By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Embracing the Wii U: 5 Reasons Haters Should Reconsider Slamming the Console

SlayerRondo said:
Soleron said:

I have to disagree partly with some of the points you have raised

- Given that we dont fully know the power of the WiiU it is a bit early to assume what games do and dont use all its power.

We know it is at least as good as the PS360 and has a 1-2 year old midrange AMD GPU plus 3-core CPU plus 1GB of RAM. That's all good info to work from. Are there any other announced first-party games that will look better than what the Wii could put out?

- What console in History has launched with a game taking advantage of all its power?

Metroid Prime, Mario Sunshine, Rogue Squadron were all announced prior to Gamecube launch, and werern't exceeded in the console's lifetime. Where are the announced Wii U boundary-pushing games? Is it not reasonable to assume they don't exist?

- Yes the potential of the WiiU remotes screen has not been untilized to the best of its capabilities so far but has the DS not shown the potential of a second screen. The Wii motion controlls also were quite poor quality for what they claimed but a second screen is a second screen and we know what were getting.

I don't doubt the hardware. I doubt that any company, even Nintendo, will exploit the potential it gives us, precisely because they failed to constantly put out motion-using software for Wii and touchlscreen for DS. Those console's best games were more often than not avoiding the hardware feature. And no, no the DS has not shown that potential. Name some games that sold because of the second screen.

- Nintendo will only decrease game development for the WiiU if people stop buying games for the WiiU and thats in the event the console is already failing and therefore irrelevant.

They decreased it for GC when DS came out, DS when Wii came out and Wii when 3DS came out. Why would Nintendo stop now?

- The fact that third parties are putting games on the WiiU is a good sign that they are supporting the console.

There is no indication it will continue. GC and Vita had amazing announced support at launch that died immediately. At any rate their 'support' so far is not exclusives but instead late ports. When PS4/720 comes out don't you think they'll pack up and go there leaving Wii U to get downgraded ports or nothing at all?

- Maybe third parties will not bring all PS4/Xbox720 games to the WiiU and maybe all WiiU third party games wont end up on the PS4?Xbox720

You're right, we don't know. So why buy it until we know that support will be good even after the competition releases?

- Nintendo has the best first party line-up of either Sony or Microsoft in terms of critical acclaim and sales and therefore dont require the same level of third party support that PS4 and Xbox 720 will.

The Nintendo games that got critical acclaim actually sold very poorly last gen. Compare SMG to NSMB Wii, Metroid to AAA shooters on other consoles, Skyward to past Zelda games. What held up the Wii was the mediocrely reviewed games: NSMB Wii, Wii Sports, Wii Fit, MKWii. And yes NSMB U will hold up the console but if their plan is to make more 3D Mario/Zelda/Metroid instead of casual games that will NOT be enough to make it sell. This is regardless of how good those games are, I'm talking business.

Around the Network
JustThatGamer said:

God of War: Ascension >>>> Bayonetta 2. 

Doubtful, as none of the God of War games so far are as good as the first Bayonetta. ;)

I was expecting more BS in this list then there was. My reaction, for whatever it's worth.

1. Hardly relevant. Can't think of a single Wii game Nintendo released that would be substantially improved by HD. So Hyrule gets a longer draw distance and Super Mario Galaxy gets what? More particles skipping around?

2. This is true. Not as many as the wiimote introduced, and much of the ground already covered by DS, iOS and Android, but having a fixed screen and a separate reorientable screen is something new.

3. Nobody's gonna argue that the Wii's online couldn't have been more elegant, and I think I like the idea of BYO storage. I just hope Nintendo makes that storage easy to manage.

4. Eh, maybe the publishers are struggling because they're boneheads. They make what I want and they get my money, if they don't, then they don't. It's not my fault if they throw infinity dollars at mediocre cinematic sequences and decide the only games worth publishing are bromantic shooters and cynical minigame compilations. Seems to me that if a lot of these games had the fat cut out of them and weren't sequel-mined to exhaustion, they could actually turn a reliable profit.

5. Sure, fine. But the proof is in the pudding.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Watch Nintendo drop the price next year like they did with the 3DS.

curl-6 said:
JustThatGamer said:

Doubtful, as none of the God of War games so far are as good as the first Bayonetta. ;)

This is quite true.

Around the Network
lilbroex said:
Player1x3 said:
lilbroex said:
Player1x3 said:
DieAppleDie said:
Player1x3
Since PC, PS3 and Xbox offer more or less the same, chosing one out o the 3 should be enough....for me Nintendo and PC combo is the real deal

3rd parties and the majority of VG market would disagree

I thought it was pretty well established since the beginning of the cur...last gen that everyone had a Wii and one other console with it.

Oh im not disagreeing that Wii+HD console or Pc is the best combo, im just trying to realize how can someone not be a gamer if he doesn't care about Nintendo

Because they are the ones who defined gaming as we know it. Well, they and SEGA, but, ya know.

Gaming as we know it today = HD, online, gamertags, DLCs, more mature games, more violence, HDD and 3D. Nintendo has nearly no involvement in these aspects. I know they were pretty 'definitive' back in 90's but gaming today would have been much smaller and different if it were no Microsoft and Sony. Nintendo will always have a special place in the industry, but to completely ignore the other major players is stupid

curl-6 said:
JustThatGamer said:

The Market and the critics would highly disagree

My quick thoughts:

HD - irrelevant to most Nintendo franchises.  Would be nice for Metroid.  Otherwise I have a 360.

