it was going to be) and when I got my PS1 w/ free copy of  Battle Arena Toshinden, I also bought Resident Evil.  I still have it.

There are quite a few third party franchises that were pretty much synonymous with Playstation.  Tekken, Ridge Racer, Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, Klonoa, Wipeout, etc.  As time went on, the franchises went in every direction.  For some reason, I had it in my head that Resident Evil 5 was actually bigger on the 360 than on the PS3.  I was wrong, though.  It pays to not assume things.

It's dumb to place Resident Evil as any console specific franchise.  Just like how we can't specify COD to any console.  The best thing for them to do is keep it as multplatform so all bases are covered.

Really, there should only be one reason for exclusivity, which is First party games. 

I think it will sell more on ps3, even with microsofts attempt to steal some fans with the timed exclusive content.
Has microsoft had an impact in the change of direction the series has taken, especially with giving dlc cash & all?

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:

Only Resident Evil thread I could find. I think I played the original enough....

Daily Reaction: Is it Time to Reboot Resident Evil?

That post was actually worthy enough to have its own thread, Spurge.

Apparently, it's still more popular on the Playstation overall. More popular on the 360 here in my homeland of North America.