By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - GameSpot Strikes again! Gives Pokemon White version 2 a disappointing score~ So bad it would make Pachter sick to his stomach.

It's just another example of "read our shocking review" from Gamespot... I'm convinced they do it to get hits from angry fans on their webpage. Ultimately we all know it's Pokemon, it will be similar to previous games and anyone who likes the franchise will love it (oh and it will make millions...) hurray!

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
Player2 said:
KylieDog said:
New Pokemon games are 90% the same game before it, throw in some new pokemon and a new map and there is a sequel.

Why does it deserve a better score?

Yeah sure.

Gameplay changes since RBY:

Special stat split in Special Attack and Special Defense.

Two new types to balance the game.

New moves.

Equipped items.

Natures.

Abilities.

EV Spreads.

Breeding.

Special and Physical attacks for every type.

Lots of moves have been tweaked for balance.

The mentioned new pokemon.

And I'm sure i'm missing some of the newer ones.

In 11 sequels that is hardly anything.

ITs a lot it makes the core gameplay a lot deeper.

Now, on a serious note, I think reviews will be meaningless for this game.

6.5 isn't even that low of a score... gamespot actually has been using full scale. not that I agree with their scores.

I mean I'd give pokemon platinum a 5 or 6, even thoughts it's predecessor's I'd give an 8.5.
I mean, people get mad at DLC, but pokemon's done this for years in requiring you to buy 2 games or have access to atleast 2 games to get the complete game (not counting promotional events etc).

Though it's brilliant marketing and I don't disagree with their strategy.

"PS -- it was funny to watch my 10-year-old son engage three Gamestop GSAs in a Pokemon conversation on Saturday."

@mike_intellivision: I'd watched that over a presidential debate any day! I just wish you had your camera rolling! XD

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!
Around the Network
mike_intellivision said:
KylieDog said:
New Pokemon games are 90% the same game before it, throw in some new pokemon and a new map and there is a sequel.

Why does it deserve a better score?

While I am not one to normally agree with KylieDog, he has a point about the fact that Pokemon is essentially the same core game time-after-time.

However, that has not stopped reviewers from gushing over from many of the FPS and sandbox games which essentially are different window dressing on the same events.

So while there is a point here -- the point is that reviewers are biased and give better scores to games they like to play rather than viewing them on their own merit.  And no game is everyone's cup of tea.

Mike from Morgantown

PS -- it was funny to watch my 10-year-old son engage three Gamestop GSAs in a Pokemon conversation on Saturday. 

Do they seem to have a problem with Madden every year?  Just syain'.

Edit:  Beaten.  Badly.

I see this as a fair score, the amount of things that get changed are so minimal.

This review score won't mean anything guys, we all know how great this game will do at retail.

Seems an excellent score for a Pokémon new game sequel of a sequel of a sequel, etc.!

(sneaks away trying to not wake up obsessive compulsive Pokémon fans)

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Other than the needless plot hate (BW had a great plot no matter what you say) it seems like a fair score...the problem is consistency. If this gets a 6.5 for being the same as before than why does MW3 get an 8.5?