Gamepad - The lack of true motion gaming is a definite minus in my books.  I have yet to see it really adding anything new.

Online - I will believe it when I actually see it.   Would be appreciated.

Support - Nintendo fans have said this every generation since GC and been disappointed every time.  I don't expect WiiU to be different.  For the record, I said it to for Wii (but it was outselling the other two consoles combined at the time).

Games - Yes, I'm sure like GC and Wii before it, WiiU will have some great games.   When enough of them come out, I will consider getting a WiiU.  Unless the competition has offered something better.

Player1x3 said:
curl-6 said:
JustThatGamer said:

The Market and the critics would highly disagree

Those both gravitate towards familiar brand names.

I have to disagree partly with some of the points you have raised

- Given that we dont fully know the power of the WiiU it is a bit early to assume what games do and dont use all its power.

We know it is at least as good as the PS360 and has a 1-2 year old midrange AMD GPU plus 3-core CPU plus 1GB of RAM. That's all good info to work from. Are there any other announced first-party games that will look better than what the Wii could put out?

Alot of what you're saying about the GPU and CPU is vauge and still much is unknown.

- What console in History has launched with a game taking advantage of all its power?

Metroid Prime, Mario Sunshine, Rogue Squadron were all announced prior to Gamecube launch, and werern't exceeded in the console's lifetime. Where are the announced Wii U boundary-pushing games? Is it not reasonable to assume they don't exist?

Resident evil 4 released late in the consoles life cycle is considered by many to be the best looking game for the console making the best of its hardware power. With other comparable HD consoles it took longer than ever to display the full potential of what they could do and i expect no different for the WiiU. 

- Yes the potential of the WiiU remotes screen has not been untilized to the best of its capabilities so far but has the DS not shown the potential of a second screen. The Wii motion controlls also were quite poor quality for what they claimed but a second screen is a second screen and we know what were getting.

I don't doubt the hardware. I doubt that any company, even Nintendo, will exploit the potential it gives us, precisely because they failed to constantly put out motion-using software for Wii and touchlscreen for DS. Those console's best games were more often than not avoiding the hardware feature. And no, no the DS has not shown that potential. Name some games that sold because of the second screen.

The use of the second screen on the DS was signifigantly better done and more used by Nintendo than the Motion Controls on the Wii. A second screen can be used easily whether its for displaying a map or revealing things not viewable on the main screen and does not need to be forced in like motion controls.

- Nintendo will only decrease game development for the WiiU if people stop buying games for the WiiU and thats in the event the console is already failing and therefore irrelevant.

They decreased it for GC when DS came out, DS when Wii came out and Wii when 3DS came out. Why would Nintendo stop now?

You're assuming causation when its far more likely correlation. We saw Nintendo's Wii decline come after third parties failed to deliver enough support to keep core franchises on the console. With declining Wii sales it only makes sense to divert resources to the DS.

- The fact that third parties are putting games on the WiiU is a good sign that they are supporting the console.

There is no indication it will continue. GC and Vita had amazing announced support at launch that died immediately. At any rate their 'support' so far is not exclusives but instead late ports. When PS4/720 comes out don't you think they'll pack up and go there leaving Wii U to get downgraded ports or nothing at all?

The Gamecube and Vita also suffered from incredibly poor launch sales and therefore make poor comparisons to the WiiU already selling out of a signifigant portion of its day one stock.

- Maybe third parties will not bring all PS4/Xbox720 games to the WiiU and maybe all WiiU third party games wont end up on the PS4?Xbox720

You're right, we don't know. So why buy it until we know that support will be good even after the competition releases?

Why wait from 1 to 2 years for a console to come out then another year to see post launch support before buying the WiiU? Because that's an incredibly long time thats why. And the same argument could be made for any console including the Xbox720 if it launches before the PS4 or if a new hard-ware revision is just around the corner.

- Nintendo has the best first party line-up of either Sony or Microsoft in terms of critical acclaim and sales and therefore dont require the same level of third party support that PS4 and Xbox 720 will.

The Nintendo games that got critical acclaim actually sold very poorly last gen. Compare SMG to NSMB Wii, Metroid to AAA shooters on other consoles, Skyward to past Zelda games. What held up the Wii was the mediocrely reviewed games: NSMB Wii, Wii Sports, Wii Fit, MKWii. And yes NSMB U will hold up the console but if their plan is to make more 3D Mario/Zelda/Metroid instead of casual games that will NOT be enough to make it sell. This is regardless of how good those games are, I'm talking business.

If you look at what i said i mentioned the Nintendo was the best first party developer in terms of critical acclaim AND sales. And Nintendo is not going to abandon the core Nintendo gamers who buy the Mario Galaxy's, Zelda's, Metroid's and so on. Comparing the sales of games like Mario Kart Wii and New Super Mario Bros Wii to other Nintendo games is absurd as they are some of the best selling games of all time. Compare the sales of New Super Mario Bros Wii to Halo 3 or Uncharted  and look how that turns out. Nintendo will provide a compination of great selling games like New Super Mario Bros WiiU and games appealing the core Nintendo gamers like Pikmin 3. Also it makes no sense to stop making games that while making money dont make as much as others. 

PS: Wii Sports is a pack in and not a good indication of a great selling game.

This is the Game of Thrones

Where you either win

or you DIE