By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Embracing the Wii U: 5 Reasons Haters Should Reconsider Slamming the Console

Player1x3
not exclusively, but pretty much....yes

Around the Network

Eh, no sense in getting riled up about the haters. Let them hate I say. If anything, it shows they're concerned about the possible success of the console. Of course this isn't always the case, as some people simply don't like Nintendo games, which I respect too. To each his own I say. But after putting up with anti-Nintendo folk for over a decade I've found that more often than not they are merely threatened by Nintendo's approach to gaming which conflicts with their own. The mainstream journalists are always going to hate on Nintendo because of the influence the Sony and MS powerhouses have on them and on society. Just the way it is. Those with the most money tend to dictate the propaganda in society. Might as well get use to it.

All I know is the Wii U has a plethroa of games that appeals to me so I'm going to get it. Doesn't matter to me how many haters it has. Didn't matter that the Cube was mocked as Barney the Dinosaur's purple lunchbox and that it was largely shunned and ignored by the industry. It was still my favorite console. If you like something, it shouldn't matter that others don't.

JustThatGamer said:

Ugh, why can't hardcore Nintendo fans accept that some people just don't like Nintendo? I'm not a 'hater', to be a hater I'd actually have to care about Nintendo's products and I don't, I don't like any of Nintendos franchises and probably never will because they refuse to make any worthwhile new IPs. I don't like what I've seen of the Wii U at all, to answer why I'll just repsond to the 5 reasons I should love it:

1) HD Nintendo Games for the First Time -  don't care for a single Nintendo IP, HD won't make a difference.
2) The GamePad Offers New Possibilities -  The GamePad is a horribly designed gimmick, not interested. 
3) It Won’t Repeat Wii’s Mistakes -  The Xbox 360 & PS3 have perfectly fine online support, storage and consistent amount of desirable games. 
4) The Next Generation and Support of Struggling Publishers - Video game graphics have huge room for improvemnt, PS4 & 720 will make the Wii U look a generation behind. I'd rather wait for new IPs on the other platforms, they both do a much better in than Nintendo in this regard.
5) The Games! -  Again, I don't like any of Nintendo IPs. Sony and Microsoft's next gen consoles will get better 3rd support than the Wii U next gen, even if the Wii U has much better 3rd party support than the Wii had. And as for the examples, Left 4 Dead > Zombie U & God of War: Ascension >>>> Bayonetta 2. 

So the Wii U, Nintendo as a company offer nothing that interests pr excites me. I can see why some people are interested in the Wii U and like Nintendo products, I have no problem with that, I do however hate being called a hater just because I genuinely don't like something.
>User was moderated for this post [RH]

I appreciate your honest opinion about the potential of the Wii U.

But do you really not care about any Nintendo IP?

The Legend of Zelda, Super Mario, and Metroid are three of the best franchises ever made, if not THE best. Then there's Donkey Kong, Star Fox, F-Zero, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros., Fire Emblem, Golden Sun, etc., etc.

If you haven't played any of these games, I highly recommend them. If you have, and genuinely don't like any of them, I guess I don't know what to say.

Wow! I think I just met the first person who doesn't like any IP from Nintendo. Strange world we live in. O.o

We need moar Zelda, now!

We need moar Unchartedzz!

We need less DLCs.

DieAppleDie said:
Player1x3
not exclusively, but pretty much....yes

So same can be said about Sony and Microsoft Corporation

Around the Network

I don't like when people throw the word "gimmick" around. Graphics are used as a gimmick all the time yet no one yells out gimmick when better graphics come along.
Did a quick google for a definition of gimmick.
gim·mick/ˈgimik/
Noun:
A trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or business.

Now do you see how loose this term is? Stop using the term as if it were an inherently bad thing because Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, and any other gaming company uses gimmicks. The tablet controller is a gimmick, yes, but it also does things other than just gimmicky stuff. Some of you guys are so dense, it's embarrassing.

Player1x3
Since PC, PS3 and Xbox offer more or less the same, chosing one out o the 3 should be enough....for me Nintendo and PC combo is the real deal

DieAppleDie said:
Player1x3
Since PC, PS3 and Xbox offer more or less the same, chosing one out o the 3 should be enough....for me Nintendo and PC combo is the real deal

This.

I was WiixPC last gen and it was great.

WiiUxPC FTW

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

_crazy_man_ said:
DieAppleDie said:
Player1x3

This.

I was WiixPC last gen and it was great.

WiiUxPC FTW

Spoken like a true gentlemen.

Soleron said:

Obvious rebuttals

- Nothing first-party that takes advantage of its power has been announced except maybe Pikmin 3.
- Then announce games with those possibilities in. The Wii/Kinect/Move showed you can get burned by waiting for potential to be realised.
- Those weren't the mistakes costing it sales, except possibly stable online matchmaking. And the state of that on Wii U looks the same as Wii, reading between the lines. We know Nintendo will abandon Wii U development in a few years in favour of 3DS+1 just like they did for Wii->3DS->Wii U in that order.
- There is no evidence that third parties are choosing to support Wii U, or that cross-platform titles with /next/-gen will arrive at the same time or same condition on Wii U as they will on PS4/X720.
- ZombiU is the best example of a third party game? Bayonetta is paid for, no one else is voluntarily bringing AAA-style Wii U exclusives. "We'll have many games that use GamePad" - then please announce them first.

All in all the article wants us to buy on promises which the Wii and 3DS also had plenty of. Rational customers will wait for games they want to buy to come out before actually purchasing. Hating on Wii U is also irrational, but making an informed choice not to buy just yet is sensible.

If you buy it and use it for ZombiU and such games... there will be more of that kind of software. If you buy it and just use Nintendo Land and Just Dance 4, then it will soon be very similar to Wii.

The launch of each console tries to be diverse attracting both core and casual players and covering as many popular genre as possible. Beyond the launch the support starts to get dependend on the reliability of certain types of games having audience/selling on that console. You can expect Nintendo to keep making their games on it... but 3rd party support will depend on your choices.

Also, if you only care about 3rd party games, then why buy a new console when Steam/X360/PS3 will be able to play the bulk of them for a good while longer... unless you really want 1080p native, Gamepad for map/inventory, and a switch/change from Steam/PSN/XboxLive to MiiVerse.